• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebel Chrono

jasonsun

Reaction score
What's the general quality of Ebel Auto Chrono in comparison to other Swiss company? Omega/Tag/Rolex.....??

ndsleep612

Reaction score
General quality of Ebel differs drastically. The lower end stuff uses quartz movements, moving up the line are basic ETA movements. They were well known in the fast 80's. The brand recognition isn't strong compared to the 3 brands you mentioned. I do believe that Ebel and Tag are owned by the same parent (LVMH). Stuff is nice, if you know what you want.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
much of their newer models do have manufacture movements. its a fine watch. if you like em, go for it. but it doesnt do much for the brand whores out there.

willmiz

Reaction score
Great solid watch but if I had to choose from an Ebel 1911 (Which I am assuming you are referring to), speedmaster or daytona I would place the Ebel last. That being said, there is a pretty big price bump between the Ebel and Rolex due to the demand of Daytonas. Either of the three are good values and it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend in the end.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get a used Speedmaster over a new Ebel.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willmiz
Great solid watch but if I had to choose from an Ebel 1911 (Which I am assuming you are referring to), speedmaster or daytona I would place the Ebel last. That being said, there is a pretty big price bump between the Ebel and Rolex due to the demand of Daytonas. Either of the three are good values and it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend in the end.

the steel daytona is around 10k last time i checked. its almost impossible to get new, unless you are a big spender and your jewler gives you one of the 5 or so a year he gets. and to get it gray market there is a premium, sometimes higher than full retail. used im not sure.

the gold daytona is 20k + on leather and 30k+ on gold bracelet

so its not really in the same conversation as the ebel. just sayin
smile.gif

jasonsun

Reaction score
I'm debating a Ebel 1911 Chrono vs Bumer Mercier Classima Executive......like both style, just wasn't sure how the two stacks up against each other in terms of quality and value.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is apparent you really like chronographs, but sadly, you are picking chronographs that do not represent anything timeless in the genre. If you really want to get a chronograph that compares to Rolex/TAG/Omega you are going to have to get a more historically relevant piece. I will say that I am no fan of TAG or Omega (excluding the aforementioned Speedmaster and vintage 1960-1970 Seamasters). That said, Willmiz's suggestion of a Speedmaster is an excellent one and truly a piece worth owning. If you like square faced watches, a TAG Heur Monaco chronograph is laudable. People will certainly recognize a Daytona and while it is a great watch, I would rather buy a pre-owned Vacheron Constantin Overseas for that kind of cash.

To get more to your question: The quality is that of the many watch brands. They include reworked ETA movements and hold their value relatively poorly. Some people truly love Ebel and B&M, I myself quite like some of B&M's dress watches, but I do not think they pull off the chronograph particularly well. They are about on par with each other, although I might give the edge to B&M. Ebel as a brand just has not come out with anything to really put themselves on the map. I would rank your brands of interest Rolex > Omega > TAG > B&M > Ebel for the most part.

Chronographs with real horological significance would include (again) the Omega Speedmaster, the Zenith El Primero, or even a Breitling Navitimer. If I were going to purchase a chronograph, I would go with one of those 3. The Zenith is likely my personal favorite. The El Primero movement is well known and a thing of beauty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads