• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe advice for wedding

techdude

Reaction score
I'm getting married in June and am looking for some shoes. So far, I have tried on lots of shoes, and they are not comfortable. Someone just suggested I check out Cole Haans because they are designed for comfort. I am looking for something that might be slightly vintage looking.

Has anyone tried these before? Any thoughts on the quality of Cole Haans? These are the ones I am looking at:

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...rd-black-nappa

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...-wingtip-black

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-air-...ord-black-calf

Thanks.

tgt465

Reaction score
Black captoe is appropriate for a formal wedding. Wingtip is not appropriate, unless it is a casual event.

I can't comment on the comfort of Cole Haan, but you could try Rockport if you really feel comfort is an issue. Generally dress shoes are not going to be as comfortable as sneakers, maybe your expectations are too high.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Checkout Ecco if you want some comfortable shoes, I have a few pairs and by far they are the most comfortable I have worn.

techdude

Reaction score
Not expecting sneaker level comfort, though some of the shoes I have tried feel like there is hard material from inside the shoe sticking into my foot as I walk.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no on the cole haan. If you want cheap:
Loake-Loake%20Sharp-Black%20Polished-4327-2300-1.jpg
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/....jpg?undefined http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/....jpg?undefined http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/....jpg?undefined http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...lectedFitID=0# Loake design. It ain't anything amazing, but its goodyear welted, and far better than the cole haans. Before anyone flips a ****, yes I know its corrected grain and a chiseled toe, but for $170, its about as good as its going to get for a wedding, imho.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You definitely won't find much love for Cole Haan around here--cheap corrected grain (read: crappy) leather with rubber soles. If you had to pick one of the ones listed, pick the first--a classic captoe oxford in black like that is exactly what you want.

For a good entry-level shoe, take a look at the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue. You can get them cheaper than list either in the B&S forum here, on eBay, or through one of the Allen Edmonds shoe banks (seconds, though you almost always can't tell the difference).

Good luck, and congratulations!

Edit: The Loake listed above is also an option, but for not much more, you can get Allen Edmonds seconds which are full-grain leather and will last your forever.

johnright13

Reaction score
There are many types of shoes available in market. But in wedding you have to wear one of best shoe which is suit your personality and also your clothes. I think Red Chief shoes are best for wedding. It is best shoes available in market. It has also reasonable price and comfort to wear. It comes in many styles and colors. so you will like it. It is branded company so your shoes life will be long. so you have not worry for shoes.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
You definitely won't find much love for Cole Haan around here--cheap corrected grain (read: crappy) leather with rubber soles. If you had to pick one of the ones listed, pick the first--a classic captoe oxford in black like that is exactly what you want.

For a good entry-level shoe, take a look at the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue. You can get them cheaper than list either in the B&S forum here, on eBay, or through one of the Allen Edmonds shoe banks (seconds, though you almost always can't tell the difference).

Good luck, and congratulations!

Edit: The Loake listed above is also an option, but for not much more, you can get Allen Edmonds seconds which are full-grain leather and will last your forever.

While I really like the park avenue, I find it a bit bulbous and bulky especially if one is wearing a trim fit tuxedo.

I think the loake above is a bit sleeker and has a high shine that I tend to prefer for such an event.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
Black captoe is appropriate for a formal wedding. Wingtip is not appropriate, unless it is a casual event.
teacha.gif
I can't comment on the comfort of Cole Haan, but you could try Rockport if you really feel comfort is an issue. Generally dress shoes are not going to be as comfortable as sneakers, maybe your expectations are too high.
ffffuuuu.gif
Originally Posted by Wolfador
Checkout Ecco if you want some comfortable shoes, I have a few pairs and by far they are the most comfortable I have worn.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is it that when somebody asks a question on here all of these n00bz come out of the woodwork with the worst advice ever?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Why is it that when somebody asks a question on here all of these n00bz come out of the woodwork with the worst advice ever?

Because those who know better are tired of answering the same questions repeatedly?
confused.gif

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by techdude
Not expecting sneaker level comfort, though some of the shoes I have tried feel like there is hard material from inside the shoe sticking into my foot as I walk.

Leather starts out stiff and hard, and some shoes may cause pain initially. After some wearings, it will soften and stretch to accommodate the particular shape of your feet, assuming it is good leather and fits your foot well enough. This is known as "breaking in" new shoes.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador

Fail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads