• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cash in your card case?

aspriel

Reaction score
I love slim card cases. They're much slimmer without the corresponding money clip. My -only- question with these is that, yes, it can carry a couple folded bills very nicely. What do I do when I hand over a $20 for coffee and get 3 $5s and 2 $1s back?

(If I don't own a separate clip.)

Jl24

Reaction score
I use a money clip, but I don't like too many small bills as it starts to get bulky. I usually use my credit card to pay, and rack up a lot of reward points as well. I save cash for cash-only places.

Btw, which card case do you have? I'm looking for one without a money clip as well.

Maybe someone else here has a better suggestion? I would also like to hear about this.

aspriel

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying one from Prada - nice leather one with two/three card slots on one side with a ID window on the obverse.

minimal

Reaction score
Ten years ago I switched to carrying just a slim card case with 3 business cards and 4 credit/bank cards in it, with my cash in a clip. I can get away without the clip if I only have a few twenties, folded in thirds, in the case.

I do what I can to minimize the amount of cash I'm carrying. I tip bigger now, and more often, in part to get rid of the small stuff. Not that I'm some super tipper, but I've found that I like doing so and it really doesn't add up to much on a yearly basis (it only seems like it).

I have two card cases: one a black Prada (that name's coming up a lot recently!) textured case, with the name invisibly embossed in tiny letters. The other is in color 8 cordovan which is available from Alden Fan, with the Alden logo unfortunately rather large but its still quite nice.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I use the Hartmann Weekend card case, which has a center opening for cash. You can overload the cash pocket, but it will hold quite a bit, really. I don't really want to carry a case and a money clip, and switching to the Hartmann is the best thing I've ever done wallet/money clip wise.

Mblova

Reaction score
What are some good brands to look at when trying to purchase money clips or slim card holders?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Jack Spade and Paul Smith.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
What are some good brands to look at when trying to purchase money clips or slim card holders?

I have a great double-sided silver money clip from Brooks Bros (the only BB article in my house btw). Very convenient as I put cards on one clip and bills on the other
993C.jpg

Jl24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I have a great double-sided silver money clip from Brooks Bros (the only BB article in my house btw). Very convenient as I put cards on one clip and bills on the other

Nice, I like the double-sided.

I personally have a Cartier silver clip.

arced

Reaction score
Quick question, what's the maximum number of cards for a money clip? Is 6 too many? I'm trying to figure out the best way to abandon my wallet.

strazzaque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jl24
Btw, which card case do you have? I'm looking for one without a money clip as well.

I am a considerably lower cost shopper, and often disagree with what people find stylish on this forum. I still come back to read though, because there are some posts where I can always learn something, and perhaps contribute.

With that in mind, this is what I use (refer to attachment)
As with many of my exotic items it was from eBay, an Australian seller called oldchinaservice. He's got some now, as a matter of fact.

When travelling, I use a brown felt cardholder (nothing fancy, an affordable Corban and Blair), which is both light and enables me to get through security checkpoints without having to take my wallet out of pocket.

The only luxury I'd consider shelling out for, if I could ever bring myself to spend that much, would be this Ugo Cacciatori card case. It has been covered before on this forum. (see other 3 pictures)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
Quick question, what's the maximum number of cards for a money clip? Is 6 too many? I'm trying to figure out the best way to abandon my wallet.

I personally have in mine: 2 credit cards, 1 ID card, 1 metrocard, 1 gym card and 1 golf practice range card. I could probably have another one there but I don't feeld the need to

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strazzaque
When travelling, I use a brown felt cardholder (nothing fancy, an affordable Corban and Blair), which is both light and enables me to get through security checkpoints without having to take my wallet out of pocket.

This was a consideration for me when I quit carrying a moneyclip.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
I love slim card cases. They're much slimmer without the corresponding money clip. My -only- question with these is that, yes, it can carry a couple folded bills very nicely. What do I do when I hand over a $20 for coffee and get 3 $5s and 2 $1s back?

(If I don't own a separate clip.)

Put the chnage in one of your back pockets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads