• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

International student on internship in NYC

emilo

Reaction score
Hi fellow SFers!

I have been so lucky as to get a 4 months internship at a communications agency in Manhattan this fall. I currently study Business Administration and Communication in Denmark, so it's just perfect for me.
smile.gif

What I'm really interested in is any tips on how to live in NYC, especially where to stay. I'm not very comfortable with craiglist, and it also seems that you have to be either gay or girl to get a room at a decent price there.

Have any of you been staying in NYC for extended period? If so, how did you go about finding somewhere to stay?

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emilo
Hi fellow SFers!

I have been so lucky as to get a 4 months internship at a communications agency in Manhattan this fall. I currently study Business Administration and Communication in Denmark, so it's just perfect for me.
smile.gif

What I'm really interested in is any tips on how to live in NYC, especially where to stay. I'm not very comfortable with craiglist, and it also seems that you have to be either gay or girl to get a room at a decent price there.

Have any of you been staying in NYC for extended period? If so, how did you go about finding somewhere to stay?

I used craigslist.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Craigslist really is going to be the most useful tool available to you.

Give us a little more information like your budget, interests and work location, and there are plenty of people here who can recommend some neighborhoods.

emilo

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll probably end up craiglisting it :)

Well, I'm going to work on Fifth Avenue/ 29th street (approx.). My budget for housing is probably 500-800 USD/month. I've never been to NY before, so I don't know much about it, is it possible to bike around Manhattan? If so, I'd love to stay in biking distance from work (~30-45min).

Any advice is much appreciated!

kungapa

Reaction score

Well, I'm going to work on Fifth Avenue/ 29th street (approx.). My budget for housing is probably 500-800 USD/month. I've never been to NY before, so I don't know much about it, is it possible to bike around Manhattan? If so, I'd love to stay in biking distance from work (~30-45min).

That is brooklyn/queens and a long commute budget. Though I have seen some chinatown places for around $900-$1000, but they were illegal conversions with no windows in the bedrooms.

emilo

Reaction score
^ Yeah, heard NYC was expensive. I take it all the rooms in Manhattan going for 500-600-700 USD on craiglist are scams then?

kungapa

Reaction score
^ Yeah, heard NYC was expensive. I take it all the rooms in Manhattan going for 500-600-700 USD on craiglist are scams then?

Yes. Almost. There MIGHT be something really crappy available far out in alphabet city or far up north in Harlem for that price. But for the most part it will be scams or misleading ads.

emilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
Yes. Almost. There MIGHT be something really crappy available far out in alphabet city or far up north in Harlem for that price. But for the most part it will be scams or misleading ads.

Figures.. That's also why it would be really nice to get some advice from people who live there now, or have been in a situation similar to mine recently
smile.gif

changy

Reaction score
Not necessarily, 800 is definitely doable in Financial District. It's not the most uplifting neighbourhood, but its safe and a shorter commute than queens or brooklyn. You will be sharing the apartment with someone.

Whatever you get, make sure it has airconditioning.

pkblaze100

Reaction score
5-800 in manhattan is doable but very difficult. Expect a twin bed in what is essentially a glorified closet. You can find very decent prices on the higher end of the upper east side but where it is still safe (80-100th st)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You can def bike around NY...HOWEVER, if you have never been here, you may want to tread lightly. Cars/taxis/buses/trucks don't stop for bikers!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkblaze100
5-800 in manhattan is doable but very difficult. Expect a twin bed in what is essentially a glorified closet. You can find very decent prices on the higher end of the upper east side but where it is still safe (80-100th st)

Um, the 80's is pure UES... hell the primary museums on 'Museum Mile' are all nut one located in the 80's (save for The Frick which is on 70th).

pkblaze100

Reaction score
Apologies imageWIS - when I said upper end, I meant "top half" of UES. Being near the mueseums is not necessarily a benefit when it comes to rentals (I was a real estate agent in NYC and really anything more than 1 ave away from them has the same prices...actually a bigger impact on price would be proximity to the express stop on 86th). Again for this price range you are alooking at small room in a share somewhere. For example, I had a $700 room on 96th and Madison back in 2007 (which is when the market was at its peak)

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
The apartment advice in the last few posts are pretty good.

NYC is becoming more bicycle friendly although you'll land a ticket faster than a motorist if you don't follow the rules. And if you really plan to bike to your internship in NYC in the summer, make sure your workplace has a shower and that your bosses will allow you to use it. You will likely be drenched even with a short, early morning ride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads