• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
And the worst part is: the profits go to charity.

The only thrift store in Canada left with a 'Charitable Organization' status, is Salvation Army.
Goodwill Industries headquarters is in the U.S.A so I expect the U.S.A. stores are also 'non-profit'.
Goodwill Industries had their 'Charitable Organization' status revoked about 5 years ago.
The 'Non-Profit' status means you don't (or shouldn't) pay tax on purchases under $100.
Goodwill and other 'non-profit' or 'for profit' thrift stores are under no legal obligation whatsoever, to bring any items donated to them, to the sales floor. Goodwill industries also runs their own Ebay-like auction website as just one example of this. They also place a lot if items for sale through auction agencies, etc. Goodwill is getting a free ride from donations and their corporate name.
The very word 'goodwill' has become very misleading to well-intentioned donors.
Goodwill corporate must be laughing all the way to the bank, literally.

TheODGuy

Reaction score
It's been a slow couple weeks, but finally had a fairly decent day.... 1.) Allen Edmonds Delray - 11.5 - In real great condition! ($9)
ca620a59.jpg
2.) NWOT PRPL Blue with Yellow Striped Polo - L ($7)
8378496b.jpg
8fbb845b.jpg
3.) NWOT Ermenegildo Zegna - Blue Cotton Blazer - 38R ($21) - Still even has the stitching in the pockets. Judging by the tags, can anybody give me a date? Late 90's?
2d834d6a.jpg
b81b90f6.jpg
ac773632.jpg
4.) Found 10 Different Ties.....
04a78b43.jpg
8940562c.jpg
L to R: Giorgio Armani ($4), 2 Salvatore Ferragamo ($3 each), Hermes ($2)
058abcdc.jpg
bfa79ddd.jpg
L to R: Dated Gianni Versace ($3) - I like the pattern, 2 Thomas PINK Ties ($3 each)

Last edited:

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Don't bother shopping at Goodwill stores in SoCal.

Today I witnessed a teenager stealing a bunch of wallets. They only cost at most $5 each.
facepalm.gif

They took me in the back and had me write down what I saw. On the wall there was many pages printed from this thread. Mostly lists of brands, but there was some pics of shoes. On the top of each page the words "Hold" were written in red ink. I don't know what "Hold" means, but I assume it is not good for us.

I thift in the inland empire and I am yet to see anything really top notch goods at our local GW (only been doing it @ 8 months). Where was the GW you speak of?

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not super concerned about thrifts going through this thread, but is it possible to require registration in order to view it, just in case?
patch[1].gif

Navi

Reaction score
Found a nice odd vest, Harris Tweed sportcoat, and another grey herringbone blazer today. All fit me well, though the tweed jacket will need to be taken in as well as the sleeves let out.

Tweed (pardon the terrible pictures, it will look much better once my tailor cleans up the fit. Quite baggy as it is):
hTaez.jpg

IHNkj.jpg

Vest, fits great:
R7G00.jpg

And the herringbone jacket + vest closeup, all the pictures of the herringbone on me came out horrible so that's a no-go
frown.gif

Xsf0W.jpg

Nothing too amazing but it's a very rare thing that I find things that fit me, and times have been dark lately. These are the first things I've picked up in almost a month...

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not super concerned about thrifts going through this thread, but is it
possible to require registration in order to view it, just in case?
Then it will only be visible to those who have ever used the internets, ever...
laugh.gif

In other news, can someone explain the telationship between Lacoste and Izod? That would be pretty sweet.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheODGuy

3.) NWOT Ermenegildo Zegna - Blue Cotton Blazer - 38R ($21) - Still even has the stitching in the pockets. Judging by the tags, can anybody give me a date? Late 90's?
2d834d6a.jpg

b81b90f6.jpg

ac773632.jpg

That's an awesome haul! That Zegna is recent. Post-2006.

Originally Posted by deveandepot1
They took me in the back and had me write down what I saw. On the wall there was many pages printed from this thread. Mostly lists of brands, but there was some pics of shoes. On the top of each page the words "Hold" were written in red ink. I don't know what "Hold" means, but I assume it is not good for us.

Well damn..... That's probably why I never found anything at the Goodwills while down there visiting the in-laws.

Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I vote that THIS thread be renamed "the party is over folks".

That sums it up for me. Haven't had a notable finds in well over a couple months.
baldy[1].gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously considering taking a break altogether for awhile... all day out today and ehhhh. The nicest thing I saw was a Borrelli... pricetag & booklet... on a ripped NON-Borrelli sweater... at Filene's. Considered buying the sweater, removing the tag, and returning the sweater (store tag was attached separately so I could have done this) but decided that was just sheer desperation to see something nice, and couldn't really think of a reason to do it either. I figure someone must have bought the Borrelli, attached the tags to this other sweater, and returned it. Only thing I can't figure out is, there's been no Borrelli at that Filene's ever that I've seen, so either it was in the back for awhile or there was some serious receipt shenanigans going on. Ah, well. Anyway, yeah, today was epic fail - grand opening of a store and I came out with nothing besides the free reuseable bags they were giving out. Wondering if they did a "pre-sale" for donors or something - the nicest thing I saw there was a pair of Canali pants, triple-pleated and not my size so left 'em. Also an ANCIENT black Zegna polo with a huge stain. Seriously?! The last grand opening I went to was one of my best hauls ever, this one was a complete waste of time.
ffffuuuu.gif
That's pretty much how the rest of the day went too... only pickups were: pink BB OCBD & robert graham shirt to sell and MAYBE make back gas Samuelsohn charcoal s110's pants for myself. Really weird, I never see a stitch of Sammy for a solid year and then there's a suit, sc and now some pants in a couple of weeks. There's some other brands I'd like to see for the first time, though.
wink.gif

mat135ta

Reaction score
I got two pairs of BB shell tassel loafers in 12D possibly made by Alden, a T&A tweed jacket and Chester Barrie cashmere/wool sportcoat in 46L, a black label Armani shirt, a R. Huntsman & Sons Ltd shirt, a Lorenzini shirt, and a bespoke navy blazer made for a former president of Sulka.

Only the Armani and the blazer are in my size, the rest will be available for sale and trade.

The Huntsman shirt is made in US. Any idea who made shirts in US for Huntsman?

tsacain

Reaction score
If I was smaller today I would have struck gold. I tried thrifting is Salisbury, MD. Saw tons of Borrelli shirts but all were too tight on me, Along with some other designers I recognised from this board. Looks like some guy lost weight and got rid of his collection. Plus some nice AE shoes that looked barely worn but they were size 9.5 and I am 11.5ee.

But otherwise I got a Brooks Brothers dress shirt. A nice fitting Lacoste dress shirt made in France and a LL. Bean plad dress shirt made in the USA.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsacain
If I was smaller today I would have struck gold. I tried thrifting is Salisbury, MD. Saw tons of Borrelli shirts but all were too tight on me, Along with some other designers I recognised from this board. Looks like some guy lost weight and got rid of his collection. Plus some nice AE shoes that looked barely worn but they were size 9.5 and I am 11.5ee.

But otherwise I got a Brooks Brothers dress shirt. A nice fitting Lacoste dress shirt made in France and a LL. Bean plad dress shirt made in the USA.

I'm sure if you grabbed them you could have traded for something in your size.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can always buy them and flip or trade here on B&S or the Trading Post thread.. Someone somewhere here needs those sizes and has yours. Buy them!

Navi

Reaction score

What size were the Borrelli's? I'm sure somebody here would want them no matter what size if you went back out and got them.

Reaction score
The Deacon;4440596 said:
Originally Posted by SupperLittleBuddha
Last friday, after an oil change, I visited a few thrift stores around that area that I only visit whenever I get an oil change. Here are some of my finds: And lastly, the most awesome find that I've come across in a while, a pair of Danner(Made in Portland, OR) hiking boots and it was also in my size! Vibram soles with minimal wear and the leather was in great condition. They look great with my Wrangler 936 Jeans and Carhartt Coat. I found a new pair of black Danner Military/Police boots for 14.99 and flipped them on the Bay for $133. If they were my size I'd have been tempted to keep them. Some serious boots!
Nice! I havent found anything like that to flip but I'm keeping my eye open. Finding another pair of Danners that were in my size would be awesome. Or a pair of Red Wing boots. But it's always hard to find stuff in my size because I'm so short(5'5") and my feet are about average - 8.5D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads