• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JGlaze

Reaction score
Tailoring Question.

I recently bought a navy Z Zenga Double Breasted Suit (with flat front pants). I had the pants tailored to a 7.5 inch leg opening with a 1.75 inch cuff with minimal to no break. My tailor, who I was using for the first time, put what he calls a "soft cuff" on the pants. To me, it just looks like the cuff is thicker than other cuffed pants I own....and by thicker, i mean it looks like the cloth is folded several times. I had them pressed after they were tailored thinking it would "tighten" the cuff but they came back looking the same. The crease in the front & back of the pants never looks as sharp on the cuff as it does on the rest of the pant. My questions are...

1) Is anyone familiar with this style cuff?
2) Do people actually like this? I'm really not feeling them...but want some other input before i go back to my tailor and request a change (if it's even possible).

Thanks as always.

ItsLouis

Reaction score
Anybody know of interesting places to shop in San Francisco or thereabouts? I am here for two weeks and so far I only have Alden as a place to go. Any help is appreciated

sunilvarma

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a Launer wallet and am wondering if I should get the rolled gold corners or not. Their website seems to not have pictures of that - so if anyone has pictures of a Launer wallet with rolled gold corners, can you please post them - so I have an idea of how it looks.

Thanks

pwb2103

Reaction score
So... where do I get started on style forum? I've been lurking for a while now and still am struggling to get up to speed. Basically I just defended my PhD and am going to start a consulting job in about a month. So I need to rapidly go from lab nerd apparel to office/finance appropriate clothing for Manhattan and London. Can anyone recommend some good "get up to speed" threads? I've already started to acquire shirts (wow, Charles Tyrwhitt tailored shirts actually fit!), a pair of shoes, and three suits... but pants? socks? undershirts? belts? briefcase? other items I haven't even thought about? I'm sure I'm not the first clueless person to stumble across style forum. EDIT: As always seems to be the case, just after posting a question I find a good answer. This thread seems promising: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=239902

gabocow

Reaction score
I was considering buying a "saxxon wool" sportcoat at BB since it's the F&F sale going on right now. I can wait until the summer sale, but do the discounts during summer on sportcoats go lower than 25% off?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Booter
Thoughts on wearing a shirt and sock of identical pattern/color? This does not mean green solid shirt w/ green solid socks, but rather white shirt with green and blue checks paired w/ identically matching socks.

It is definitely a look, however I feel that the ankles and shirt are too far apart to go for matches. Match with the trousers.

16simon

Reaction score
I'm having a shirt/tie matching nightmare - my undirected buying of each hasn't helped. This is what I've got:

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

The only match I've managed to make is the light blue shirt with the chocolate + blue dots tie but it looks very dull in anything except an interview context.

Can I match any of the others - or what other shirts/ties do I need to get some good combos going? As you can tell, I'm pretty hopeless at this but I'm hoping that someone can show me the way...

Dads81

Reaction score
What colour shoe would go with:

light grey suit w/ light blue & white checkered shirt

light grey suit w/ light yellow & white checkered shirt

I've got black, dark brown & tan shoes...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dads81
What colour shoe would go with:

light grey suit w/ light blue & white checkered shirt

light grey suit w/ light yellow & white checkered shirt

I've got black, dark brown & tan shoes...

Of course it depends on the occasion, but any of those shoes would probably work.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Are all Cucinelli suits and sportcoats fully canvassed, or do you need
to worry about fusing in some of them?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by utexas
I have two Brooks Brothers suits, and two sport coats. All Fitzgerald cut, except one Milano coat. I know that these are their "slimmer" cuts, but Regent is supposedly trim as well. Anybody know where Regent fits in the spectrum? Is it just the "traditional" analog (with Madison being "relaxed")?

Regent is a little roomier than Fitz, but much less so than Madison. It also differs in that it generally has double vents.

Dads81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Of course it depends on the occasion, but any of those shoes would probably work.

Not quite the definitive answer I was looking for, but thanks haha

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

Originally Posted by Dads81
Not quite the definitive answer I was looking for, but thanks haha

Given the lack of detail in your original post, this is the best answer you could have hoped for. Most of the other options would have involved large amounts of snark, "LMGTFY", and "n00b".

Dads81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Given the lack of detail in your original post, this is the best answer you could have hoped for. Most of the other options would have involved large amounts of snark, "LMGTFY", and "n00b".

Fair enough. Just didn't know what the "rules" were in regards to pairing the shirts with the shoes. Yellow and brown because they're earth tones?, etc.

utexas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gabocow
I was considering buying a "saxxon wool" sportcoat at BB since it's the F&F sale going on right now. I can wait until the summer sale, but do the discounts during summer on sportcoats go lower than 25% off?

I know the suits can go for more. I remember 30% off last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the sport coats are similarly discounted.

I would be tempted to buy now for the peace of mind. BB regularly runs out of suits and coats in my size. Either there are a lot of 40 Longs who buy from BB, or the store just keeps a limited number in stock. That's my situation at least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads