• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fark, can we go back to the classic cars conversation? Its actually less boring than to topy or not to topy convo

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Time to move on. Might I get the forum's opinion on another matter.

Which Australians or Australian based person do people consider to be well dressed and/or turn to for inspiration? I can think of a few but would be interested to hear the views of others first (people have properly had enough of my opinions for the moment).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
blahman - little do you know I was on that concrete bridge and made it slippery just before you walked over it.

I'm onto you..

That's just creepy... especially when there is evidence to suggest that you live dangerously close to where I live and work dangerously close to where I work...

peepwall[1].gif

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Fair enough. Time to move on. Might I get the forum's opinion on another matter.

Which Australians or Australian based person do people consider to be well dressed and/or turn to for inspiration? I can think of a few but would be interested to hear the views of others first (people have properly had enough of my opinions for the moment).

Gee. Bit surprised you have to ask tbh.

LesPatterson.jpg

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Hmmmm, SF has destroyed me to the point I can only think of Phat Guido!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I've been Topy-ing my shoes, boots for many many years. (longer than blahman has been on this earth)

Partly for wear and repair - you just peel/cut off the Topy when it wears a bit - takes years - but also mainly for safety - with leather I don't know how many times I've nearly slipped arse over tit on marbled foyers, wet polished concrete or stairs.

Its not just by coincidence that most workplace OH&S guidelines recommend against leather soles.

The nonsense about leather needing to breathe through the sole to wick away sweat etc is just old men's tales and not based on any science, observable facts or logic.

For those who haven't yet Topyed - its not some huge thick slab of chunky rubber slapped willy nilly on the sole - its a thin, extremely hard wearing material that covers a little more than half the sole, does no damage at all and unless some iGent is kneeling under your desk with a magnifying glass or laying on the floor on the train with binoculars no one will be able to tell it isn't leather.

Sure some cobblers are yobbos with a tube of glue - but a good cobbler can fit Topy well - cut the rear edge into the sole and bevel the edges to look good. And use the tan/leather look Topy not the black stuff.

Given that almost no one in Australia - except McClouds and few others- even has the equipment, let alone the expertise , to re-furbish Goodyear welted properly then Topy protects the shoe and your collarbone, wrist or knee and hip. Not to mention hip pocket at $150 a refurbish.

All real shoe people use it - meister does and he's a major world wide celebrity in spade shoe circles, even our own world (in)famous shooman does.

fxh says : "HTFU and Topy your shoos - Y'know it makes sense"

You covered it bro'. No way leather soles...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Gee. Bit surprised you have to ask tbh...

Right. Except you're wrong.
907655-karl-stefanovic.jpg

lennier

Reaction score
Fair enough. Time to move on. Might I get the forum's opinion on another matter. Which Australians or Australian based person do people consider to be well dressed and/or turn to for inspiration? I can think of a few but would be interested to hear the views of others first (people have properly had enough of my opinions for the moment).
In terms of celebrities the only person who comes to mind that generally seems to get most things right is Hugh Jackman, but that's based on a very small sample of photos I've seen :)

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about...
Simon Baker?
Eric Bana? (And I know deep down there is still that bogan in there
blush.gif
)

tone76

Reaction score
Which Australians or Australian based person do people consider to be well dressed and/or turn to for inspiration?
Paul Keating. Not only once the World's Greatest Treasurer, but Australia's Snappiest Dresser too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads