• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help gladhands pick out a whipped wagon

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife just had our first child and will be moving from Boston to Pittsburgh, so it's time to add a second car. We're looking for a wagonish vehicle with awd or 4wd to deal with the hills and snow in our new city. I'm not interested in an SUV.

Right now my wife and I are considerign the Honda Crosstour and Audi A3. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First: Congratulations!

You might consider the Subarus as they offer good value in that sort of vehicle. I considered them recently. If you're looking at Audis, you might also consider BMW, though I think a 3-series wagon is a few steps up in price over the A3. Be aware the A3 is not all that huge, though it's a nice vehicle. The 3-series wagon is fantastic but they are hard as hell to find.

Overall, I still think Subaru is a good place to start.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
does it have to be brand new? You can often get good deals on some great wagons if they're used, and when I say used, I mean in hunter green over tan, driven by old rich people who did service at the dealers. I'd rather buy a mildly used 535XiT than get either of the two you mentioned.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

You might consider the Subarus as they offer good value in that sort of vehicle. I considered them recently. If you're looking at Audis, you might also consider BMW, though I think a 3-series wagon is a few steps up in price over the A3. Be aware the A3 is not all that huge, though it's a nice vehicle. The 3-series wagon is fantastic but they are hard as hell to find.

Is the 3-series wagon available in AWD?

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
does it have to be brand new? You can often get good deals on some great wagons if they're used, and when I say used, I mean in hunter green over tan, driven by old rich people who did service at the dealers. I'd rather buy a mildly used 535XiT than get either of the two you mentioned.

I'm willing to go used. She is not. You pick your battles, and this is not one I felt like fighting.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Is the 3-series wagon available in AWD?

They make it for sure, but as I said they're hard as hell to find. You might have to order it, which means long waits and full boat list.

Bradden

Reaction score
Congrats !

Look at the Ford Edge, the newer ones are better on gas, they also have a generous back seat to fit the car seat plus all the other baby necessities. They are also rather quiet.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To throw something out there that hasn't been mentioned, how about the Jetta TDI SportWagen?

edit - crap, not 4WD/AWD.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just my opinion but you'll want to get something as roomy as possible relative to wheelbase. Nixing SUVs limits your choice at that point. Check out Volvo.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Right, god forbid someone buy proper snow tires. My wife drove our Blizzak-shod Odyssey like f'ing Juha Kankkunen this winter around dopes in useless SUVs on no-season tires. Tires. They're where it's at.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
To throw something out there that hasn't been mentioned, how about the Jetta TDI SportWagen?

This would have won if it came in AWD. The TDI option is part of what drew us to the A3.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Right, god forbid someone buy proper snow tires. My wife drove our Blizzak-shod Odyssey like f'ing Juha Kankkunen this winter around dopes in useless SUVs on no-season tires.

Tires. They're where it's at.

x2 Love seeing big trucks and SUVs in the ditches as I go right on past with my little fwd hatchback.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

+1 LOVE and recommend Subarus.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Right, god forbid someone buy proper snow tires. My wife drove our Blizzak-shod Odyssey like f'ing Juha Kankkunen this winter around dopes in useless SUVs on no-season tires.

Tires. They're where it's at.

You're preaching to the choir; I buy snow tires for all my vehicles. Just going by the requirements listed in the OP.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Rotate seasonally, with each set on a spare set of rims. I put my snows on Dec. 1 and pull them off March 18. Just mark them with chalk when you pull them off (RF, LF, RR, LR) so you know which is which (and can rotate as appropriate). If you have them on a spare set of rims and a floor jack, it's a 15-minute job.

If you haven't driven a front wheel-drive car with real snow tires, you're in for a treat. So long as what you're driving on can reasonably be described as a "road," you'll have no trouble. The safety and control increase is tremendous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads