• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody not particularly like black shoes

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
No love for these? Bought them yesterday
devil.gif

I like
bigstar[1].gif

I would prefer them in very dark brown though
devil.gif

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I like
bigstar[1].gif

I would prefer them in very dark brown though
devil.gif

I wouldn't mind a second pair in brown either
biggrin.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered two pairs of cordovans from the RL sale--both in brown.

I would have ordered the Alden longwing cordovan sold under the BF line as they are $488 after discount, but sadly they never have my size
frown.gif

I like black as long as they have some detailing or something to make them interesting such longwings or brogueing.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a second pair in brown either
biggrin.gif

Who makes them? I have a single monk in brown from C&J. I like them, I just wish the buckle was silver
ffffuuuu.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am officially on Team Burgundy.

Untitled-1.png

Originally Posted by pvrhye
Cheap black shoes look a million times better than cheap brown.

Why are you buying cheap shoes of any colour? Did you forget where you are?

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Black is alright. Just another color to me. Unfortunately the local climate doens't lend to its wearing very often. Most of my pants are light in color.

No idea why the disdain for black shoes on SF though. If your pants are mostly navy and black, then you are good to go.

Part of my own disdain for the black shoes stems from others' use of it. Most people outside our world have dress shoes which squarely are black and nothing in between.

I too, hate black shoes, as mentioned above. Plus, I like lighter colors, and think it complements my skin colour.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Who makes them? I have a single monk in brown from C&J. I like them, I just wish the buckle was silver
ffffuuuu.gif

Zegna XXX Couture - I really love the details on the buckles btw.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I am officially on Team Burgundy.

Untitled-1.png

I was wondering who made a pair in burgundy.
inlove.gif

The only time I don't want to wear burgundy is when I'm wearing a purple/pinkish hue shirt. Strikes me the wrong way for some reason...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I do not own a pair of black shoes but I have a pair in my avatar. Odd.

Are they silver. I like them as well
smile.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna XXX Couture - I really love the details on the buckles btw.

i have a pair of brown loafers from that line. they are great no? beautiful finsh, meticulous detailing, and super comfortable
smile.gif

Coburn

Reaction score
I think black shoes are less forgiving of poor care.

Scuffs, scratches, etc are highlighted against the black background.

I find myself wearing black shoes more often.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone answer this question:

Is is still necessary to only wear black after 5:00 pm? I have a lot of shoes that I would love to wear at night but I have usually stuck to the rule of no brown after dark. Is that now old-fashioned?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my black shoes. Especially my Lobb Williams and Testoni wingtips.

Wearing only black or only brown just doesn't make sense to me. Why limit your satorial and color options??? Both are classic.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Blue suit with black shoes can have a bit of an airforce uniform vibe... I think it looks good, though on other days I pair a blue suit with brown shoes of various shades.

Also have to disagree with a previous poster about cheap black shoes looking good - cheap black shoes (and even corrected grain on well-known brands) usually looks indistinguishable from plastic. I think good black really showcases quality (or the lack of it) because it is apparently so hard to give depth and patina to black leather.

I was referring mostly to cheap non-corrected grain leather (which can be hard to find....certainly not on some cheap kenneth coles).

I have heard talk of some of the english makers using nicer corrected grain on some of their models that is not so bad which is the only reason I mentioned it at all.

On the cheap end, brown leather ages poorly, but black will look ok with a good polish.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Can anyone answer this question:

Is is still necessary to only wear black after 5:00 pm? I have a lot of shoes that I would love to wear at night but I have usually stuck to the rule of no brown after dark. Is that now old-fashioned?

I have this hang up, too. Wearing brown shoes to a party in the evening or to a cocktail lounge always strikes me as wrong, like I just came from work.

I don't think there's rule about this, or there isn't any more, but I can't shake the feeling I've displeased the sartorial gods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads