• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Met Costume Gala Attire

mjphillips

Reaction score
Tonight is the annual Met Gala and the opportunity to laugh at how famous people dress is on par with the Oscars. First a couple good ones: Jay-Z in ivory (though not really warm enough yet and not a fan of the wing collar).
02_metcostumegala_beyoncejayz.jpg
Caleb Followill in a DB
02_metcostumegala_aldridgefollowill.jpg
Firth looking a bit sloppier than usual. No idea what this fabric is on the dinner jacket. Any ideas?
02_metcostumegala_colinfirth.jpg
Notch. Is that a safety pin instead of a button?
02_metcostumegala_kanyetoryburch.jpg
Atrocious.
02_metcostumegala_deetommyhilfiger.jpg
Well at least Hamish owns the look. I'm actually a fan of the loafers.
02_metcostumegala_hamishbowles.jpg
Much better.
02_metcostumegala_salmahayek.jpg
More here and at www.vogue.com

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
Firth looking a bit sloppier than usual. No idea what this fabric is on the dinner jacket. Any ideas?
02_metcostumegala_colinfirth.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Tom Ford. Not sure about the fabric though. The lapel buttonhole is odd.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For entertainers, it's a fairly tasteful assortment. Firth is a disaster here though. I don't wanna bust out the shoelace arguments again, but are those big ole sneaker laces?

Is Kanye in spats?

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
mjphillips;4429543 said:

This kind of trouser is a real peeve of mine. THEY DON'T FIT. Modern, 'fashionable', looks crap.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Note: Colin Firth only wears Tom Ford. They're best buddies since filming A Single Man.

Also note: Colin Firth has no idea how to dress himself. I love the guy, but he doesn't. Seen this on multiple occasions. Fabric is likely a very complex wool/silk satin weave although I suppose it could be a velvet weave. Dolce and Gabbana has done similar to this in previous seasons.

Last Note: I think Kanye completely failed here. I have respect that he pushes things, but he has to accept the risks that go along with that, as he does here. He looks like a clueless highschool kid who got too fat for his tux on prom night and safety-pinned it because the buttons wouldn't close.

EDIT: One last thing: Tom Ford looks like he's maybe put on a few pounds since he had the tux made, that's why there are a few fit issues. (See: Break at lapel and pulling at button). The only other possibility being that he's turned at an odd angle in the photo (note his posture), creating some fit mayhem.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hate Ford's lapels. And I wish he'd use grosgrain instead of satin.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Which met is this?

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Which met is this?
Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. Annual Costume Institute Ball put on by Vogue. This exhibit this year is on Alexander McQueen, so is getting a little more attention that usual. I agree, re: Kanye. Looks like a rumpled black suit.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMHO, I'd respect it more if he ditched the the DJ trappings and went full transvestite.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I agree that the crimson jacket looks atrocious. Yet if you took away the black braiding, I think it would look okay. In a darker shade like maroon and with less sheen, it would look pretty good. Etutee's superb post at the London Lounge has an illustration of a maroon/wine one, towards the bottom. It looks great. The black braiding ruins this crimson number because it fragments the contrast between the jacket color and the shirt color. It draws the eye away from the triangle formed by shirt surrounded by jacket lapels and bow tie, and towards the braiding. What it ends up looking like is the chain of office of an English mayor. The eye doesn't know whether it should be looking at the shirt triangle, or at the chain.

By contrast, black braiding on a black DJ works pretty well, as on Hugh Laurie here. Like black facings, it suggests the periphery of the triangle, although the suggestion isn't as strong. This is why Kanye's black jacket, though it lacks facings or braiding, still looks okay. It does a decent job of suggesting the triangle, though less so than Hugh Laurie's black braiding and far less than Firth's black facings. This is why I think Firth looks good; his suit respects all the formal principles of black tie while throwing in a slightly feminine twist with the scaley fabric. It's a nod to the age's discomfort with hypermasculinity in dress. Firth's ensemble shows that there's flexibility and life in the dinner suit.

mjphillips

Reaction score
^^nice post. I agree re: Hilfiger, would have been much more acceptable in a darker color.

Tom Ford divides opinion in general but if there is a resurgence of the dinner suit he will be partially responsible.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
For entertainers, it's a fairly tasteful assortment. Firth is a disaster here though. I don't wanna bust out the shoelace arguments again, but are those big ole sneaker laces?

Probably silk ribbon laces, which are acceptable.

1934_AA_v5_n1a_shoes_sweetened2.gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is like one of those how-many-things-can-you-find-wrong-with-this-picture things.
Black Don't-Watch?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone recognize the venue?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads