• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Crispin vs Vass

ShaneB

Reaction score
Just been informed that a shoe from Saint Crispin would set me back about £860,

Conversely a shoe from Vass would set me back about £420,

I was surprised about how much the Saint Crispin shoes are; is there a noticeable difference in quality / construction? I'm guessing from all the praise that the difference is nominal (if at all existent)? I think I'll probably stick with Vass - what are others' opinions?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a good question. I am curious about the differences in quality as well. As far as I know they are both excellent. I think it is important to also note that they are two distinctly different styled shoemakers. Vass comes across as more modern looking to me, and while St. Crispin shoes, imho have better finishing, have a more traditional Austrian shape to their lasts. I could be wrong on all accounts, but I am just speaking in terms of what I have personally seen.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
This is a good question. I am curious about the differences in quality as well. As far as I know they are both excellent. I think it is important to also note that they are two distinctly different styled shoes. Vass comes across as more modern looking to me, and while St. Crispin shoes, imho have better finishing, have a more traditional Austrian shape to their lasts. I could be wrong on all accounts, but I am just speaking in terms of what I have personally seen.

Both look good but Vass has the killer price...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have never owned a pair of St. Crispins, so can't really comment by way of an actual comparison. But it seems hard to believe that the quality could be twice as good as Vass's. Buy the St. Crispins if you vastly prefer their styling and finish, but IMO, it's a personal and subjective choice at that tier.

ShaneB

Reaction score
This is a good question. I am curious about the differences in quality as well. As far as I know they are both excellent. I think it is important to also note that they are two distinctly different styled shoemakers. Vass comes across as more modern looking to me, and while St. Crispin shoes, imho have better finishing, have a more traditional Austrian shape to their lasts. I could be wrong on all accounts, but I am just speaking in terms of what I have personally seen.

Possibly, Patrick, although the Budapester last on Vass shoes seems very 'Austrian'.

To be honest, I was very surprised when Saint Crispin came back to me with their prices - to put it into perspective, I could hop on a train now down to London, pop into Trickers and begin the process of bespoke shoe for just over 1k; the Saint Crispin shoes don't include shoe trees or delivery either - so I'm struggling to see how a made to order shoe could be comparable in terms of price to a bespoke English shoe. Seems a bit outrageous to me.

But as someone else said, is the quality double that of Vass? Or what other reason is there for Saint Crispin to charge such a premium? I think I'll stick with Vass...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vass comes across as more modern looking to me, and while St. Crispin shoes, imho have better finishing, have a more traditional Austrian shape to their lasts. I could be wrong on all accounts,...

not sure, what you've seen.

this is austrian as austrian can be:

Originally Posted by fritzl
Georg Materna

039.jpg

041.jpg

medtech expat and cravate noir have the most experience with saint crispin's, as they dealt with them personally.

i would look up for some advice by these gentlemen.

ps: some maker charges more than another, this is not breaking news.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Granted, Fritzle, but you're talking about 100% price differential. That's not an arbitarray figure.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaneB
Granted, Fritzle, but you're talking about 100% price differential. That's not an arbitarray figure.

sure, but why don't you compare it to EG top drawer or JLP prestige?

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
sure, but why don't you compare it to EG top drawer or JLP prestige?

Well that's what I'm asking: I'm asking why they're priced so high, i.e., is the higher cost indicative of an enormous contrast in quality between Vass & Crispin, if not, then it seems the high price is arbitrary, in which case, why would anyone bother?

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St. Crispin's are what I would call sleeker, more dandified overall in comparison to Vass. Slimmer lasts, slightly more excentric designs (or more noticable design in general) and a bit younger looking. You might call them less timeless but that is totally personal. Vass are less flexible from the beginning because of a very soft construction in the St. Crispin's.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well that's what I'm asking: I'm asking why they're priced so high,...

imo, they are priced according to their target group and market niche. sorry, i cannot follow your concerns.

same, if i would ask why cleverley bespoke is double the price of materna?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just been informed that a shoe from Saint Crispin would set me back about £860

You may wish to email Phillip directly: he offers a 20% discount on the first pair for new customers.

Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
St. Crispin's are what I would call sleeker, more dandified overall in comparison to Vass. Slimmer lasts, slightly more excentric designs (or more noticable design in general) and a bit younger looking.

+1

In addition, I prefer the fit of St. Crispin's, and the hollowed trees are ideal for travel. FWIW, of the 10+ pairs of Vass I've purchased I ended up reselling all but 2 pairs on B&S, due to the significant variability in sizing - even on the same last with the same material. Vass are lovely shoes, but I've given up due to the sizing and consistency issue.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
You may wish to email Phillip directly: he offers a 20% discount on the first pair for new customers.

+1

In addition, I prefer the fit of St. Crispin's, and the hollowed trees are ideal for travel. FWIW, of the 10+ pairs of Vass I've purchased I ended up reselling all but 2 pairs on B&S, due to the significant variability in sizing - even on the same last with the same material. Vass are lovely shoes, but I've given up due to the sizing and consistency issue.

I think this might be an issue with a lot of makers though. I have this issue with C&J.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think St. Crispin are "prettier" overall and have that lovely sole and waist finishing that Vass lack, but I think the price difference if far more significant to me than the quality and styling differences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads