• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Red Line Sale & Fit

basseq

Reaction score
Heads up that Thin Red Line is having a(nother) sale: £14.99/$25 each, which seems like a reasonable deal given the previous reviews here: decent fabric, decent construction.

Most previous complaints have been about "blousiness," which it seems they've addressed in their slim cut. However, I noted the following on their intro page for the slim fit shirts: "Shorter tails allowing the shirt to be worn untucked if worn more casually." This is a death knell for me"”I like my tails long and tucked in. Anyone have any experience with it?

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by basseq
Heads up that Thin Red Line is having a(nother) sale: £14.99/$25 each, which seems like a reasonable deal given the previous reviews here: decent fabric, decent construction.

Most previous complaints have been about "blousiness," which it seems they've addressed in their slim cut. However, I noted the following on their intro page for the slim fit shirts: "Shorter tails allowing the shirt to be worn untucked if worn more casually." This is a death knell for me"”I like my tails long and tucked in. Anyone have any experience with it?

Slim fit 16.5's have a 50 inch chest and 45 inch waist
cry.gif
uhoh.gif

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw these, but their patterns are limited and atrocious. Don't need any more solid shirts.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the fabric quality? I would only be ordering one or two, and I'd have to get them tailored at $10 each and the shipping is $30. That's 2/$100 shipped. Not such a great deal if the fabric is medicore, considering the fact that I don't have to tailor CT slim fits and Brooks's friends and family starts this week.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a few, slim fits, and I'm quite pleased by them. The material is rather nice (poplins aren't especially luxurious but the others are better) and I haven't had any trouble with construction.

I'm not typically "slim" in the SF sense: 17" neck, 44" chest, 34" waist. They fit me very nicely, perhaps my best fitting shirts. I wouldn't have guessed it from the measurements, but the cut works great for me. I haven't sent them through the wash yet, so we'll see about shrinkage. I have not had any issue with the shorter tails, they stay tucked in just fine. Their normal fit shirts have incredibly long tails, so not an issue here really.

I probably wouldn't recommend them to the slim=skinny types, although I don't know how the smaller sizes fit.

Last year they had a line of OCBDs in traditional American patterns. I picked up two, and have been kicking myself for not getting the full line. Really excellent stuff, my favorite OCBDs. I've emailed them asking to bring them back, but not much demand from within the UK apparently.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
I got a few, slim fits, and I'm quite pleased by them. The material is rather nice (poplins aren't especially luxurious but the others are better) and I haven't had any trouble with construction.

I'm not typically "slim" in the SF sense: 17" neck, 44" chest, 34" waist. They fit me very nicely, perhaps my best fitting shirts. I wouldn't have guessed it from the measurements, but the cut works great for me. I haven't sent them through the wash yet, so we'll see about shrinkage. I have not had any issue with the shorter tails, they stay tucked in just fine. Their normal fit shirts have incredibly long tails, so not an issue here really.

I probably wouldn't recommend them to the slim=skinny types, although I don't know how the smaller sizes fit.

Last year they had a line of OCBDs in traditional American patterns. I picked up two, and have been kicking myself for not getting the full line. Really excellent stuff, my favorite OCBDs. I've emailed them asking to bring them back, but not much demand from within the UK apparently.

Have you tried BB ESF?I am close to your measurements with a little bigger chest/waist and ESF works pretty well for me. Would love to hear if you can compare
smile.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Have you tried BB ESF?I am close to your measurements with a little bigger chest/waist and ESF works pretty well for me. Would love to hear if you can compare
smile.gif

I have not, the BB ESF are usually more than I want to spend on a shirt. I have mostly TM Lewin slim fits, some of their John Francomb slims (which are closer fitting), some BB slim, and then various others. The TML stuff is good but variable, weird shrinking issues.

I was considering getting some MTM stuff done, went through my closet to find my most-worn and best fitting shirt, and realized it was a Thin Red Line oxford. Not even a numbered size, just "XL", and it was damn near perfect. So I figured I'd buy more TRL stuff and I don't regret it at all. Now they've changed the measurements on everything, but the 17" neck sized shirts are spot on. Too bad they don't have more patterns.

basseq

Reaction score
It's probably worth noting that "slim fit" in this sense means "trimmer" rather than "Milan Runway". Considering the number of 28"W trousers around here, it might be more fabric than some of you want. Probably similar to the BB SF, which I like—especially the long tails: I think they're one of the few shirts I own that actually stays tucked in no matter what.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads