• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you actually buy stuff from the B&S forum?

countbaron

Reaction score
Yes I know many people buy a lot of stuff from B&S otherwise it would not be there.

But I am intrigued in a way; since I have read SF regularly for a few years now and I am a shopaholic but only in a small number of occasions have I found myself tempted to buy anything here- (just like in eBay)

Clearly it has something to do with the advantage of living in London- so I know my way around many shops , I am 1 hour away from a very good Outlet (Bicester/Oxford) and about 1.5 hours away from the Northampton shoe factory shops.

In the end almost all the stuff on sale here (and eBay) that I care about I can have for a much better quality/price ratio

For example, over the last year I have bought (I am quoting dollars since most people here are from the US and these are averages over 3 or more items - much more on the shirt front of course)

Shirts

RLPL on average for about $100
Thomas Pink Imperial 170s (not the crapolla in the basic lines) also for about $ 100
Eton for about $90
Zegna main line/couture for about $100-140

Shoes

C&J Benchgrades for about $200
Royal Collection Church's for $400
Custom grade Church's for $280
JLP (non prestige) for average $550
Ferragamo Tramezzas/ LO for $300/$240
Barkers Black (yes quality sucks but they look good) for $240

I wont bother you with trousers/coats and I don't buy suits since i don't need/want to wear them

So anyway- rather than just this being a bragging thread (which it unavoidably is in part) I ask you fellow members in my place what items should I be buying here?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countbaron
Yes I know many people buy a lot of stuff from B&S otherwise it would not be there.

But I am intrigued in a way; since I have read SF regularly for a few years now and I am a shopaholic but only in a small number of occasions have I found myself tempted to buy anything here- (just like in eBay)

Clearly it has something to do with the advantage of living in London- so I know my way around many shops , I am 1 hour away from a very good Outlet (Bicester/Oxford) and about 1.5 hours away from the Northampton shoe factory shops.

In the end almost all the stuff on sale here (and eBay) that I care about I can have for a much better quality/price ratio

For example, over the last year I have bought (I am quoting dollars since most people here are from the US and these are averages over 3 or more items - much more on the shirt front of course)

Shoes

C&J Benchgrades for about $200
JLP (non prestige) for average $550
Barkers Black (yes quality sucks but they look good) for $240

WTF? I think it's safe to say that deals like that are nearly impossible to come by in the states unless you're in NYC and CONSTANTLY looking.

countbaron

Reaction score
the deals on the C&Js and BBs are available every week in factory shops. The JLP deals are less frequently available but I would not be lying if I said you could get them once a month in average- assuming you load up when things are good

fact is UK shoes are vastly overpriced in the US

And please dont ignore the Church's deals. Church's Custom Grades are better than C&J benchgrades, and the Royal collection holds its own against C&J bechgrades anytime

Amongst others there are two big myths in SF

Myth 1: Church's are overpriced
Myth 2: Thomas Pink shirts are overpriced crap

neither is true.

Church's top ranges are very good quality and can be had at much better discount prices than C&J now that the C&J bandwagon is well on its way. TP shirts of the higher ranges are pretty good quality and are available at 50% discounts year round

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only buy Ed Hardy bikinis in bulk from new members with less than 10 posts.

Other than that I am pretty fussy and while I have been tempted others usually swoop in and buy before I make up my mind.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the deals on the C&Js and BBs are available every week in factory shops. The JLP deals are less frequently available but I would not be lying if I said you could get them once a month in average- assuming you load up when things are good

How many SF members do you think live within 1.5 hours of the factories? This should probably answer your question about B&S activity.

Also, I have been told that you can't go to the factory store with a specific model in mind because the odds of finding a specific model is slim to none. Maybe the SF crowd doesn't just buy something because it's a good deal, but they buy something because they want it.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Myth 2: Thomas Pink shirts are overpriced crap
The standard line Pink shirts are crap. Plastic buttons, stiff cuffs and collars, mediocre fabric and a price of ~£90.
TP shirts of the higher ranges are pretty good quality and are available at 50% discounts year round
Yes, but only if you live near Bicester Village

countbaron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I only buy Ed Hardy bikinis in bulk from new members with less than 10 posts.

Other than that I am pretty fussy and while I have been tempted others usually swoop in and buy before I make up my mind.

squirrle darling you should know that post count is meaningless. Unfortunately SF does not allow you to carry counts in between re-incarnations

Icehawk

Reaction score
I buy from here when I see something I like and a good price, I don't buy from eBay often. Why? Because here I can do a little research on the seller and see what deals they have done before, what kind of poster they are, etc - I feel it tends to add some legitimacy particularly for a poster with a reasonable post count.

I probably buy 1 item every other month or so but if funds allowed I would buy something like once a week
smile.gif

To the OP, folks like you with close access to outlets are part of what make B&S run so I don't begrudge your access to those fine shoemakers even if I'm just a wee bit jealous.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy from here selectively. I have had some excellent buys measured as both quality and price. But you need to wait for your size and know how things fit.

alphaO888

Reaction score

fact is UK shoes are vastly overpriced in the US

Seconds/irregulars don't really count as deals if that's what they are.

There are outlets in the states as well as sample sales. The only items in your list that cannot be found in the states at those prices are possibly C&J and JLP. However, there are some to be found since you see threads like the current EG and JL thread with brand new selling for about 600-700; the seller probably picked them all up at the same prices or lower that you're quoting.

There definitely are deals to be found on the BS thread once in a while if you're lucky enough to pounce on something.

I think you're also not realizing that when you scour the outlets you're doing the exact same thing as perusing the B&S.

austerlitz

Reaction score
I have bought 3 ties, one of which was a kickass armani knit tie
2 purple label shirts

and thats it.

kellgy

Reaction score
I recently started and have bought three items. All were good experiences with a nice price point and quality.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought quite a bit but my best luck has been with shoes.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I like to buy from good members on B&S, the right sizes for me are just too rare. So I go through B&S every day but don't usually find much I can buy.

Only bought one thing so far:

Borrelli shoes - $280

I've seen some great accessories around but fuggers like Spoo seem to snap them up way too quickly. (Release that Wang now!)

veneto

Reaction score
You already answered your question, at least the fundamental point of it.

You have the access and time needed to acquire these items. Many do not. Hence, the marketplace.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads