• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English American Fit Pics

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some English American fit pics. These are consistent with all of the garments I have had them make for me. Hopefully you agree that these reslts are a bit better than HERCULES'.

Again, I apologize for the continually crumby quality of my pictures.

dgte6h.jpg

98wvow.jpg

Fire away...

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Tough to say much from those photos. Right sleeve seems to have a bit of buckling at the top. I like that the lapels have a full belly - makes them look much more interesting. Over all, I think it looks quite good. I would be interested to see better pics.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty impossible to tell from the pics...

Fit is certainly better but I can still tell they are building up too much in the chest and down towards the lats/under the arm... it's the one element that seems consistent across all there cutting and construction that they need to get beyond.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I follow CG.

BTW, these are two different suits. The one on top has a coat that is a bit longer per a recent adjustment to my pattern.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like the fit in pic 1. very nice.

yo vox, did you notice the toilet?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the shoulders look a bit too wide. Also, they seem heavily padded, which gives it a stiff look. Quarters are nice.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think the shoulders look a bit too wide. Also, they seem heavily padded, which gives it a stiff look. Quarters are nice.

The shoulders are not wide at all, they fit spot on. Also, I don't consider them to be heavily padded, although the coat in the first picture was caught in a down-pour once and the resultant shrinkage has made these shoulders appear a bit more square than my others...

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Also, they seem heavily padded, which gives it a stiff look.

Originally Posted by The Louche
Also, I don't consider them to be heavily padded,

There is a misconception about padding and shoulder expression- most people assume that a square-looking expression is the result of lots of padding and that a round expression has little or none. In fact, they are somewhat unrelated; I can make a shoulder that looks soft, round, and "natural" that has tons of padding and a big, square shoulder that has none- it has more to do with the cut of the sleeve, the sleeve head wadding, and how both are inserted.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
There is a misconception about padding and shoulder expression- most people assume that a square-looking expression is the result of lots of padding and that a round expression has little or none. In fact, they are somewhat unrelated; I can make a shoulder that looks soft, round, and "natural" that has tons of padding and a big, square shoulder that has none- it has more to do with the cut of the sleeve, the sleeve head wadding, and how both are inserted.

Interesting as always and thanks! So, you're not going to rip into these fits?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting as always and thanks! So, you're not going to rip into these fits?

Can't see anything.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
Jacket is good, but the pants look baggy.

Crap in pockets.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I follow CG.

If you take your left hand and cross over to the right and garb a handful of the coat, along your righ ribcage, around the pocket generally, the fronts they build up are on the stiff side and a bit thick... it's one area where they're pretty rigid despite what the tailoors/vendors ask for. It's a minor point to many but since moving on to, say, Sammy, I now understand the difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads