• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waistcoat with navy blue suit?

qwertyqwerty

Reaction score
Hi all i have bought a navy blue suit, and I would like to waear a waistcoat with it, I have tried finding a navy blue waistcoat, but I can't seem to get an exact match, are there any other coloured wasitcoats that wouldn't look out of place with a navy suit?

Thanks,

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey, or cream/off white for the adventuresome.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waist coats should be bought as part of a three piece suit.

For business you will not get a satisfactory match that will not look what it is - an odd waist coat so don't try. For pleasure you might get away with a camel coloured or paisley one.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Don't try to buy a navy blue waistcoat trying to match the suit. You will fail and look odd.
2) If you wear the coat for business and you are in a industry with more or less traditional dress code, then don't wear the suit with a contrast colored waistcoat
3) For non-business use of the suit, there a plenty of waistcoat colors which work with a navy suit: grey, cream, pale yellow should work...depends on how adventurous you are

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Waist coats should be bought as part of a three piece suit.
True but if it's not available......
or paisley one.
Pimptastic. No paisley please unless you're Bill Shatner.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have belt loops get rid of them and have buttons put on your trousers for braces. Waistcoasts look stupid with belted trousers.

mjphillips

Reaction score
Tattersall could work, but not in a conservative office.

snapshot20090901002605.bmp

Of if you're truly adventurous...

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ult_color=Blue

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
The odds that you will find a vest in the same fabric are vanishingly small. I think yachtie's suggestions are good. Buff would give it a slightly more countryish and informal look than cream, especially if it were close to tan, which I think is what GBR has in mind. Plus, it's a nice nod to the colors of the US War of Independence, if you like that sort of thing. The first image has more of a buff-tan, while the attachment is more buff-yellow.
2004-1.jpg

Forum member Orgetorix wore a grayish cream odd vest to work. To my eye, it looked good and not too much:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1209

Chris Smith

Reaction score
I am in a similiar position to the original postee. If you were to wear a grey/cream/buff coloured waistcoat do you think a white shirt would work? Thanks.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dear quertyquerty,

If you care what other people think about you because of what you wear, you must follow such advice as in previous posts. As far as beautiful waistcoats go, I have no financial stake nor am I related to anybody when I recommend any waistcoat made by Favourbrook you can get enthused about. Favourbriok clains the waistcoats are nade in London. I have the impressiob purchase of a Favourbrook waistcoat does not support exploitation, but you must checj that by your own ibquiry - don't believe me, Your nav colored suit would be enhanced by any Favourbrook waistcoat YOU like.

Manners

Reaction score
Would a medium to dark brown waistcoat go well together with a navy blue suit too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics