• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoats and others

crazey

Reaction score
Guys,

I am trying to get s bespoke overcoat done at some point in the next few months and am doing a bit of research for that. I was wondering if a 15.5 - 16 oz 100% wool flannel would be a good fabric to go for? I was ideally looking to buy a 17 oz Prince of Wales check, but couldn't find anything in that weight online (except for the 16 oz one).

On that note, I was wondering if you know of any places in London which sells fabrics and where there is a good selection of cloth of choose from? Or maybe online? Also, has anyone been to Franco Santoro on Kingly Street for bespoke? Any feedback on him?

Thanks!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A 16oz. flannel is way too light for an overcoat. And I wouldn't choose a flannel cloth either.

Get something in the 20oz.-22oz. range. I would recommend a solid navy blue or dark grey instead of a POW.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
A 16oz. flannel is way too light for an overcoat. And I wouldn't choose a flannel cloth either.

Get something in the 20oz.-22oz. range. I would recommend a solid navy blue or dark grey instead of a POW.

+1 16oz is a nice winter suit weight, but certainly not an overcoat. Also, stick with a dark solid for a first bespoke overcoat.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

I don't know if it's still available but 32 oz worked well when I lived in Chicago.
I had a British Warm from Chipp (I) and an Invertere greatcoat in grey melton.
When it warmed up to 30 F, I wore a wool and cashmere balmacan.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazey
Anyone know where to buy 18-20 oz PoW check?

laugh.gif
I love how you simply disregarded the great advice you've gotten so far.

POW is an awful choice for your bespoke overcoat. And 18oz. is not going to cut it - that's covert coat weight.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
22 oz minimum. Unless you're in the bahamas, then by all means 18 oz. And if want to do somethng different for an overcoat, maybe distinguish it with style and not fabric. If it's your first coat you're going to want something versatile. If you really want to go brown PoW might I suggest.... http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...cjkvo1_500.jpg It's the one in the middle.

Reaction score
Dark grey, dark blue or black would be a good choice for your first overcoat. Also, some % of cashmere would be nice.
You don't need a 100% cashmere overcoat, there are quality wool fabrics with 30% cashmere. Regarding the fabric weight, 22 to 28 oz should be enough.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, get what you want. If it's your first overcoat in general, absolutely get the solid. But I'm presuming you have overcoats, just not bespoke ones.

And wouldn't the tailor you go to be able to find the fabric for you? As in, isn't that part of their job?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delavegatailors
Dark grey, dark blue or black would be a good choice for your first overcoat. Also, some % of cashmere would be nice. You don't need a 100% cashmere overcoat, there are quality wool fabrics with 30% cashmere. Regarding the fabric weight, 22 to 28 oz should be enough.
+1, I bought a wool-cashmere blend (I think ~10% cashmere?), in very dark blue (almost looks black!), for £50! Second hand, of course, but Baker Street! Needs a dry-clean, and need to sew up a hole in the pocket, but you can get great deals on eBay (as a side-note, I know you want bespoke)!
And wouldn't the tailor you go to be able to find the fabric for you? As in, isn't that part of their job?
That's a bingo!

yoshii

Reaction score
Agree that a solid navy/grey would be boring, personally i reckon the pow would look nicer.
But you're the one that'll be wearing it, so you may as well get something you want.
No point listening to the advice here when its not what you really like/want in the end (as in don't base your final choice off everything said here)

crazey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Grad Scooler: where did you get those pics from? All those overcoats looks pretty good to me.

I do have overcoats (black), not bespoke ones though. The tailor I was thinking of going to was one of the cheaper ones, so fabric choice would be quite limited. Cad and the Dandy was an option as well, but going by their website, I don't think they have a wide range to choose from for overcoats.

Thanks for the help with the weights. I wasn't exactly sure of the weights for overcoats....

LaymanX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
22 oz minimum. Unless you're in the bahamas, then by all means 18 oz. And if want to do somethng different for an overcoat, maybe distinguish it with style and not fabric. If it's your first coat you're going to want something versatile.

If you really want to go brown PoW might I suggest....

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...cjkvo1_500.jpg

It's the one in the middle.

This is the second time I've seen this photo posted on SF.. where's it from? Because I'm seriously
bounce2.gif
about that middle one...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads