• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do 40 size suits come with 34 pants?

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
I have a 32 waist, and it's difficult to find a 40-sized suit with pants that fit me. It sucks because you can't really do anything with baggy pants without ruining them.

What do people in a similar situation do? Do I just need to stick with certain "slim" designers?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most guys that wear a 40 have a 34-ish inch waist. You need to get your suits MTM.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Most guys that wear a 40 have a 34-ish inch waist. You need to get your suits MTM.

Did you really just tell him that he needs to go MTM?

facepalm.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
find a suit with a different drop. I think a 40R drop 7 would fit you fine.

or do what 99% of people (should) do.....have the pants taken in.

MTM is far from necessary.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
find a suit with a different drop. I think a 40R drop 7 would fit you fine.

or do what 99% of people (should) do.....have the pants taken in.

MTM is far from necessary.

x a bajillion.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How high do you wear your trousers? I'm only a 31 waist, but seeing as I wear them closer to my hip, a true 33-34 actually works well for me.

inq89

Reaction score
I always thought that too, and why there is a different category for "suiting separates" as that should be the norm imo. I'm slowing building to a 41-42 chest from working out and have a 32 waist. So does that mean I'll have to get size 36-38 pants? Can a tailor take that far enough in?

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
It definitely depends on the suit and trousers. Some athletic fit suits come with narrower waist pants. I found that my dress trousers need to be a little looser in the waist than say my jeans so that the pleats don't pucker. A good tailor can get you set up right as you don't want them too baggy in the butt either.

gwolf

Reaction score
i'm actually a real 40r and 34w. most pants are actually bigger than 34 they claim. i wear a 32 but if i measure my waist is a 34.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the standard human body frame fequates to a certain set of dimensions. Go for suit separates where you can mix and match or else MTM.

That should avoid the need for drastic alterations.

alexanduh

Reaction score
dont you get to choose what size pants you get?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
m.

What do people in a similar situation do? Do I just need to stick with certain "slim" designers?

I'd be careful with this. There are more athletic cut suits but the slim are often not high drop. Worse you may end up having to size up the jacket then the pants are even worse.

Six is considered average.

Drop four is portly.

Then you have the higher dropped stuff.

The stuff is out there but the average retail shop caters to average.

xpress

Reaction score
Average drop - 6 inches
40 suit - 6 = 34 pant.

Loads of "slimmer silhouette" suits are running a 7 inch drop, which "should" look much nicer when brought in to a 32.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I'd be careful with this. There are more athletic cut suits but the slim are often not high drop. Worse you may end up having to size up the jacket then the pants are even worse.

Huh? 99% of the suits I've seen that are truly slim are at least drop 7 if not 8. Which BLOWS. I'm a slim 36S but definitely NOT a 29 waist, who is that isn't 16?

I just wish the pants were always available seperate as I've had to pass on a couple of great suits recently because of their elfin-like waist dimensions.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think a 29 inch waist is small
laugh.gif

Some (many?) of those slim suits are aimed at guys who are basically straight up/down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics