• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ocelot

Reaction score
I have a question about the resale value of used suits. I've tried searching the forums but haven't had much luck. I'm interested in this suit listed in B&S: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=4375491 It's used (worn 5 times) but in good condition without any flaws. I don't really know what it's worth and I'd like to offer a fair amount. "Retail" is above $1000, but they go around $400-450 new. Thank you for your time.

wangvicous

Reaction score
Solid navy 3b brooks regent with pick stitching ok for interviews or is the pick stitching too much? entry level

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wangvicous
Solid navy 3b brooks regent with pick stitching ok for interviews or is the pick stitching too much? entry level
If the pick stitching is subtle I don't think it would be a problem. The thing is most people don't know about pick stitching and may get distracted or the wrong impression if it is not subtle.

glassonion

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I just bought a navy blue and white checkered shirt from H&M. It fits well. Problem is, when I wear it with nothing else it looks like a table cloth. The checks are about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. I'd like to pair it with a cardigan and a tie with a clip. Thoughts? I'm thinking a navy blue cardigan with a solid skinny tie.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dads81
Fair enough. Just didn't know what the "rules" were in regards to pairing the shirts with the shoes. Yellow and brown because they're earth tones?, etc.

Suit or pant color is usually what's considered, not the shirt. The shirt certainly can contribute to a decision, but it should not be the primary factor.

The rules are really pretty loose. Just go with what looks right with each outfit.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glassonion
Hey guys, new to the forum. I just bought a navy blue and white checkered shirt from H&M. It fits well. Problem is, when I wear it with nothing else it looks like a table cloth. The checks are about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. I'd like to pair it with a cardigan and a tie with a clip. Thoughts? I'm thinking a navy blue cardigan with a solid skinny tie.

Pretty fashony look. Certainly in right now, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Dark solid sweater and a dark solid tie are safe choices. You might want to consider a woven tie or a chunky weave on the cardigan to add some texture.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
How tight should a sweater be? I have a 38" inch chest. For a heavier wool sweater (SNS Herning), should I get a small with a chest measurement of 38.6", or the medium at 40.1"? (Would the small stretch out nicely? I hate baggy clothes).

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all know Navy Pants are versatile when it comes to shoe colors.

But what about Navy Shoes? What color does it go well with?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Radagast
I'm going through my closet and trying to decide whether to donate or alter my many ill fitting (fairly inexpensive) shirts.

What parts of a shirt must fit perfectly to make alterations worthwhile? Anything wrong with altering a shirt that has already been laundered multiple time?

The collar and shoulders have to fit, it's pointless to try to have these altered. If the chest also fits, great, but that's adjustable, as are body length, sleeve length and width, cuff size, etc.

According to my alterations tailor shirts SHOULD be laundered at least a few times before altering, so that they've had a chance to shrink.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind
Are mercerized Polos really worth it? How much better are they over mesh?
Frankly I don't care for either. Not that I think there is anything wrong with them, they just don't seem to fit me or compliment me 99% of the time.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pwb2103
So... where do I get started on style forum? I've been lurking for a while now and still am struggling to get up to speed. Basically I just defended my PhD and am going to start a consulting job in about a month. So I need to rapidly go from lab nerd apparel to office/finance appropriate clothing for Manhattan and London. Can anyone recommend some good "get up to speed" threads? I've already started to acquire shirts (wow, Charles Tyrwhitt tailored shirts actually fit!), a pair of shoes, and three suits... but pants? socks? undershirts? belts? briefcase? other items I haven't even thought about? I'm sure I'm not the first clueless person to stumble across style forum. EDIT: As always seems to be the case, just after posting a question I find a good answer. This thread seems promising: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=239902
Try this one. It's a work in progress. You can skip all the initial palaver at the top of the first post and get straight to the good stuff. A "Thread Closet" suggestion for the SF mods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads