• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Level of ties/tie makers?

Timothy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info Steve, that was above and beyond what I was hoping for. Also thanks Renwick, I actually checked the Kitons out Sunday and figured it out by taking a peak into the folds of the tie. Now for another question, are Hermes typically 5 fold for the three I have are? Also what are the quality of Barney's ties for that is what they have a bunch of, not Saks? I have the feeling that most of the ties they have are mediocre at best, but there is a few jems in there like the Kitons. The labels they had were: Kolte, Ugo Rossi, Atea, hicky Freeman, Basile, Z inc, Bassi & Bassi, Christopher Lacroix, Format, Piattelli, Zadi, Barbera, Petronius, Zanzara, Richel, XMI, Venanzi, Krizia Uomo, Nicky, Pavone, Guy Laroche Diffusion, G. Visconti, Charvet, Bottega Veneta, and the Kitons.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The labels they had were: Kolte, Ugo Rossi, Atea, hicky Freeman, Basile, Z inc, Bassi & Bassi, Christopher Lacroix, Format, Piattelli, Zadi, Barbera, Petronius, Zanzara, Richel, XMI, Venanzi, Krizia Uomo, Nicky, Pavone, Guy Laroche Diffusion, G. Visconti, Charvet, Bottega Veneta, and the Kitons.
Atea is a bit skimpy, but a decent tie.

pstoller

Reaction score
The labels they had were: Kolte, Ugo Rossi, Atea, Hickey Freeman, Basile, Z inc, Bassi & Bassi, Christopher Lacroix, Format, Piattelli, Zadi, Barbera, Petronius, Zanzara, Richel, XMI, Venanzi, Krizia Uomo, Nicky, Pavone, Guy Laroche Diffusion, G. Visconti, Charvet, Bottega Veneta, and the Kitons.
I have ties from Basile and Pavone that I like quite a bit. Charvet, Kiton and Barbera are excellent. Bottega Veneta ought to be decent. Most of the rest, beyond what I've read here, I have no clue.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thought i'd post about a new tie i bought while in orlando, at the new NM (small, but the millenium mall is kinda neat). guess i am getting to be a sucker for ties sold with little booklets which sing its praises and craftsmanship.

it's a Villa Bolgheri Italia....anyone heard of them? the silk is sort of a stiff satin, and it has huge basting stitches down the center with a thick blue silk thread/ cord. really liked the pattern, gold with a thick navy diag stripe, each of which has two red thin stripes.

thc

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info Steve, that was above and beyond what I was hoping for. Also thanks Renwick, I actually checked the Kitons out Sunday and figured it out by taking a peak into the folds of the tie. Now for another question, are Hermes typically 5 fold for the three I have are? Also what are the quality of Barney's ties for that is what they have a bunch of, not Saks? I have the feeling that most of the ties they have are mediocre at best, but there is a few jems in there like the Kitons. The labels they had were: Kolte, Ugo Rossi, Atea, hicky Freeman, Basile, Z inc, Bassi & Bassi, Christopher Lacroix, Format, Piattelli, Zadi, Barbera, Petronius, Zanzara, Richel, XMI, Venanzi, Krizia Uomo, Nicky, Pavone, Guy Laroche Diffusion, G. Visconti, Charvet, Bottega Veneta, and the Kitons.
Hickey Freeman, Piattelli, Barbera, Nicky, Charvet, Kiton and Bottega Veneta stand out to me as very good quality ties. I would jump on the last 6, since they're very hard to find at a discount. Krizia & Lacroix should be good too. I don't know about the other brands.

However, if these ties are all at pretty good prices, and you like a particular tie, just get it w/o regard to the brand. I would imagine that all of the brands you mentioned are at least of good-decent quality, and none are mediocre.

Finally the Barney's private-label is very good quality and often a much better deal than buying one of the designers. Most of their stuff is made in the same factories as the more expensive designer stuff. I've never owned a Barneys tie, but would surprised if the quality of their ties wasn't good.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
Hello from 2011.

Anyone know where Valentino ties fit on the quality ladder? Syms sells them for $60 a piece.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
Hello from 2011.

Anyone know where Valentino ties fit on the quality ladder? Syms sells them for $60 a piece.

There OK, forgot who makes them but they make for other mid tier brands too. If you like the ties, $60 is reasonable but you can find them in sale at Saks Off Fifth and I think Century21 sells them fit 40-50. There is better stuff out there, but it's not like you're buying garbage either.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I love 9 year old necrobumps. Those are my favorite kind.

I thought something was fishy. Nowadays people just say Drakes and Sam Hober, and little else. I was wondering how I got through a full page of responses without seeing those names.
happy.gif

Also, Hermes ties are awesome. Rarely discussed on this board, but they make incredibly nice knots.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieworkwear
I thought something was fishy. Nowadays people just say Drakes and Sam Hober, and little else. I was wondering how I got through a full page of responses without seeing those names.
happy.gif

Also, Hermes ties are awesome. Rarely discussed on this board, but they make incredibly nice knots.

Drakes is an old brand...

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker

There've been alot of necro threads popping up in the last few days.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Die Workwear, your series on double monks was awesome.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

happy.gif

if we are talking a light twill silk nobody - and i mean nobody - does better than hermes .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads