• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Routine (19 lean pounds added in 3.5 months)

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This routine, designed by the owners of my gym, has worked wonders for me. It's nothing complex, and I'm sure most people here are plenty capable of making a good routine, but I thought I would share it for those of you that are interested. Starting today, I switched to a new routine that's similar, but more complex (I can post if anyone is interested). Either way, this routine has really exceeded my expectations and has not only yielded significant size gains, but I've seen tremendous strength gains as well. Note: when it says Press or Bench Press, that means that you would alternate between each. So, if you did Overhead Press this Monday, next Monday you would perform Bench Press. Anytime you see "or", that means it alternates every week. In addition to this workout, on wed & fri I perform a strength-based met-con/cardio workout that usually lasts 12-20 very intense minutes. Monday - Heavy Back Squat ----- 5 x 5 ----- 3 Minutes Rest Press or Bench Press ---- 5 x 5 ---- 3 Minutes Rest Deadlift ------ 1 x 5 Delt SuperSet (see below) ----- 3 x 8-12 ----- 2 Minutes Rest Upright Row & Side Lateral Raise or Rear Delt Lateral & DB Shrug Grip Work (usually farmer's walk) Wednesday - Light/Recovery Back Squat\t-----\t 2 x 5\t-----\t 2 Minutes Rest Press or Bench Press ----- 3 x 5\t-----\t 2 Minutes Rest Chin-Ups\t-----\t 3 x F\t-----\t 3 Minutes Rest GH Raises\t\t----- 3 x 10\t\t----- 90 Seconds Rest Bicep Curl or Drop Set ----- 2 x Drop\t-----\t2 Minutes Rest Overhead DB Sit-Ups -----\t 5 x 5\t-----\t 60 Seconds Rest Friday - Light/Higher Rep Power Clean\t-----\t 5 x 3\t-----\t 90 Seconds Rest Bench Press or Press ----- 3 x 8-12\t-----\t60-90 Seconds Rest Back Squat\t-----\t 3 x 8-12\t-----\t60-90 Seconds Rest Tricep Work (3 sets, your choice) ----- 2 Minutes Rest Leg Raise or L-Sit\t\t-----\t\t 90 Seconds Rest *On Friday where you see "8-12", alternate between 8,10, and 12 every week. This Monday aim for 8, next Monday for 10, and the final Monday for 12 (adjust weight as needed).

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
THanks for posting this! Looks like you are aiming for the high-intensity, minimum rest workout(s) that are really effective. I keep hearing about this 'after-burn effect' Keep it coming!!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
THanks for posting this! Looks like you are aiming for the high-intensity, minimum rest workout(s) that are really effective. I keep hearing about this 'after-burn effect' Keep it coming!!

No problem. The minimum rest is primarily on Friday. 3 minutes of rest between each set on Monday. I'm not sure what the "after-burn effect" is...

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
(19 lean pounds added in 3.5 months)

no

even if you have arnold genetics and are juicing i highly doubt you would gain 19lbs of lean mass in under 4 months.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
no

even if you have arnold genetics and are juicing i highly doubt you would gain 19lbs of lean mass in under 4 months.

Yeah...seems rather suspect. I'd like to see the meal plan. It would take some pretty intensive, very structured eating to get those results...

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no

Depending on what his starting lifts were at, I'll buy it. I don't think he's claiming he put on zero fat. Gain 2 pounds a week, 50% of which is lean, and you're right where suited is.

Did you start this program relatively untrained, suited?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no even if you have arnold genetics and are juicing i highly doubt you would gain 19lbs of lean mass in under 4 months.
I took measurements before and after. I added 1/2" to my waist, and that's primarily where I store most of my fat. I have a long posting history here and wouldn't start a thread with anything remotely dishonest in it, especially something that I take seriously. Also, Rambo can attest to my gains, as he had seen me around the time I began this program, and recently, after I had added most of the weight. I'm not juicing, and I'm actually not using any supplements at all, unless you consider protein powder a supplement.
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Depending on what his starting lifts were at, I'll buy it. I don't think he's claiming he put on zero fat. Gain 2 pounds a week, 50% of which is lean, and you're right where suited is. Did you start this program relatively untrained, suited?
Yes and no. I've been training for about a decade, but over the last 3-4 years my training is not what it used to be. I've been larger and much stronger than I am now (naturally, and when I was juicing for a short period, which I've been upfront about on this board several times). It should be mentioned that 19 lean pounds, of course, does not imply that I added zero fat.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a modified Starting Strength programs with some useless stuff thrown in.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
It's a modified Starting Strength programs with some useless stuff thrown in.

That's the right implication, and it should be echoed. The point being that gimmicks don't work, and heavy compound lifts do. There's a continual discussion among people first staring out that seems to imply some secret or magical program that needs to be followed in order to achieve great gains.

While my new program is more complex, I sincerely doubt that I could have done much better over the last few months - so simple may be better.

Originally Posted by Rambo
I'll vouch for him. Its been a few months since I saw him and I was shocked, frankly. First question I asked him was what he was on.

I appreciate that. My arms are still smaller than yours, though - wanna trade?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Depending on what his starting lifts were at, I'll buy it. I don't think he's claiming he put on zero fat. Gain 2 pounds a week, 50% of which is lean, and you're right where suited is.

Did you start this program relatively untrained, suited?

Agreed- and depends on how old the poster is, genetics etc. Optimally, this is within reason.

Nice work, suited.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Agreed- and depends on how old the poster is, genetics etc. Optimally, this is within reason. Nice work, suited.
Thanks. I'd say my genetics are decent, but far from great. I was never a good athlete in school, and I was very skinny up until the age of 22. I didn't know how to eat properly when I was training from 18-21, and my training wasn't very good then either. Obviously, diet played a huge role here. I've been eating like crazy, and avoiding cheat foods as much as possible. I don't drink anything other than milk and water - unless I'm having drinks, which has been a rare occurrence as of late. I don't eat any junk food. My cheat meals consist of chips at my favorite mexican restaurant, which has no doubt made great contributions to my calorie intake. I've had some not-so-great carb sources on occasion - but for the most part I try to stay pretty clean. The gains came as a bit of a shock to me as well. I had a consultation with the owner before I joined and told him that I'd like to hit this weight eventually, but wasn't sure how long it was going to take. I didn't think it would happen this fast. I'm not sure how much the met-con contributed to my gains, but it certainly didn't hurt. This includes pushing the sled, kettlebells, wall-balls, push presses, running intervals, rowing, etc - so keep in mind that the program isn't quite as simple as it looks because I haven't outlined any of those workouts.

bdbb

Reaction score
Did you gain 19lbs from a relatively untrained state or were you at intermediate?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdbb
Did you gain 19lbs from a relatively untrained state or were you at intermediate?
Not untrained, but my training had fallen off for a while (see above where I mentioned this). Even though I was working out before I had started this program, I hadn't trained in a serious manner in several years. I'd say, on average, I was performing a sub-par routine 2 times a week and just coasting along with my diet.

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
Congratulations, your results are really impressive. Could you elaborate on the met-con training - how did you incorporate it into your routine ? Also, anything special about your diet ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads