• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think the majority of people who regularly post fits here look very comfortable in their clothes. That's still not a reason not to criticize it, because ultimately we're on an enthusiast forum and that's the nature of things here, especially in a thread where we are supposed to discuss not only fit but also style (and by extension, a bit of lifestyle).

The whole "he looks comfortable in his clothes and they fit his personality" is a total cop out here where we are interested in not only well fitting clothing but also styling. Chinos/plaids/oxfords/whatever infinitely interchangeable wardrobe is boring as ****, and as much hate that the uniform (tee, denim, sneakers) gets, I don't understand why **** like SvB is getting so much love.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback; I appreciate everyone taking the time to weigh in and I do find the advice/thoughts useful, whether I follow it or not.

I find it funny/ironic how a controversy seems to have sprung up over whether my look is too non-controversial or generic.

Ordinarily I wouldn't bring up personal details as I don't think it should matter when the focus on this board is fashion -- but given the way the conversation is going I think it's relevant to point out that part of what dictates my style is the fact that I am an attorney at a mid-size firm and thus most of what I wear is going to be appropriate for that type of environment. If you hadn't caught on as to why I wear suits a couple days a week, that's also why. I do civil defense litigation so I appear in court on a regular basis. The only reason I bring any of this up is just to put my style into context.

I do put a lot of thought and effort into developing a personal style and I don't think where I've ended up is totally generic or unimaginative or pure following of trends. Is mine the craziest or most sophisticated style out there either? No, certainly not. It's what works for me, for now. That will probably change gradually as I learn more and get more feedback going forward. I've certainly got a ton of great ideas from what everyone has said on this board.

I would actually be interested in stuff like ToJ or even Julius/RO/Ann D./whatever if I felt like I could work it into my everyday wardrobe. Fact is, I can't. And yes, I get that some guys on here have a "street" look and change into a suit once they get to the office, but that isn't really feasible for me or the road I want to go down.

The reason I post here primarily and not MC or AAAC is that I can still get away with a fair amount where I work and I do still want to dress with style on the weekends (I know that sounds really beige but I am trying to avoid words like "steez" and "swag"). Also I find that this board has a much better understanding of fit and proportions (relative to any style) than the other boards.

And I do think every day is Sunday.
biggrin.gif

G0079

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
I find that this board has a much better understanding of fit and proportions (relative to any style) than the other boards.
No kidding...the crossover contest was fun to watch. Not that SW&D did MC very well, but I think it's tougher to figure a casual look for yourself. It isn't so much painting by numbers.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont get this focus on SvB cuz he looks fine, and posts similar looking fits as most of you. I think he just needs to get out of his comfort zone, and maybe experiment. He seems to follow a formula of button up + pants + shoes that go well with work. If thats not true, sorry but its what it seems.

People are confusing me with this generic talk because he looks better than a lot others doing the same thing on here. Plus, there are only a handful of people that really stand out here usually.

Svb, you obviously need to dress a way that caters to your lifestyle if you feel that's the route that will give you comfort, but I don't think you need to constrain yourself that much. I don't think RO/Julius/Ann would be a good route, but I'd love to see you in Dior or something. Why not EG, stanley?

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Dior/EG are probably within reason, yeah. Once I have a bit more cash I will try to experiment a bit more.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Here's what it is, in a nutshell that I can best express while brushing my teeth before bed; we're in this 200?-2011 era where nobody gives a **** about how you actually look, it's all about picking apart clothes and being vaguely new-American, and being in the focus of a DSLR with a low depth of field while trying to look deep, and looking like you have trendy hobbies and so on and so on- where's the the personal style again? Oh yeah, it's missing, we replaced it with chambray and chino. So you trickle it down about 10 stages and you get to a SVB type, who doesn't really know where to start....

This is probably the most insightful thing I've read in this thread in months. I don't think SVB would look right all TOJ-ed out, since that aesthetic doesn't suit his personality at all and he'd probably end up looking more unnatural than a lot of people seem to think he looks like now.

However, this is great post because the idea applies to a lot of folks here and existing through reblogs of reblogs of Tumblr posts. It's natural (and I think advised to a point) that when you're starting out with this whole style thing, you should embrace guideposts whether they're in the form of lookbooks, blogs or people on here. The problem emerges when people don't get past that initiation stage and instead sticks with a look that is less about what makes them feel and look good, opting instead to wear clothes that look good on other people or make other people feel good.

No doubt that there's a group of people who are willing spend more on clothes, ultimately care more about having some nice clothes and less about how clothes reflect their own style (or whatever we want to call it, since I feel like a tool when I talk about "personal style"). But for those who want to push past just owning nice ****, it's necessary to find what works best for you, both visually and how that makes you feel. Otherwise you'll probably just look like some dude playing Tumblr Copycat.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes with all the SVB controversy haha. SVB, that last suit fit is fine overall, I agree slimmer tie width is a must for you and the shoes there are just a shade too light, a darker brown would have been nice (I don't like black footwear personally, only wear it for formal settings with black suits for the most part). If the leg opening were smaller, I think no break would look better, but it seems like the leg opening of the more conservative/straight cut pants you're wearing would look better with a slight break. I also hate pinstripe suits unless the pinstripes are barely visible or hardly noticeable, but that's just me, I hate what vertical stripes do visually to anyone, I prefer interesting textures over stripes and such.

I am not required to wear suits most of my days, just rarely for any night meetings I attend, even my day meetings with clients and such, ties aren't really necessary and my casual syle usually stays within the spectrum if business casual and generally bland so I can relate to your non-work style/fit perspective. While I appreciate some the street fits with high tops or those who post julius/rick, etc., that's not my taste, what I like to incorporate instead are generally conservative "old mannish" or "generic" items (OCBDs/jeans/sneakers/loafers/trousers/knits/etc.), but focus on fit, textures, fabrics, details, etc. that you find in designer or more expensive clothing (i.e. a Schneider oxford vs. a generic oxford, a ToJ leather jacker vs. a generic leather jacket, Epaulet/Incotex/Mabitex/Ervell/BoO trousers vs. generic trousers, Epaulet/W+H/Mabitex chinos vs. Dockers/J.Crew, etc.). That's not to say that those generic brands can't fit well or incorporate well into a fit b/c there are posters here like mellowfellow and others that prove it can, but for me, my enjoyment comes from the little things that you see/feel when wearing the items, but may not be noticeable in passing or in the fit pics without posting macro shots.

Anyway, I lost track of my original point, but you obviously are comfirtable in a certain style like myself and that's all good and may be boring, but that's you and if you found your nitche no problem stikcing with it. I would just think it would be neat say if you stuck to your style, but looked at designers like Schneider, Ervell, or even say Dries. You don't have to drop mad coin, but your style with some of those designers mixed in for instance would be neat to see. Anyway...

Originally Posted by BrizaBirch
would totally recommend them, man. they are so versatile with or w/o laces. and super comfy with the rubber sole. they are as comfortable or moreso than my fluevog creepers ( http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7483/dsc00893m.jpg <--fluevogs)

was totally gunna post a "sup tonio" mirror shot of me in that bizcaz with my 4hm cowichan - you got the same one, right?
but then i didn't

Yeah they look like they would blend with casual and biz caz well. I'm spent on some other items at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out for end of season sales. I thought the plain grey leather oxfords looked great to so I was trying to determine which I liked better and would blend with more fits between the two. Likely the ones you have.

I did notice the 4HM Cowichan actually and forgot to post about it haha. That thing is great isn't it? Yours seems a bit more fitted than mine, probably b/c it's your actual size. Nice look though.

Originally Posted by scott.m
Tonio they're fantastic, just a little heavy for the weather, my feet cant handle them ahaha.

Music to my ears. Looking forward to your fits with them in Fall/Winter so I can wear them vicariously through you.

Originally Posted by noobizor
Nah, I really appreciate what good faith SF advice I've received, and have taken it to heart in recent purchases. Sometimes I do prefer bigger fits. This was actually based on recent Charlie Sheen pics.
laugh.gif

There's a difference between looser fits and ill-fitting though so you need to be careful. For instance shoulder seams falling over your shoulder is a bad fit no matter how comfortable you are. You're celebrity takes crack me up though.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
You and Mok have great casual style and don't look like you're playing kiddies. Facial hair helps of course. Now that I think of it I'm probably the poster closest to your age in here. Hmmm.

I am probably close to you guys as well compared to the rest of the SW&D crowd.

Originally Posted by Nil
Good catch. It indeed was.

tonio-damus
devil.gif
I can spot Latino a mile away.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
As a fellow resident I can attest to the fact that Baltimore is one of the WORST places. It's like living in a third world country minus the great ethnic food and sexy brown women.
Just saw this in Mikey's sig O Magic One. As a fellow resident, I would say some okay "ethnic" food at best, and some very sexy brown women (just ignore the knees
laugh.gif
). If you want great authentic Sichuan/Hong Kong cuisine, PM me. It's out in the hinterlands, though.

jwied82

Reaction score
P5022088.jpg

P5022093.jpg

same pants as yesterday
different silent t (same cut, different color, one size larger)
isaora jacket
brato shoes

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You and Mok have great casual style and don't look like you're playing kiddies. Facial hair helps of course. Now that I think of it I'm probably the poster closest to your age in here. Hmmm.
Missed this... thanks. Mid/late thirties is a great age to be (at least for me). I've gotten to the point where I feel like I've made up for past questionable decisions, approval of others isn't as important to me, and long term relationships with women aren't nearly as much on my mind. It all contributes to a great feeling of independence.
I do put a lot of thought and effort into developing a personal style and I don't think where I've ended up is totally generic or unimaginative or pure following of trends. Is mine the craziest or most sophisticated style out there either? No, certainly not. It's what works for me, for now. That will probably change gradually as I learn more and get more feedback going forward.
Well, I wouldn't take it too much to heart. There's probably more criticism of your last fit in this thread than was in your year-end review at the law firm.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback; I appreciate everyone taking the time to weigh in and I do find the advice/thoughts useful, whether I follow it or not. I find it funny/ironic how a controversy seems to have sprung up over whether my look is too non-controversial or generic. Ordinarily I wouldn't bring up personal details as I don't think it should matter when the focus on this board is fashion -- but given the way the conversation is going I think it's relevant to point out that part of what dictates my style is the fact that I am an attorney at a mid-size firm and thus most of what I wear is going to be appropriate for that type of environment. If you hadn't caught on as to why I wear suits a couple days a week, that's also why. I do civil defense litigation so I appear in court on a regular basis. The only reason I bring any of this up is just to put my style into context. I do put a lot of thought and effort into developing a personal style and I don't think where I've ended up is totally generic or unimaginative or pure following of trends. Is mine the craziest or most sophisticated style out there either? No, certainly not. It's what works for me, for now. That will probably change gradually as I learn more and get more feedback going forward. I've certainly got a ton of great ideas from what everyone has said on this board. I would actually be interested in stuff like ToJ or even Julius/RO/Ann D./whatever if I felt like I could work it into my everyday wardrobe. Fact is, I can't. And yes, I get that some guys on here have a "street" look and change into a suit once they get to the office, but that isn't really feasible for me or the road I want to go down. The reason I post here primarily and not MC or AAAC is that I can still get away with a fair amount where I work and I do still want to dress with style on the weekends (I know that sounds really beige but I am trying to avoid words like "steez" and "swag"). Also I find that this board has a much better understanding of fit and proportions (relative to any style) than the other boards. And I do think every day is Sunday.
biggrin.gif

Look at AR_Six's fits, that's lawyer steez done right (and DLester, though I don't know if he's a lawyer)

adadan

Reaction score
First post. Forgive the poor photo quality, was a bit rushed trying to catch the waning sunlight...
vGbJH.jpg

unbuttoned:

BHEIC.jpg

Edifice
Baron Wells
MJK
Herbert Schier

Knock yourselves out...

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^sometimes, always, never

Otherwise I love pink with navy. What color are the shoes? Can't quite tell if it's black or not.

adadan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
^sometimes, always, never
Buttons? If so, I take your point.

Coat and shoes are both black, actually. Lighting is pretty poor, my bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads