• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsacain
If I was smaller today I would have struck gold. I tried thrifting is Salisbury, MD. Saw tons of Borrelli shirts but all were too tight on me, Along with some other designers I recognised from this board. Looks like some guy lost weight and got rid of his collection. Plus some nice AE shoes that looked barely worn but they were size 9.5 and I am 11.5ee.

Yeah, for future reference, if you have amazing luck and come across great labels like Borrelli, Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Oxxford, etc, please grab them if they're cheap enough and you have enough money. Some people on here would love to have it and aren't as privileged (live in sartorially challenged areas).

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Don't bother shopping at Goodwill stores in SoCal.

Today I witnessed a teenager stealing a bunch of wallets. They only cost at most $5 each.
facepalm.gif

They took me in the back and had me write down what I saw. On the wall there was many pages printed from this thread. Mostly lists of brands, but there was some pics of shoes. On the top of each page the words "Hold" were written in red ink. I don't know what "Hold" means, but I assume it is not good for us.

Oh lord, this sure does NOT sound good at all. If you were to ask me, it seems pretty obvious that "hold" means wait until "they" can sell those item online for the highest price possible. If any of them is not sold, then they can be hung on the rack.

Originally Posted by seanmj
Really, pages from this thread, with notes? If that's the case, then let it be said that Kenneth Cole and Geoffrey Beene are the finest menswear brands of all time.

This has actually gotten me LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
And the worst part is: the profits go to charity.

Well, if you see it that way, it may not be such a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Ace_Face
I'm not super concerned about thrifts going through this thread, but is it possible to require registration in order to view it, just in case?
patch[1].gif

Well, anybody who works at thrift stores can register here. This forum does not prohibit anybody to register.

If I was smaller today I would have struck gold. I tried thrifting is Salisbury, MD. Saw tons of Borrelli shirts but all were too tight on me, Along with some other designers I recognised from this board. Looks like some guy lost weight and got rid of his collection. Plus some nice AE shoes that looked barely worn but they were size 9.5 and I am 11.5ee.

But otherwise I got a Brooks Brothers dress shirt. A nice fitting Lacoste dress shirt made in France and a LL. Bean plad dress shirt made in the USA.

This comment has taken me by surprise. I was once thinking of moving there, but considering how much crimes it has for a small univerisity town. It scared me away!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kellgy
I thift in the inland empire and I am yet to see anything really top notch goods at our local GW (only been doing it @ 8 months). Where was the GW you speak of?

laugh.gif
I thrift in the Inland Empire too. This was in San Bernardino.
The printed pages had been photo copied so there are probably dozens of GWs with them. The worst thing was that many people in this thread wrote out lists of brands. This wasn't the only thread though. There was another with the title "Tips for thrifting" or something like that.

They had everything covered pictures of Ikea furniture, dolls, a HUGE list of books, pictures of Star Wars figures, at least 20 books called "Becketts"(Price Guides for collectibles I think),....

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind you, the whole thing wasn't that organized. They didn't have just one big list of brands. There were just many printed pages. The Becketts looked 10 years old and the Ikea catalogs and pics looked old too.
The strangest thing though was that an excessive amount of the wall was mens clothing and not womens clothing. Is the profit margin not so good on womens clothing? I would assume the items the GW receives the most is womens clothing.

951socal

Reaction score
Let change the direction of this thread:

Kenneth Cole reaction
Christian Dior black label/ made in USA
Pronto Uomo

^good brands

Zegna
Kiton
oxxford

^junk

actually san diego guy here, they;ve been doing it for a long time here
they actually pull anything valuble

so i just pick up workout clothes and various vintage costume jewelry/ whatever martin margiela esque decorations they have.

i did get a sport coat and suit recently though (albeit 20 years old, and not that great brand wise )

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was smaller today I would have struck gold. I tried thrifting is Salisbury, MD. Saw tons of Borrelli shirts but all were too tight on me, Along with some other designers I recognised from this board. Looks like some guy lost weight and got rid of his collection. Plus some nice AE shoes that looked barely worn but they were size 9.5 and I am 11.5ee. But otherwise I got a Brooks Brothers dress shirt. A nice fitting Lacoste dress shirt made in France and a LL. Bean plad dress shirt made in the USA.
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
I'm sure if you grabbed them you could have traded for something in your size.
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
You can always buy them and flip or trade here on B&S or the Trading Post thread.. Someone somewhere here needs those sizes and has yours. Buy them!
Originally Posted by Navi
What size were the Borrelli's? I'm sure somebody here would want them no matter what size if you went back out and got them.
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yeah, for future reference, if you have amazing luck and come across great labels like Borrelli, Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Oxxford, etc, please grab them if they're cheap enough and you have enough money. Some people on here would love to have it and aren't as privileged (live in sartorially challenged areas).
It's a two hour drive for me but if I leave now, I can get there just a little after opening!
devil.gif
Dig's edit: OMG, there's like 8 thrifts in Salisbury within a 3 block radius! Road trip!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kiwi Man
Well, anybody who works at thrift stores can register here. This forum does not prohibit anybody to register.

That extra step may keep some of them out. How many times have you gone to a site that requires registration and just said "*******"? Or maybe requiring 10 posts before allowing access? Not perfect, but a little hurdle.

Originally Posted by 951socal
Let change the direction of this thread:

Kenneth Cole reaction
Christian Dior black label/ made in USA
Pronto Uomo

^good brands

Zegna
Kiton
oxxford

^junk

Super-desirable brands to add to that list:
Stafford
Enyce
Van Heusen
St. John's Bay
J. Ferrar
Claiborne
American Living
Club Room
Alfani

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every day gets a little worse here. 5 stops, 6 hours and nothing. I also got to witness some wierdo blow his nose onto a shirt sleeve. That has the be one of the strangest things I've seen people do at a thrift. Guy didn't even care/be secretive about it.

Did manage to find a mint pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers for $1. Guess that kinda makes the trip worth it.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
ive noticed alot of thrift stores jacking up the prices on good brands now. yesterday i saw a couple rlpl and even armani shirts selling for close to 60 bucks!

Repojoe

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but have been lurking for some time. I happened upon this thread. I am taking a new Account Executive Position at my company. Being on a tight budget but needing to start a wardrobe I figured I would stop by a local GoodWill. Walked out with a Burberry shirt (in mint condition), two BB Shirts, One Pair of BB Chinos and two RT ties all for 8 dollars. Not to shabby for my first stop!

CarlSpackler27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Every day gets a little worse here. 5 stops, 6 hours and nothing. I also got to witness some wierdo blow his nose onto a shirt sleeve. That has the be one of the strangest things I've seen people do at a thrift. Guy didn't even care/be secretive about it.

Did manage to find a mint pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers for $1. Guess that kinda makes the trip worth it.

nice score on the speakers, the clothing continues to disappoint locally, just nothing out there
ffffuuuu.gif

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Seriously considering taking a break altogether for awhile... all day out today and ehhhh.

I'm done until the fall rolls around again. With the crappy finds, high gas prices, and lack of buyers (and I'm a bit bored with looking at rack after rack of Nautica, Hilfiger, YSL) it just makes good sense.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think part of it might be that this thread creates unrealistic expectations. I was a little bummed I took a ladyfriend to the local thrift (!) and walked out w/ nothing but an old pair of Docs; then, looking back on this week, I've got a nice stash of stuff piled up: D&G, Charvet, Lorenzini, Mabitex, a whole mess of Lacostes -- no real reason to be disappointed. Soukoulis, I might just have to put you on ignore. You're like Kate Moss, making me feel like I'll never be thin enough...
laugh.gif

Kitontini

Reaction score
Hit a couple of stores today.... Found a yellow Borrelli shirt sz 16, too small for me; Also found a Kilgour French Stanbury overcoat sz 42s, 80% Wool and 20% Angora; Burberrys' Plaid 100% Wool tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads