• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dodo
Hi guys, help needed: where can I find an online store to buy a rrl gray oxford striped shirt for a chest 40" at a good price?
thanks

ebay

they have a large Ringside grey oxford for $80.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Cargo shorts, though... in my opinion all shorts should be cargo shorts

I wore cargo shorts for many years. Now I only wear regular shorts. Cargo shorts are for kids. Cargo shorts are an abomination to men with a sense of style.

osadolor619

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
I wore cargo shorts for many years. Now I only wear regular shorts. Cargo shorts are for kids. Cargo shorts are an abomination to men with a sense of style.

With a sense of YOUR style?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rayson
Yeah, I've decided to get rid of it all if I go off the effect. I like these rather than cargo shorts: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NWT-Ralph-Laur...item2eb43ad02a The dressiest I'd go would be to match them with a reasonably clean-looking T-shirt and the pair of canvas shoes that are falling apart least.
I'd be OK with these. They are not pretending to be non-casual, which is good. I just find that I appreciate the extra pockets when I'm wearing shorts.
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Ha. Fair enough. As I said, my opinion only. One style I've become fond of are the camp shorts that have the deep, squared off pockets in front - not pleated, but they are sewn on top of the shorts, rather than being inside. Can't find a photo of them Also, these army-style shorts from RL are bulky; but the slanted flap pockets are pure genius. They are the perfect angle for easily retrieving your things and the flap keeps things secure. http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

theRRshop

Reaction score
Thanks so much..... I will now stop posting here.... have a good day.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
I respect your interest in the line and in the vintage pieces, but let's not have a bad attitude. Of course, some people are going to be more price-conscious than others. It doesn't make them better or worse people.

I actually know one of the key members of the original RRL design team - she actually posts here occasionally, though never in this thread - and we've actually done a collaboration with her in the past. Her knowledge of vintage is encyclopedic. She also has a much better attitude than do you. Maybe you could take a cue from one of your idols.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good riddance loser.
Go sell your overpriced ugly RRL on ebay.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. I subscribed again. I can't tell if that dude was trolling or serious

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol was going to pm you. but hes not banned so will likely come back... he seems to come in waves haha

fok's comment to him was a while ago. not sure why he finally noticed it

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my short time on this thread, he shot up to the top of my list of people I should put on ignore. He beat out some real gems too.

osadolor619

Reaction score
I guess I didn't mean actual linen but a very very light weight cotton, almost see through, something like a shirt you would wear in Miami. I haven't really seen anything like that in RRL but maybe you guys have.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theRRshop has been banned for racist comments. We are usually pretty lenient around here, but that is one thing that we will not tolerate.

I do agree that catering to a demographic whose tastes tend to shift fairly rapidly can be a recipe for disaster, especially when such a move would alienate your core customer (in RRL's case, what I like to refer to as the Gen-Yupster). This happened to Tommy Hilfiger, who has never really recovered from his disastrous expansion in the late 90s. In any case, any clever marketer knows that if you've managed to attract a lucrative demographic, you take advantage of that without sacrificing your core values and carefully cultivated image that got you where you are. And if nothing else, Ralph Lipshitz is a cunning marketer and a true survivor.

Posted while wearing my RRL slim fits.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osadolor619
I guess I didn't mean actual linen but a very very light weight cotton, almost see through, something like a shirt you would wear in Miami. I haven't really seen anything like that in RRL but maybe you guys have.

I've seen some shirts like this, but really, you might want to look at Engineered Garments, which takes a lot of inspiration from surfing for its SS collections. Personally, Miami in the summer sounds like hell on earth, but that's just me.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I'd nominate Post O'Alls for lightweight summer shirts, too. They really excel at finding unique fabrics, including lightweight ones, and their cuts are a bit looser than RRL's, and therefore more suited to the summer in the south. Plus I just love POA.

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
^^ I'd nominate Post O'Alls for lightweight summer shirts, too. They really excel at finding unique fabrics, including lightweight ones, and their cuts are a bit looser than RRL's, and therefore more suited to the summer in the south. Plus I just love POA.

I wonder how many people can actually wear post SS shirts. I would love to buy them but the arms are way too short and you need to upsize which results in a way too loose fit in the body. Each year I want to buy some shirts from them but the arms are 2 inch shorter than the same size in other brands

the_rizzle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
theRRshop has been banned for racist comments. We are usually pretty lenient around here, but that is one thing that we will not tolerate.

agreed that the sort of garbage he ended up posting cannot be tolerated, but before that he was a motherlode of unintentional comedy. I mean, OK there are serious collectors of RRL out there but he was just a nutjob, plain & simple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads