• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Linen Suit

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of solid linen and the way it hangs. I prefer a blend or a light wool.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen is awesome—light-weight, cool, and I like the way it creases! *linen fan-boy
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
No offense, jcmeyer, because I really don't like picking on people (unlike some members! *cough), I think (for a shoe that is similar) you can't go wrong with a beige, Clarks Originals desert boot (or even the new brogue version—for a lower cut—although, they do seem a little dorky!)!
5320461297966_Beige_l1.jpg
Or
clarks-originals-desert-khan-brogue-0.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Linen is awesome"”light-weight, cool and I like the way it creases! *linen fan-boy
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

No offense, jcmeyer, because I really don't like picking on people (unlike some members! *cough), I think (for a shoe that is similar) you can't go wrong with a beige, Clarks Originals desert boot (or even the new brogue version"”for a lower cut"”although, they do seem a little dorky!)!

5320461297966_Beige_l1.jpg

Or

clarks-originals-desert-khan-brogue-0.jpg

The bottom ones are not great either...

We're not picking on him , we're just honest...

Nothing personal in our responses.

I love the top ones but they will stained very quickly.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love my navy linen suit.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar

Yeah, the brogues look a little weird"”wouldn't bother me if I saw someone wearing them, though. Yeah, I know, candid/bluff/whatever.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Here is mine. Borrelli, cotton and linen.
NavySuit.jpg

Very nice POCKET SQUARE guy, but something is missing from this look. Can't quite put my finger on it. What can it be? p.s. I'm looking for some walnut PTBs or CTBs. Do you mind sharing the details of yours?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ A pocket square, guy?! *badoing!
rimshot.gif

I think the shoes could be a slightly darker brown, for my tastes, and suede, also!
nest.gif

The tie is what I like the most... which wasn't the point, was it?!
ffffuuuu.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the shoes could be a slightly darker brown, for my tastes, and suede, also!
nest.gif

If it is hot and humid, wearing more of a tan shoe lightens up the look and feel of a dark navy linen. A darker shoe makes a dark suit look warmer on a hot day, to me anyway.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If it is hot and humid, wearing more of a tan shoe lightens up the look and feel of a dark navy linen. A darker shoe makes a dark suit look warmer on a hot day, to me anyway.

So - details?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess, I know what you mean. I'm just picky, that's all"”that's the thing with fashion, people get their mind set on things. Doesn't mean that other people are, necessarily, wrong.
decisions.gif
For example, you way you tied your shoe-laces"”going up"”I prefer to go down? I don't know why that bugs me?!
puzzled.gif

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy looks very nice for a linen suit. However, from a functionality point of view (dark colors absorb more radiation/heat) it might be not perfect for a summer suit if you live in a really sunny area...the British colonial troops chose khaki as uniform color for a reason.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
Navy looks very nice for a linen suit. However, from a functionality point of view (dark colors absorb more radiation/heat) it might be not perfect for a summer suit if you live in a really sunny area...the British colonial troops chose khaki as uniform color for a reason.

Acrid recently posted something about black being better in the heat in windy conditions. He even posted a research article about it. Wish I could find it...

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense, jcmeyer, because I really don't like picking on people (unlike some members! *cough), I think (for a shoe that is similar) you can't go wrong with a beige, Clarks Originals desert boot (or even the new brogue version"”for a lower cut"”although, they do seem a little dorky!)!

Originally Posted by lasbar

Yeah, the brogues look a little weird"”wouldn't bother me if I saw someone wearing them, though. Yeah, I know, candid/bluff/whatever.

No offense taken. There are just a few people on here who won't be invited to my birthday party. And I'm not a fan of either of those styles but I appreciate the help.

I received my MTM navy linen suit today and I'm pretty happy with the fit. A tweak here and there and it should be good to go. That said, the shoes I posted do not work at all with the suit as PSG rightly stated.
blush.gif
It's more the silver eyelets than anything. But I still like them-- wore them today with light khakis:

2d99y7d.jpg

And they go well with jeans as well. Will post some pics of my new suit if I get the chance.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hay, they actually look pretty nice with your feet in them! I guess they were just floppy, without foot?! How can you not be a fan of Clarks desert boots..?!
The%20Horror.jpg

sajohnson05

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to try on the BB Fitzgerald model next time im there. Hope to find one soon but really love to find a patch pocket one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads