• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NO PURCHASE Club for MAY 2011

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the Official NO PURCHASE Club for MAY 2011 Have you played along with us before? Will this be your first time? Are you out of control with your clothing spending? Do you need help to keep strong? This is the place for you! Discover the powers of self-restraint you never knew you had. Join with us now, and gain strength from the sharing. PART A It's simple, you agree to buy absolutely nothing clothing related for yourself, for the entire month. You may give yourself an emergency allowance of only $100. This is strictly for emergency purposes (a sudden funeral, birthday invite, etc) Otherwise, you are to spend nothing. No emergencies? No spending! Should an emergency arise, you need not report it, but stay within the guidelines where possible. Exceptions: You may receive a clothing-related gift as long as you did not encourage or instigate spending. You may use any gift certificate or credit note only if it expires during this month. If using a credit or gift certificate, you must stay under the $100 emergency allowance beyond that. You may trade items here on B&S or elsewhere but you are not to spend. PART B Perform at least one of the three suggestions. (Kudos if you can do more than one!): 1) Do your spring cleaning. Store away the winter gear (if you haven't already done so) 2) Make repairs where needed (sewing buttons, hemming pants, polishing shoes, etc) 3) Go through your clothes. If you haven't worn it in a year or more, donate, sell or trade it. PART C Lastly, you will make this vow to yourselves: You must take one of the most coveted of your things, whether this is your favourite shoes, suit, briefcase, shirt, watch or whatever, and you are NOT to wear it or use it for this entire month. This is a willing act of self-sacrifice. You may look at it. You may touch it. You may even talk to it, but you are not to use it. The reason for this vow, is as follows: We who join this club acknowledge our sickness in over-spending. We have lost our way. We have found ourselves thrilled at only the latest purchase and forget to truly enjoy what we already have. So for this month we will deny ourselves that which we most covet, so that, at the end of this month when we may wear or use it again, we will re-live the magic and enjoyment that once was when we first bought it. Please state which item you will not use when signing up. PART D Any spending (beyond the $100 emergency allowance) must be fairly reported and confessed to. You must list your infidelities. You are not allowed to 'quit' this club once signed up, no matter how weak you get. Once signed, you must stick with it, reporting weakness along the way. At the end of the month, you can see how well or poorly you did. Use this thread for strength. If you feel weak, post the desire. We are here to help one another. The cut-off date for joining will be midnight Thursday May 04, 2011 I would like to once again encourage everyone to give this challenge a try. Those of you who are not yet members of Styleforum are encouraged to join with us! Play officially or play the home game, but lets give this our best try. Ready to suffer and strengthen?
tounge.gif
Sign-up begins now... I'll start.. I'll select not one but two items that I won't use for this month, both bought last year: -Allen Edmonds Bel Air in burnished walnut calf (still new in box) -Allen Edmonds Mora in dark brown calf (still new in box)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is crazy serious. Maybe some of you guys need a different hobby.

Kslim

Reaction score
Wow I think the new rules are too much for me. I'm gonna skip this month. See you guys for June's NPC!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the same rules as before with only one addition...not wearing your most favourite thing for the month.
I have held strong since the beginning of the year but am seriously weakening. Must try...must..

scooby-doo

Reaction score
Uhh, I already bought a suit yesterday since I was holding off the purchase in April. May I still join in for the rest of the month or would I be automatically in the doghouse?
shog[1].gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scooby, the cut-off date for joining will be midnight Thursday May 04, 2011 so you're ok.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No mention of paying for alterations? I have about $100 worth of alterations to pick up on Friday so does that disqualify me?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
No mention of paying for alterations? I have about $100 worth of alterations to pick up on Friday so does that disqualify me?
Well it's your money but if you can convince yourself that these are emergency alterations, we'd have to let you enjoy a little mutiny. Try not to go over $100.
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
After 2 months in the NPC, I need to take a break for this month. Good luck to all signing up for May!
Beatlegeuse I congratulate you on 2 strong months, well done. Join us for May anyway. Better to be in the dog house trying, yes?

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in
this will be my reason for not buying the Tom Ford suit or the Dior Jeans that I saw

I'm going to give up my Harris Tweed for the month

funkdoobi

Reaction score
I'm in.

I just got a new pair of shoes. I think I can hold out a month until i need something else. Trying to figure out what my favourite item is. Was about to say my watch, but I don't even wear it everyday. Will have to think about that!

LanceW

Reaction score
I'm in for the month of May. MyTailor will return in June so this will help me save up anyway
laugh.gif

As I do not have an extensive wardrobe and need the things I love, I will be giving up Creed's Green Irish Tweed for the month.

Wayfarer89

Reaction score
I'm in too. With student loans, it's not making much sense to spend more money on new clothes that I have no room for.

I'm not going to use my Filson briefcase.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Beatlegeuse I congratulate you on 2 strong months, well done. Join us for May anyway. Better to be in the dog house trying, yes?

Well when you put it that way...alright I'm in again! Maybe I'll get lucky and I won't actually buy anything again. But I think there's at least a 90% I'll be in the dog house this time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads