• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some tie advice. Staples for a new attorney

Zackb911

Reaction score
I'm planning on picking up several ties(~6) from TheTieBar.com. I've heard more good than bad and at $15/each they're in my price range. My current ties are several years old and all varying levels of poor quality. With that said. Looking for ties to go with Navy & Charcoal suits. Nothing too bold or trendy. Just sharp, timeless, and year round appropriate if possible. I'm 6' & 180lbs, 42R suit, and would be wearing white or blue shirts. So let the wealth of knowledge and insight on patterns, colors, materials, sizing advice spew forth.
worship.gif
And thank you in advance...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the tie bars polka dot ties in navy with white, red, etc dots. I also like their wool ties in burgundy and navy.

As long as the ties aren't super loud, and are somewhat restrained colors for court, use your own style in making your selections

also, at 6ft 180, I would think a 42r would be quite a bit too big. I'm 6' and about 175 and i fit nicely into a 38r or a 40 in some of the italian brands.

got a porsche 911?

Zackb911

Reaction score
How about cotton vs wool vs silk? Or proper tie width, etc?

Seems I've heard mixed things on their "skinny" ties. The knits are also out unless informal and winter I presume.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zackb911
I'm planning on picking up several ties(~6) from TheTieBar.com. I've heard more good than bad and at $15/each they're in my price range. My current ties are several years old and all varying levels of poor quality.

With that said. Looking for ties to go with Navy & Charcoal suits. Nothing too bold or trendy. Just sharp, timeless, and year round appropriate if possible. I'm 6' & 180lbs, 42R suit, and would be wearing white or blue shirts.

So let the wealth of knowledge and insight on patterns, colors, materials, sizing advice spew forth.
worship.gif

And thank you in advance...

3.25" to 3.5" ideally, navy with white pindots, wine/burgundy with pindots, some repp stripes... Navy with simple white stripes = great, mine gets tone of wear. Really anything that is subdued will be fine. Can get some geometrics or neats, too. Read the conservative business dress WAYWRN thread!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly endorse stapling any attorney. Use heavy duty staples. They will stick in further.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
at $15/each they're in my price range. My current ties are several years old and all varying levels of poor quality.
Where in Boston will you be practicing?

Zackb911

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Not sure on where in Boston, I do not have anything lined up yet. I'll definitely be staying here though as I already own a home. Hoping to find a job after the bar in July.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Not sure on where in Boston, I do not have anything lined up yet. I'll definitely be staying here though as I already own a home. Hoping to find a job after the bar in July.
I see. A thought......buy one great tie, one great shirt (preferably French Cuff), one great suit, not all at once, and the rest your normal wear. Good Luck!!!

payoffwizard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
i like the tie bars polka dot ties in navy with white, red, etc dots. I also like their wool ties in burgundy and navy.

As long as the ties aren't super loud, and are somewhat restrained colors for court, use your own style in making your selections

also, at 6ft 180, I would think a 42r would be quite a bit too big. I'm 6' and about 175 and i fit nicely into a 38r or a 40 in some of the italian brands.

got a porsche 911?

laugh.gif

elgreco

Reaction score
J. Press is having a sale currently; use coupon code 'PSMAY11'. They've got a nice range of classic ties and you can secure some staples at a nice discount: For starters, this:
9105-10.jpg
And perhaps this:
TIES48_2143R.jpg

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
If you're looking to begin building a professional wardrobe with staples, I think you need to silk. Wool and cotton have their place for occasional/seasonal wear as part of a diverse wardrobe, but I think your starter set as a young lawyer should be silk, traditional patterns, between 3.25" and 3.75" in length. The two examples posted by elgreco seem appropriate, although you obviously should be guided by your individual taste as well.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ties I use the most often have a color base of the following: maroon, gold/yellow, navy, light blue.

I really like Talbott ties from the Rack because they're inexpensive, well made, and edgy but still conservative. I also have plain colors. Either case, you can get away with having very few ties. Hardly anyone notices.

Doc4

Reaction score

Zackb911

Reaction score
Thanks again for the insight guys. Exactly what I was looking for!
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads