• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henry Poole vs WW Chan

m063264

Reaction score
I typically get my suits from WW Chan out of Hong Kong and have been very pleased with the results. I am now saving for something very special. I'm deciding between another WW Chan in Zegna 15 mil mil 15 fabric, which will run around $2600, or thinking of getting a Henry Poole from Savile Row in 120s for around $4600. I would appreciate any insights and advice the board may have.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Be a big timer and go with Poole.

LanceW

Reaction score
For me it would depend upon how well the Chan fits. If you feel the Chan has no room for improvement, the extra cost could be wasted if the Poole fits equally as well. If the Poole fit is sublime, all of your Chan garments may seem unwearable. I'm only seeing downsides here
laugh.gif
Maybe have Poole make something you wouldn't wear often such as a dinner jacket.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't really comment on whether to spend the extra money, but I've always thought Chan and Poole had similar stylistic characteristics. So if you do get a Poole suit, I think your wardrobe will still feel harmonious.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I can't really comment on whether to spend the extra money, but I've always thought Chan and Poole had similar stylistic characteristics. So if you do get a Poole suit, I think your wardrobe will still feel harmonious.
Yeah, they're both "structured/militaristic" fits. No drape. You should go on London Lounge if you want expert bespoke opinions.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by that? "Structured/militaristic?" I have heard that the Chan has a definite style and that it's usually slimmer, but I'm not sure what your phrase means (Thanks, I am a small-timer saving up for a jacket from Chan).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
Can you explain what you mean by that? "Structured/militaristic?" I have heard that the Chan has a definite style and that it's usually slimmer, but I'm not sure what your phrase means (Thanks, I am a small-timer saving up for a jacket from Chan).

I am not sure how typical this is of Poole. Compared to Huntsman, it seems downright
pacifist. Nevertheless, wearing this suit makes me think I might be running the British Empire,
which if it still existed, Hong Kong would be a small colony.

http://cobblersweb.style.coocan.jp/h...e03/poole.html

gwolf

Reaction score
poole, no doubt even just for the experience and history behind the firm. there are quite a few that do the poole silhouette if i'm not mistaken. benson and clegg iirc. but the ones i see from poole lately didn't look typical saville row, which is prob a good thing but i used to like the typical 2b very much. i'm sure someone with more expertise can spot a hp suit though.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Chan and Poole are quite similar in style as some here seem to think, I'd be inclined to stick with Chan as I imagine they have nailed down your pattern. You'd essentially be starting from scratch with Poole and the first suit could be very nice, but not fit as well as your Chans which may lead to disappoint.

If you want to do something special why not try a tailor who uses a different style such as Edwin DeBoise of Steed? While he is focused on the drape cut he can certainly make it a bit leaner in style if that's your preference. Plus he's also less expensive than Poole and (from what I've read) offers a more personalized service than the bigger name houses on Savile Row.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
If Chan and Poole are quite similar in style as some here seem to think, I'd be inclined to stick with Chan as I imagine they have nailed down your pattern. You'd essentially be starting from scratch with Poole and the first suit could be very nice, but not fit as well as your Chans which may lead to disappoint.

If you want to do something special why not try a tailor who uses a different style such as Edwin DeBoise of Steed? While he is focused on the drape cut he can certainly make it a bit leaner in style if that's your preference. Plus he's also less expensive than Poole and (from what I've read) offers a more personalized service than the bigger name houses on Savile Row.

+1

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who you choose depends on what "something special" means to you. Do you want different styling or better construction to make it something special?

Would it be worth 2g if was only 15% better than Chan?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garments that look alike are not all made the same when look alikes are from different companies. The Poole coat would be very different I would think. And the interlinings they use would be different too. Their methods of cutting and fitting would be different. The feel of the coat would be different. Going to Edwin DeBoise of Steed for a leaner style than their norm when Poole already makes the style you may want doesn't make since. If you really want to got to Edwin DeBoise of Steed for a leaner style than their norm that is a different argument, so a good reason to go to them. But that would open the arguements for all other tailors. Poole is lots more money up front, but you may get your moneys worth of wear out of it. So, then it would not be as expensive. Maybe cheaper than Chan's per-wear. All you can do is give it a try and wear Pooles for a couple of year or more and then compare. I wouldn't judge a first coat to hard. But, you might notice a difference right off that you like more of one or the other. Some futures are add ons that either can do.

m063264

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your advice. This is a big decision for me as it will take multiple months for me to save up enough for either suit.

The suits I've gotten from WW Chan in the past have been under $1500 and I've loved each. I am getting ready for business school interviews this fall (MBA) and want to be at my best. Getting a suit a step above everything else I have will add a spring to my step.

To me, the decision is between the best tailor in Hong Kong and one of the best tailors in the world. 15milmil15 is equivalent to 150's. My suit made of Zegna Trofeo (130s equivalent) is far and away nicer than my suits made of similar fabric from Scabal and Loro. I imagine that 15milmil15 will feel like a cloud. On the other hand, the finer the thread, the quicker it will wear out. While Poole's fabric may not be as soft to the touch as Chan's Zegna, I imagine their workmanship will be a step above.

It is a tough choice between a suit made of premium fabric that may have limited longevity and a suit made by the premier craftsman at an extra $2000.

level32

Reaction score
Since you have your fit nailed with Chan, just go Chan and perhaps a new pair of shoes. After you ace your interviews and start working again, take your time to build up a nice relationship with your savile row choice.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
Since you have your fit nailed with Chan, just go Chan and perhaps a new pair of shoes. After you ace your interviews and start working again, take your time to build up a nice relationship with your savile row choice.

I agree sir. Use that 2Gs for a nice pair of shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads