• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

300 Trailer is up!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Why don't you rent original "300 Spartans". I remember seeing it when I was 5 years old with my mom. I liked it then
smile.gif
This new movie stole some lines from the original which always tells me that it's gonna be a dumbed down re-tell.

Never heard of it to be honest. When was this filmed?
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I was at the premiere Monday night. I'm reluctant to spoil it for anyone. Let me just say that (1) Those like skalogre who are likely to be troubled by excessive artistic license and the like would do well to stay away; and (2) Those intrigued by the "visuality" of the trailer probably will not be disappointed. Although I have not read the 300 graphic novel and have read only a handful of graphic novels in my life, I'd say the movie probably does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of that genre (and presumably the specific gn on which it was based), both in visual style and narrative flow. Whether that's good or bad you can decide for yourselves. Final point: Lena Headey, who plays Leonidas' Queen, is quite lovely. I don't believe I'd seen her in anything before.
Thanks for the heads up
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by mizanation
got my tickets england. gonna see it at the imax theater in manhattan. going to watch it with dudes only. no ******* ovaries allowed. to prepare for this celebration of masculinity, i have performed the following acts of manhood, which are: killing a large animal with my bare hands, mortally vanquishing my enemies, and ********** with an adolescent boy.
lol8[1].gif
The reason I am back in this thread is because some coworkers of the wife's wanted us to go with them to watch it. I was actually dreading it this evening. Thankfully she changed her mind so we will go see Pan's Labyrinth instead. No arguments there! P.s. techincally this should have been called "1000"... Goes to show what propaganda really means, the Spartans for centuries touted their military prowess and sacrifice there even if 700 Thespians refused to leave and died there with a mere 300 Spartans. But that is how things were in old Greece, propaganda had always been a popular tool for legitimisation...

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you haven't seen it yet, but plan to, do yourself a favor and smoke some of that funny stuff beforehand. you'll thank me. (i wish i had.)

SPOILERS!!!

i saw it tonight and while i have mixed feelings about it, it's definitely a thumbs up for me. i did not see the trailer and knew nothing about the film prior to seeing it, other than that it involved 300 soldiers against a large army. i didn't even know they were spartans. i didn't know it was based on a comic.

at first i felt like i was watching someone play a video game. it was too digitized, the dialogue too corny. the scene where leonidas screws his wife was completely needless, escpecially showing them in different positions, and i started to think it was a really stupid movie for teenagers. well, it is, but i liked it anyway.
i have to say that the persians and their king really stole the show, especially the seduction of quasimodo. i found my self rooting for the persians by the end of the film. anyway, i give it a 4 out 5 slayers.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Problem is, that this wil become the de facto idea of what happenned for people who see it that don't know anything else about it. Historic revisionism via Hollywood; its what's for dinner! Of course history is coloured by the people who are inscribing it, I know that. However there are some serious differences between these things and historical narratives.
Anyhow, as I said, generally I'd rather Hollywood stay away from my neck of the woods. Even more considering that while a few thousand years may appear to be a long time, in the Hellenic world people still know of the battle, the monument to the Spartans and Thespians who fought the Persians still stands, and many people (myself included) even know the monument's inscription by heart
smile.gif
. But that ties in to many other things including national consciousness, identity and old grudges that are difficult to explain (and are not really understood anyway).

P.s. it is interesting how the Thespians are often forgotten in modern narratives.

P.s.2 Wow we are getting sidetracked.

P.s.3 The Iliad IS schlock, I agree there. It was passed down orally for centuries before it was writen down for the first time in I think 6th century BC (don't remember exactly). To put it in to perspective, for the Hellenes of that age, the war at Troy was as far away and ancient as the Middle Ages are to us today. Herodotus is acknowledged to be the first to try doing something genuinely like historical writing, even though he still had too much of the mystical and godly in his writings to qualify as such today. And that was much much later than the original Homer lived.

I always wondered why the Greks are so bloody obsessed with their ancient history...

As far as "Hollywood staying away from your neck of the woods"...really? It's yours?? It belongs to you? I hate this cultural possessiveness. It's a STORY. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CAN TELL IT.

I personally think Frank Miller did a great job of creating ENTERTAINMENT out of a neat, classic story. The ancient Spartans would probably have appreciated...****, Herodotus would have loved it, he went in for myths and hyperbole like a sorority girl to a wet-tshirt contest.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I always wondered why the Greks are so bloody obsessed with their ancient history... As far as "Hollywood staying away from your neck of the woods"...really? It's yours?? It belongs to you? I hate this cultural possessiveness. It's a STORY. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CAN TELL IT. I personally think Frank Miller did a great job of creating ENTERTAINMENT out of a neat, classic story. The ancient Spartans would probably have appreciated...****, Herodotus would have loved it, he went in for myths and hyperbole like a sorority girl to a wet-tshirt contest.
As I said, it is difficult to explain. Especially for older cultures that are tied to a specific area, you will find that as I mentioned cultural and national identity is made up of multiple factors including historical narratives, events and folklore. There is not really such a thing in the USA, or to put it differently, it is something altogether different. I realise that the average American (or most Europeans even) may find this difficult to comprehend but consider this: even though I never took ancient Greek (long story) I can still come across an inscription from, say, the classical era (think same period) and have a pretty good damn idea of what is says. I may not be able to pronounce it the same way and certainly would not be able to form sentences using the old grammatical and syntactical rules bit there is a continuum, an evolution of the culture and the language. This ties in with the fact that for most of the outside world Hellenic history is made up only two things: the modern day Hellenic Republic and Classical Athens. That is it. Nevermind that many like to take the stance that while the "Ancient Greeks" were an advanced and respectable people, modern Greece is basically EU and NATO's poor pariah filled with uneducated people that happen to live in that area of the world. With a few sentences you opened a subject that is exceedingly complex. And yes, you may not like that cultural possessiveness but that does not change, for instance, that someone descended from Thespians would not appreciate having the world be under the impression that 300 superheroes took a last stance there while 700 of your ancestors died in the same battle. Oh and sure you can tell the story, as can anyone. Does not mean that it will not be pure BS that will then become the de facto narrative. While it is nice to think that people know and understand the difference between historical narratives and complete BS, that is ludicrously far from the reality of things.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I am not sure if it's a legend but I read that Archimedes designed mirrors that were used by Karthagen to ignite Roman ships that were attacking the ports.
This was on Mythbusters and got the ol' Busted. I am early waiting to see this on IMAX. Haven't even been in an IMAX theater in a couple years.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I always wondered why the Greks are so bloody obsessed with their ancient history...

As far as "Hollywood staying away from your neck of the woods"...really? It's yours?? It belongs to you? I hate this cultural possessiveness. It's a STORY. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CAN TELL IT.

I personally think Frank Miller did a great job of creating ENTERTAINMENT out of a neat, classic story. The ancient Spartans would probably have appreciated...****, Herodotus would have loved it, he went in for myths and hyperbole like a sorority girl to a wet-tshirt contest.

truth is stranger than fiction.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I could swear the ancient Greeks had laser technology...I could be wrong.

Jon.

That would have been useful against the Medean war rhinoceri
laugh.gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most interesting part of the Youtube 300 trailer:

300152uz3.jpg

Zoomed:

300trailer152wv4.jpg

Apparently it's legit.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by legit. This isn't "footage". They haven't started filming yet.

But the same director has been signed on to make Watchmen. And it finally looks like all the peices are in place for it to be made.

The more money 300 makes, the bigger the budget for Watchmen will be.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, congratulations on finding a way to get me to support 300. You bastards.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
It depends on what you mean by legit. This isn't "footage". They haven't started filming yet.
I meant "legit" more in the sense of, "it's a legitimate trick to get us into theaters, but at least it's not fan footage".

Originally Posted by Arethusa
Well, congratulations on finding a way to get me to support 300. You bastards.
Yeah, maybe I can just send him a buck, or something. I hate these historical epics.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Oh and sure you can tell the story, as can anyone. Does not mean that it will not be pure BS that will then become the de facto narrative. While it is nice to think that people know and understand the difference between historical narratives and complete BS, that is ludicrously far from the reality of things.

I guess this is the important bit here, really. I've read Herodotus and a number of other sources on Thermopylae(ok, not in the Greek), so I can at least distinguish somewhat between "myth" and "reality." The vast majority of the comic-book fans and fratboys who go to see this - probably not. So I can see that people who feel invested in the battle as part of their heritage might see it as pernicious.

At the same time - do you see Chinese people complaining that because of Hero and Crouching Tiger, people expect them to be able to fly? (Nevermind the creepy nationalism of Hero, that's another story). People can tell the difference between fiction and myth, and this is a pretty mythic depiction.

Whatever. Not important really - it's just funny because I'm having a similar debate with my roommate. Apparently this movie is very polarizing even though it's just out.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had two hours to kill and was on my own so I took the plunge.

I want my two hours back. Brutal.
snork[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
snork[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Had two hours to kill and was on my own so I took the plunge.

I want my two hours back. Brutal.
snork[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
snork[1].gif

Yikes...'twas that bad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads