• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
I find that on the few English made shoes I have (JLP and Peal), the leather at the laces comes completely together, one side touches the other, when laced. This prevents the laces from pulling the shoe tighter around one's foot. It also makes the shoe look more "put together" in a sense, the tongue is almost completely hidden, etc. But it does also seem to eliminate the wearer's ability to wear the shoe tighter than a point predetermined by the guy who cut the leather in the first place. American shoes never seem to be cut this way.
Is this just "the way it is" with English made shoes? Does this apply to all English shoes? As a person with somewhat narrower feet than the average bear, it has kept me away from buying English shoes, on occaision, especially as they are so seldom offered in widths, just like sneakers at Wal-Mart.
Anyone else noticed this or found it to be a problem for them?

This is not limited to English-made shoes. My AE Soho's are like this, and to a lesser extent another pair of AE bals. I think it speaks to the need to get the width just right. All my AE's are D width, and my foot is definitely on the very narrow end of D, if not really a C.

I'm off for a field trip to BB in Chestnut Hill Mass. to see what they have and how I can part myself from my money.

Spiral Stairs

Reaction score
Since my sense of aesthetics is so out-of-whack that I actually bought these shoes, perhaps I'll give them a cream treatment to see what happens. If I like the results, then you know it didn't work.

Originally Posted by chorse123
Interesting idea. They could end up looking fantastic, or even uglier.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spiral Stairs
Since my sense of aesthetics is so out-of-whack that I actually bought these shoes, perhaps I'll give them a cream treatment to see what happens. If I like the results, then you know it didn't work.

I think they're an ideal candidate for a diy dyeing/antiquing project.

bigskydream

Reaction score
Just got my first Peal shoes (made in England). Just curious, can anyone tell who makes this shoe?

DSC_5053.jpg

DSC_5047.jpg

DSC_5050.jpg

stylemaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigskydream
Just got my first Peal shoes (made in England). Just curious, can anyone tell who makes this shoe?

C&J - good shoe!

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The C&J Peals have a single row of nails on the heel while the AS Peals have a double row. Also, the C&Js have a three digit last number (like the British tan wingtip derbies above, i.e. the "240" inside the shoe).

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Does anyone know who makes the Peal & Co perforated captoe, and can anyone attest to their quality?

Peal-Co-Perforated-Cap-Toe-Oxfords-01-247x300.jpg

Having bought some Peal loafers which although nice could have been bought for less directly from Loake, I want to make sure before pulling the trigger.

As far as I know, Loake doesn't make Peal shoes.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Does anyone know who makes the Peal & Co perforated captoe, and can anyone attest to their quality?

Peal-Co-Perforated-Cap-Toe-Oxfords-01-247x300.jpg

Having bought some Peal loafers which although nice could have been bought for less directly from Loake, I want to make sure before pulling the trigger.

C&J, 240 last. Have a pair, like them. Run a bit narrow, went up a half size on my foot. Good quality, channeled soles. From what I understand, they are somewhere between C&J bench grade and C&J main in quality, ie better then main, not quite as good as hand.

vncrz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
As far as I know, Loake doesn't make Peal shoes.

The "lightweight" Peals are made by Loake. At least I'm 99% sure for my loafers: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

Originally Posted by Archivist
C&J, 240 last. Have a pair, like them. Run a bit narrow, went up a half size on my foot. Good quality, channeled soles. From what I understand, they are somewhere between C&J bench grade and C&J main in quality, ie better then main, not quite as good as hand.

Thanks, sounds like a good deal at $366 starting tomorrow with the 25% off sale.

nringo

Reaction score
I have those in brown and they're some of my favorite shoes. Great quality leather, very well made.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought these were Alfred Sargent. At least I am pretty sure the ones I have are.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I thought these were Alfred Sargent. At least I am pretty sure the ones I have are.

Perf. captoes are CJ made,100%. They are on 240 last.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, dumb question, do Peal and Co. shoes fit on average narrower than the Aldens and the AE for BB offerings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads