• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
It's 4 bucks but I didn't know what to put it with or if I'd need it tailored. It was still there today...

bilge316

Reaction score
Hi all,

Questions on the fit of two suits. These are my first post-sf suit purchases..been lurking for a while.

The first suit is new, so the pants are unhemmed (probably causing the weird look of the pants).
I think that both could be taken in around the waist and maybe a bit shorter in the sleeves but am looking forward to your thoughts. Please excuse the mess in the background (moving).

Suit 1
IMG_1668.jpg
IMG_1669.jpg
IMG_1670.jpg

Suit 2
IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialConductor
It's 4 bucks but I didn't know what to put it with or if I'd need it tailored. It was still there today...
I know what you're saying..''just $4" right? I, just recently, used to think like this too. But someone on this thread or another made a good point, you make 10 or 20 bad $4 purchases and you're out $80. Plus whatever alteration costs there are. So even if you just need the sleeves done, that's usually $20.
Now you're $25 into a blazer that is really just a $30 blazer. Not such a deal.
Instead, much better deal to be $25 or $50 into a sports coat that is really a $800 coat with better fabric, construction etc.
Not knocking you, just trying to pass along knowledge that was passed on to me, and keeping you from making the mistakes I've already made.
biggrin.gif

SartorialConductor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chico2007
I know what you're saying..''just $4" right? I, just recently, used to think like this too. But someone on this thread or another made a good point, you make 10 or 20 bad $4 purchases and you're out $80. Plus whatever alteration costs there are. So even if you just need the sleeves done, that's usually $20. Now you're $25 into a blazer that is really just a $30 blazer. Not such a deal. Instead, much better deal to be $25 or $50 into a sports coat that is really a $800 coat with better fabric, construction etc. Not knocking you, just trying to pass along knowledge that was passed on to me, and keeping you from making the mistakes I've already made.
biggrin.gif

While I understand I'm starting pretty much from scratch and paying for grad school and a wedding. No clothes isn't really an option either, at least not when you're hairy like me
wink.gif
I have bought three suits and I fontina how any of them look. That's over 1200 bucks so I need to try something different. I live in Dayton OH so the fancy stuff isn't falling into my lap. Suggestions are appreciated, knowing my situation.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bilge316
Hi all, Questions on the fit of two suits. These are my first post-sf suit purchases..been lurking for a while. The first suit is new, so the pants are unhemmed (probably causing the weird look of the pants). I think that both could be taken in around the waist and maybe a bit shorter in the sleeves but am looking forward to your thoughts. Please excuse the mess in the background (moving). Suit 1
IMG_1668.jpg
IMG_1669.jpg
IMG_1670.jpg
Suit 2
IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg

Welcome to Styleforum. The fit of both suits is acceptable, though I prefer the fit of the second suit but its hard to guage. I am more concerned about your posture. I fee like I am on the high seas with these photos.. Suit 1 photo series- Left Photo: Listing hard a port Center Photo: taking on a wave, levitation or both Right Photo: Listing to starboard Suit 2 photo series; Left Photo: Here you are returning to your old ways again, listing to port Center Photo: Still waters (and the best pose of all) Right Photo: rolling back to starboard. It appears that you have slightly excess fabric between the shoulder blades that can be corrected with minor alterations, but again, I am basing this on the off-center poses. Both appear to be nice suits and I can find no other issue that needs looking into. Again, congratulations on your purchases as they are both nice colours. Cuff lengths, front quarters and overall jacket length all appear fine.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Welcome to Styleforum.
The fit of both suits is acceptable, though I prefer the fit of the second suit but its hard to guage.
I am more concerned about your posture. I fee like I am on the high seas with these photos..

Going to have to disagree here.

The first suit, especially, has short front balance. Basically, the waist indent is too far above his natural waist. Looks weird.

Plus, both suits don't lay flat to the chest. You can see the prominently in the side pics.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Going to have to disagree here.

The first suit, especially, has short front balance. Basically, the waist indent is too far above his natural waist. Looks weird.

Plus, both suits don't lay flat to the chest. You can see the prominently in the side pics.

I'll agree with you to disagree with myself. Certainly not the best fits on either but he will pass on the street.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
KeWnQ.jpg

xxSe4.jpg
yq94X.jpg

Behold -- my quest for the perfect-ish unstructured sport coat. This one's a completely unlined cotton job in navy pinstripe. Minus the sleeves, I'd be very grateful if someone could tell me (a) whether it fits OK, and (b) whether it's summer business casual-appropriate, or (c) just summer-appropriate. That...would...be...AWESOME! Thanks.
fistbump.gif

bilge316

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feedback. The seas must have been choppy that day in the apt.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt's collar points look too long. The sheer size of the collar compared to the wearer's head - distracting.

DrStrangelove

Reaction score
I tried this suit on - no alterations yet.
fitpic1customk7nr.jpg
fitpic2customz7ig.jpg
Considering a tailor tweaks a few things - is it a keeper? And yes, I know, no pocketsquare...

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a keeper. That looks great. Care to share the maker?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads