• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm a scumbag--ask ebay

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been doing ebay since 2004 and selling for the past couple years. Nothing heavy, very much a hobby thing (fewer than 100 transactions as a seller, all told). Now, I find out that I suck. Ebay has sent me a message saying that I am below their standards, therefore, they will be putting a hold on all PayPal payments to me until they can be assured I have delivered what I have promised.

I have had exactly one negative rating, from a total clown. The lowest average rating (out of 55 as a seller) is 4.6 out of a possible 5 for shipping costs. Communication and shipping time are both 4.8 and item-as-described is 4.9. Overall, I have a 98.6 percent as a buyer and seller on 206 transactions. I think that's pretty darn good, given the vagaries of the purchasing public. But ebay doesn't, and so now I will have to wait for my money if, indeed, I choose to do this anymore, and I am thinking that I will not.

I am surely putting more stock in this than it deserves, but having ebay suggest that I'm less than trustworthy sucks.

I do not know enough about how ebay works to know how I got into this bad-seller boat. I've tried reading ebay's breakdown on how such stuff gets calculated, and I still don't know. If anyone can explain this to me, that would be appreciated, if only for idle curiosity's sake. Because I think that I am pretty much done with ebay, both as a buyer and a seller. At some point, having a faceless corporation call you a douche bag when you haven't done anything wrong isn't worth the pocket change I get from selling thrift-store finds here-and-there to buyers who seem happy to do business with me.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Same just happened to me. i have 99.4% positive feedback on 312 ratings. **** eBay.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i got rid of my ebay account a long time ago and now that they will report to the taxman bpaypal as well.if you wanna have some intersting reading check out www.paypalsucks.com

Reaction score
Someone open a buyer protection case against you? I'm just reading this: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...rformance.html Side note: I have no great love for eBay either, had at least one bad experience myself. I think it becomes nearly impossible to maintain 100% feedback once you do enough transactions, it just becomes statistically likely you'll run into an idiot and situation which is beyond remedy. And Ebay's policies, I think, are generally stacked against the seller.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is relevant here but I just got this message from eBay: Here are a few important updates to the eBay Buyer Protection Policy: To make sure returned items are delivered correctly, sellers are required to maintain a valid and current return address on file. You can update your return address online via My eBay by selecting Account > Addresses, then clicking Change next to the Primary return address field. For items that are event tickets listed under the Tickets category, a case may be opened until 7 days after the event date, even if that's more than 45 days from purchase date. If an item is re-shipped after being received at the address in the Order details page or PayPal Transaction Details page, it won't be eligible for eBay Buyer Protection Policy coverage. We reserve the right to suspend a buyer's coverage under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy if we suspect that buyer is colluding with a seller to misdeclare the value or type of an item for evading customs fees. In order to be protected from a case when a buyer reports an item was not received, sellers must provide valid delivery confirmation before the case is escalated to eBay for a final decision. If the buyer successfully appeals a case and receives a refund from eBay, and the seller's refund failed, was canceled, or did not complete after the case was closed, the seller will be required to reimburse eBay. To help buyers and sellers resolve a case, eBay may provide or give them access to each other's name, user ID, email address, other contact information, and other information relating to the case, including any relevant documentation obtained from a third party. When deciding a case, eBay may review item details, messages between the buyer and seller in eBay Messages, seller responses to questions, and other sources of information related to the case.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eBay is terrible, but unfortunately there really isn't an alternative besides B&S. The fees are much too high, that's my main gripe.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, not a single buyer protection case save one from last September in which some idiot bitched to ebay without getting in touch first. That's the only one, ever--every other buyer who bothered to leave feedback had only nice things to say. Sheesh, I've given partial refunds on shipping charges to buyers without being asked when the actual rate ended up being more than what the online calculator showed.

Like I say, I'm the proverbial small-timer. The message I got from ebay seemed to be part of a large change-in-policy deal wherein lots of folks got informed they are now on some kind of funds-hold because they have been deemed dishonest.

Originally Posted by francisxslaughtery
Someone open a buyer protection case against you? I'm just reading this:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...rformance.html

Side note: I have no great love for eBay either, had at least one bad experience myself.

I think it becomes nearly impossible to maintain 100% feedback once you do enough transactions, it just becomes statistically likely you'll run into an idiot and situation which is beyond remedy. And Ebay's policies, I think, are generally stacked against the seller.

Reaction score
Any chance the problem is coming from the Paypal end of things?

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. Ebayer since 1999, but my last transaction was in 2008. So I'm behind the times in Ebay knowledge.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mystery resolved.

Just got an email from ebay. They're going to hold funds due to alleged excessive shipping and handling charges. They are encouraging me to offer free shipping.

Reaction score
Sounds like they've hired some new marketing consultants.
goodfellas-new.jpg

csoukoulis

Reaction score
I just for a message saying my rating is improving and to keep up the good work to avoid holds. Those holds are supposed to be automatically lifted 3 days after delivery if you provide a tracking number but they never do.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pnutpug
Mystery resolved.

Just got an email from ebay. They're going to hold funds due to alleged excessive shipping and handling charges. They are encouraging me to offer free shipping.

Sounds like you do add extra cost to shipping, something I used to do myself.

These days, I just say *******, everything goes out Priority, and I round up to the next pound, and the shipping fees are variable. Let the buyer deal with it. Shipping rating went up to 4.9

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Does anyone use Google Checkout?
With all the issues people are having with ebay/paypal, can google offer better services for both sellers and buyers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads