• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
today I saw:

two fashionistata: Ikram and Zang Toi

two guys wearing a skirt: Zang Toi in a black mini skirt with sequin embroidery of a camelia, possibly a Chanel. Also, a regular guy wearing a pleated khaki-skirt with cargo pockets, birkenstock sandals and a grey sweater

two films: about an elephant and water, about birds in Brazil

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB1 I have no idea why you care what the majority of people you know think about the clothing you wear

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
dude, myers brigg isn't some precise laser used to pinpoint someone' socialization process. You'd do well to threat it as halfway between phrenology and pop psych.
I am well aware of academia's criticisms of MBTI. MBTI only provides a model for estimating (or understanding) how a person's thought process works. I realize it is not always a good predictor of behavior, and MBTI does not truly claim to predict such things. However that should not preclude it from being useful for making categorical comparisons which help us better understand potential differences between people. We all make other comparisons daily while relying on far more shaky, unproven theories than MBTI. But comparing MBTI to phrenology is a poor comparison since a large part of MBTI has been confirmed by the entirely research based Big 5 personality model. I simply use MBTI for my comparisons since many people are familiar with it, whereas few have heard of the other models. While I do not fully trust Meyers Brigg's motivations for constructing MBTI (i.e. their desire to say that no personality type is better than another), the basis of their work was likely quite solid. Have you read much of Carl Jung's writings? Then man was clearly brilliant and had insights that few others will. While much of MBTI may seem like pop-psychology, Jung's work certainly is not! Oh and interestingly enough, your behavior on this forum matches that of an ENTP. I noticed this and picked that type for you long before you even posted your result of ENTP to the MBTI poll here on the forum.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
BB1 I have no idea why you care what the majority of people you know think about the clothing you wear
Are you trying to say that you only wear what you like and don't care what others think? Likewise if your face got severely burned to point of looking like a monster, would you also not care about the negative reactions from others? The idea that you present your clothing and public image with no care for what others in your life may think is absurd. I suspect you are simply less curious to understand the thoughts and reactions of others, and thus cannot comprehend why I would find interest in analyzing such things. Recall kunk's comments from a few weeks back where he was at Disney World and decided his Rick outfits made him look like an asshole. While he didn't claim anyone reacted negatively, he used his intuition to imagine what others might be thinking.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man why are you so black and white??

Being horribly and traumatically burned on your face and caring what people say is totally different from crying to your mum about what you wear, a large degree of personal choice being the dominant factor in the difference. Look at DSH patient groups to see what they say about their scaring vs burn victims of industrial accidents.

Are you trolling?? I can't really believe you used that in an e-argument..

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Have you read much of Carl Jung's writings? Then man was clearly brilliant and had insights that few others will. While much of MBTI may seem like pop-psychology, Jung's work certainly is not!

Without having read the entire discussion, I just have to comment on this... Carl Jung might have been "brilliant", but saying its not pop-psychology is just incorrect. Jungs theories have even less empirical support than Freud´s, and the archetype concept is so vague and meta-physical that it rightly have inspired athe arts rather than science.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being horribly and traumatically burned on your face and caring what people say is totally different from crying to your mum about what you wear, a large degree of personal choice being the dominant factor in the difference. Look at DSH patient groups to see what they say about their scaring vs burn victims of industrial accidents.

You're attempting to turn this into a moral argument when none was originally intended. I realize that one involves personal choice vs. not. The only relevant piece of the comparison is how in both cases people care about the image they present to others, be it their face or wearing socially acceptable clothing.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The context for each of the respective complaints is different? Thats what makes the analogy inappropriate.

If someone's face was horrifically damaged either thought accident or by cause not of their own consent, the context of that fear of social disapproval is vastly different to yours, which is your mother not liking your shoes. You can see that right?

I wear ridiculous metallic knits and gradient turtle necks, silk cardigans, patent sneakers etc etc and I really could not care what people thought. If they don't like it so be it, each to their own. Why are you dressing for their approval? Just kop DILF jeans, white T and six pack of lite beer as accessory, you will fit right in. I don't think people are going to change their ways about your ninja fashionz, no matter how much you argue with them. More so, they will probably give you more grief. Ontop of this, if your shy / meek then they will give you hell ala SZ.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drunk and shopping in Tokyo Uh oh
pu9vfl.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone's face was horrifically damaged either thought accident or by cause not of their own consent, the context of that fear of social disapproval is vastly different to yours, which is your mother not liking your shoes. You can see that right?

Just forget the face analogy. In retrospect I should have never used it since it has sidetracked us into a largely pointless argument.

I wear ridiculous metallic knits and gradient turtle necks, silk cardigans, patent sneakers etc etc and I really could not care what people thought. If they don't like it so be it, each to their own. Why are you dressing for their approval? Just kop DILF jeans, white T and six pack of lite beer as accessory, you will fit right in. I don't think people are going to change their ways about your ninja fashionz, no matter how much you argue with them. More so, they will probably give you more grief. Ontop of this, if your shy / meek then they will give you hell ala SZ.

So is this why you never post any fit pics? You truly don't care what anybody thinks about your style nor are you curious to receive feedback?

I don't primarily dress for others' approval. If that had that been my main goal, I've certainly failed! However I do dress to present a certain look/image and to fit in somewhat. And when people say they see something different than what I intended, I feel compelled to better understand why. Partially out of pure curiosity to understand their point of view, and partially out of a personal desire to tweak my look slightly since I am always looking for ways to incrementally change things.

I feel the often voiced platitudes here of "I dress for myself" are likely overstated. As I mentioned before kunk seems like a very confident guy, yet we learned he is concerned about how others may perceive his Rick outfits while at Disney. This is not a lack of confidence, but being in tune the environment and what others around you feel. By contrast SZ feels inward looking, like it is shutting out the world.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Common ESFJ attitude about clothing. That someone like her would openly adopt crocks is revealing of the status they must enjoy among many as being "normal". Being seen by others as "normal" matters greatly to the ESFJ.
Anyone else get the urge to punch throats when he posts?
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
tornado screwed me up for the past week. so all I want to know is, did scott ever post the picture of his color block blazer
ffffuuuu.gif

That's some fashunz dedication. Tip of the hat to you.

Originally Posted by g transistor
Also I've been looking at bracelets a lot lately and I really want some. Where can I get some neat ones? LN-CC has a bunch that I really like (Hobo, Nonnative, Mr. Olive) any others out there?beads, cord, leather, whatever, kinda interested in looking at everything
Despite the terrible name, I'm a fan of Vim Beget. If you check the Blackbird blog I think they have more items that sold out just so you get more of the brand.

Yahoo Japan turns up some really interesting accessories for the popular brands (especially Japanese) that never seem to make it to the US so I suggest searching under the correct-ish Japanese name. You can get brand YJP pages by clicking on an item you know is a brand (e.g. Undercover), translating the auction page, then going to the top of the page and seeing the page breakdown which is something like "Auctions --> Clothing --> Mens Clothing --> Undercover." Click the brand name and on the left side toolbar you should see the regular ebay style breakdown of item categories. Unfortunately "Other" is the most populated of all, but removing the categories you don't need helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads