• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Only the most dedicated ones of their age would have shopped at the Squire Shop I reckon, especially with the one in the yellow shirt seeming to be the youngest lad. Would certainly be an interesting detail though...

Could have 'borrowed' it from an older brother...
laugh.gif

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Could have 'borrowed' it from an older brother...
laugh.gif

Yeah, had crossed my mind too that
smile.gif
What year would this have been? Shirt could e.g. also have been given to the lad by someone who had already abandoned 'the look' perhaps...

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
Yeah, had crossed my mind too that
smile.gif
What year would this have been? Shirt could also have been given to the lad by someone that had already abandoned 'the look' perhaps...

Well, I bought the particular shirt we're talking of in mid 1969.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you identify the shirts? The yellow one (far left) looks a little bit like the the one my mate bought from the Squire Shop, but it's difficult to see because the photo has faded.
I thought the same MoM, It could well be a shirt from the Squire Shop, I had a few of those large window pane check shirts. Squire shirts was around,£5 a lot of money back then, But kids would get them, Parents would often help out, I still think they are Londoners
smile.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pic again, Three of the lads seem to be wearing Levi Sta Prest, with side pockets, Its worth saying the early Sta prest had side pockets so it could be 69, After a while Levis issued Sta Prest with those awful front pockets, [cant remember the name of them] And the side pocket version got a little hard to get hold of.
They look about 14,

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
early Sta prest had side pockets so it could be 69, After a while Levis issued Sta Prest with those awful front pockets, [cant remember the name of them] And the side pocket version got a little hard to get hold of.

I'd go along with 69.

Those front pockets were sometimes (mis)described as 'fob pockets', but they were more like what we used to call 'frog mouth pockets'. I know the very ones you're talking about - they were a bit bloody naff.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you look at the pic , you can see that the lads have influenced each other, The smarter Skinheads would form smaller groups in the gang, this happened with us, We would often decide what the standard of dress was to be worn that night, so we looked cool as a group. I am sure the girls did the same.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you look at the pic , you can see that the lads have influenced each other, The smarter Skinheads would form smaller groups in the gang, this happened with us, We would often decide what the standard of dress was to be worn that night, so we looked cool as a group. I am sure the girls did the same.

That's very much how I remember it too. I don't want to go on about that American shirt, but once my mate and I had that same brand of shirt we formed a kind of 2-man clique, hung out a lot more together, and influenced a handful of other blokes.

I do remember it being a bit like that with the girls too, although I remember my ex June coming to the Savoy in a brand new PoW suit. She looked like a million dollars in it, but after that one time she decided she looked too 'common' (her word), so she only ever wore the skirt after that. That was a crying shame, because she did look 100% in the full suit.

Alex Roest

Reaction score

That's very much how I remember it too. I don't want to go on about that American shirt, but once my mate and I had that same brand of shirt we formed a kind of 2-man clique, hung out a lot more together, and influenced a handful of other blokes.

Good of you both to return once more to the theme of influencing one another, excellent stuff really!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
You guys preferred the sta prest with side pockets instead of the frogmouth? I am the opposite as I prefer frogmouth but my fave Levis staprest repros I own are ones with side pockets. I like the way it keeps your silhouette intact if you bend over, as the pockets do not gape open at the sides

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
You guys preferred the sta prest with side pockets instead of the frogmouth? I am the opposite as I prefer frogmouth but my fave Levis staprest repros I own are ones with side pockets. I like the way it keeps your silhouette intact if you bend over, as the pockets do not gape open at the sides

Jason the answer is - don't bend over!
laugh.gif

I can't bend over any more anyway.
angry.gif

albion

Reaction score
I know this is a real long shot, but could anyone here possibly know what make of Brogues the guy on the left is wearing?..I love their huge, chunky quality and would like to seek out a pair...They surely could not be DM's from that far back, could they?. Cheers

ewc

Reaction score
I first read about Jump the Gun harringtons in this thread, so I figured I'd post about mine here. Ordered a olive harrington with the raglan sleeves in a medium which got here today. It looks really great; exactly what I'm looking for in a light jacket. I'm not too sure about the sizing, though. It doesn't fit as slim as I had heard/hoped. Zipped, unzipped. Thoughts?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ looks like you could have size down 1 more size. I think they fit slim, but like almost every harrington, if you go with your tagged size, you get more of a classic fit (aka roomy). remember a harrington wasnt intended to be worn as a slim jacket, it was supposed to be roomy so you could play golf in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads