• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I think there may be better options or that price

Could you be more specific? It was actually on sale recently for $300, is it worth it at that? What others are better?

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gauss17
I need to get a belt to match #8 Alden PTBs, and it would appear that the only belt that really matches it is the cordovan belts from (surprise) Alden. There are two sizes 35 and 30, which are clearly the more casual and dress belt respectively. I would really prefer to only have to buy one belt at ~$240 a pop, so can I get away with one or the other for both a suit and jeans? I was thinking I might be able to get away with just the 35mm as on AE's website they list it as a "35mm dress belt" and the fact that I am a bigger guy (6' 4", ~200 lbs).
I'm not an expert, but I'd go with the 30mm, you can use it less formal, but the 35mm is a bit chunky for a suit. This place (recommended elsewhere on this forum) sells custom belts in a matching color to the Horween Cordovan (burgundy). "We are told this is a very good match with Horween #8 Shell Cordovan."
bueg.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ElJaguario
Where can I get a decent suit in 34R? my budget is 1.5k

For 1.5k you are pretty close to bespoke territory in which case you'll be much better off than throwing it at some name brand designer. You are talking dollars, not lire, right?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I'm not an expert, but I'd go with the 30mm, you can use it less formal, but the 35mm is a bit chunky for a suit. This place (recommended elsewhere on this forum) sells custom belts in a matching color to the Horween Cordovan (burgundy). "We are told this is a very good match with Horween #8 Shell Cordovan."
Thank you sir.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swagger
On a scale of 1 to 10 how dumb should I feel wearing black socks atm?
nod[1].gif

I still wear black socks occasionally. The only time when navy or some other colour wouldn't be a better choice is with black tie, but in many cases nobody will really notice providing your trousers are dark and your shoes are black. The dumbness you should feel increases rapidly if wearing them with lighter-coloured trousers though.

Booter

Reaction score
Thoughts on wearing a shirt and sock of identical pattern/color? This does not mean green solid shirt w/ green solid socks, but rather white shirt with green and blue checks paired w/ identically matching socks.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long does Deer Bone last? Since the bone is not in a living deer I would assume it has a finite amount of oil.

As its reservoir becomes depleted does it become more abrasive to the leather of the shoes?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering for a while; what are the darkest lens aviator sunglasses available? I have mostly aviator style shades from Ray-Ban and Persol, but I still desire a darker shade than what I seem to be able to find.

Short of going to an optometrist and seeing if I can have dark brown or grey lenses crafted, I'd love to see some options for classic brass framed aviators with dark lenses, if anyone knows of a good example.

Gracias.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of shirt collar is the most versatile in the ways it can be worn? Spread collar looks to be formal and wearing it with a slimmer tie would probably look off. Would point collar be the best or semi-spread? Which would work best with both regular ties and slim ones? Thanks.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello!I saw this pants on sale and liked it but I'm quite unsure what should i wear with it,and are those considered SF approved?until now i only wore plain color pants(tan) or jeans,so i don't know much about pants like this.It's linen,silk and wool blend which i've never owned before.my question is a little bit silly,should i get it?
smile.gif
396b7e47b503.jpg

utexas

Reaction score
I have two Brooks Brothers suits, and two sport coats. All Fitzgerald cut, except one Milano coat. I know that these are their "slimmer" cuts, but Regent is supposedly trim as well. Anybody know where Regent fits in the spectrum? Is it just the "traditional" analog (with Madison being "relaxed")?

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I tried on both the AE MacNeil 10.5D and the 10E. The 10.5D fit well but might have been a tiny bit too long, but i could probably have pulled it off. The 10E seemed to fit better.

I bought the 10E but now I feel this foot pain and leg pain after my second wearing. Is this because maybe the 10E is too short and my arch isn't being supported? (I think i have high arches). It feels a bit stiff on the sole but I thought that was because it was new. Do I need the 10.5D?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Hello!I saw this pants on sale and liked it but I'm quite unsure what should i wear with it,and are those considered SF approved?until now i only wore plain color pants(tan) or jeans,so i don't know much about pants like this.It's linen,silk and wool blend which i've never owned before.my question is a little bit silly,should i get it?
smile.gif
396b7e47b503.jpg

Definitely kop. I have a similar pair but in a darker, chocolate brown and they're great. Not a pair for everyday but still awesome.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I need a belt to wear with trousers/dark denim and a pair of tan (i.e. walnut) Loake Kemptons (these are pebble-grain chukkas). So, a tan belt, possibly woven as they're a less formal shoe, but I'm open to suggestions.

So any suggestions? I'm pretty broke, so sub-$60 shipped would be good (I live in Australia, so shipping won't be free...).

Thanks!

petit-musee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
Hi all

I need a belt to wear with trousers/dark denim and a pair of tan (i.e. walnut) Loake Kemptons (these are pebble-grain chukkas). So, a tan belt, possibly woven as they're a less formal shoe, but I'm open to suggestions.

So any suggestions? I'm pretty broke, so sub-$60 shipped would be good (I live in Australia, so shipping won't be free...).

Thanks!

How about a ring belt from Archival Clothing in Portland? They're 24 USD, so you can't beat the price. http://store.archivalclothing.com/pr...g-webbing-belt http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/004...grande.jpg?298

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads