• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Appreciation Thread

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
death-valley-from-dante-point-angela-a-stanton.jpg

Eric-Moore-Death-Valley.jpg

3418464252_859c47a3e8.jpg

4914196-Devils_Golf_Course-Death_Valley_National_Park.png

Zabriskie_Point_at_sunrise_in_Death_Valley_NP.JPG

death-valley-sand-dunes-johan-elzenga.jpg

2089765391_80d118a2f5.jpg

286_deathvalley_racetrack.jpg

death-valley-kilns_2065_600x450.jpg

the-red-cathedral-john-dreyer.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in Palm Springs for a wedding this weekend. My appreciation quotient is currently low.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
No questions, only answers

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with McCall's. I've gotten some good stuff there but it's really freaking expensive.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I have a love/hate relationship with McCall's. I've gotten some good stuff there but it's really freaking expensive.

No ****, some of those prices are eye-poppingly high.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
No kidding, but I've never regretted the money I've spent. I try to do as little as possible to most of what I buy from them, and justify the price by factoring in the quality of the cuts and the knife work. There's no waste, nothing extra. Bone, fat, skin, everything you buy is intended to be there. I do have a raw ingredient thread to maintain after all. That said, I rarely buy fish, eggs, or chicken there. Only if I miss the Farmer's Market or have a hankering for branzino.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Isee those prices and I'm like 'pfft, typical bad boy ****'

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought a pork roast there to feed 4, and it cost me $56.
ffffuuuu.gif
It was really ******* good, but sheeeeeeeiiiiiit [/clay davis]. I'd love to have a place to go on a daily basis - I hate treating my butcher like a special occasion destination. Actually, I buy a lot of beef from the Mexican markets - dirt cheap skirt steak ftw.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I buy heavy roasts and odd cuts at Jons, down the street. Every time I see half a pig's head sitting there I toy with the idea of bringing it home, but don't want to be single again.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those prices are what I pay to high end butchers in NY, more or less.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Germans are so obsessed with Death Valley? Every time I go there are a ton of German tourists. Werner Herzog goes on about it being the most amazing place on Earth in several interviews. He's right of course, but how does he/they know that?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, those aren't out of line for that kind of product. and remember that the next time you're complaining about feed lots. if you want stuff that's conscientiously raised, it's going to cost more. me, i'm usually at the mexican market paying $1.99 a pound for pork shoulder. but at least i don't pretend.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Does anyone know why Germans are so obsessed with Death Valley? Every time I go there are a ton of German tourists. Werner Herzog goes on about it being the most amazing place on Earth in several interviews. He's right of course, but how does he/they know that?

i've noticed that, too. no answer for that specifically, but Germans in general have a real fascination for the American west, almost mythological. i had a neighbor who was an immigrant and he said when he was growing up in germany, he had whole shelves of books his father bought him about the West.
The funniest thing is seeing them in downtown la. it used to be, before downtown cleaned up, that you would see little clumps of them, families, in some of the absolute worst areas (blade runner is like mr. rogers), looking frantically at their guide books. "WTF?" or whatever the german translation would be.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ze Germanz also lieb der Grand Canyon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ze Germanz also lieb der Grand Canyon.
Also orange socks, but that is a bit off topic. Meat prices look normal on the high end stuff, and high on the more rustic cuts, compared to what I see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads