• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J crew Ludlow or Thick as Thieves

truth11

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am currently looking to buy a first suit and have been researching a lot of different companies. I have narrowed it down to either the J crew ludlow series (probably in worsted wool) or a thick as thieves mtm suit. My question is if anyone has any information regarding the quality, fit etc. of these two different suits and which would probably be the better buy. Thank you.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truth11
Hi everyone I am currently looking to buy a first suit and have been researching a lot of different companies. I have narrowed it down to either the J crew ludlow series (probably in worsted wool) or a thick as thieves mtm suit. My question is if anyone has any information regarding the quality, fit etc. of these two different suits and which would probably be the better buy. Thank you.

Thick as Thieves. Hands down. I own a navy two button traditional cut Thick as Thieves. The quality is absolutely superb and Jason is a pleasure to work with. The J Crew ludlow is of marginal construction quality and never looks as good on guys in real life as it does on the models in the catalog.

truth11

Reaction score
Yeah that's the direction I have been leaning in after reading a lot of posts on style forum. I just know J Crew suits fit me well and have seen them in person but have not seen any tat products in person. I think i will try to meet with Jason this summer while I am back in California.

truth11

Reaction score
One thing that drew me to J Crew was their suit vests which unfortunately Jason doesn't make at the time.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may interject and ask that you consider another option: Brooks Brothers. If you like the slimmer fit, try the Milano or Fitzgerald cuts. It's terribly difficult to nail a MtM suit correctly for your "first suit." And moreover, you want it to look good for a few years. Take a look at this Milano or this Fitzgerald from the Brooks 1818 line. The tagged price is higher than TaT or J Crew, but the friends and family sale starts next week. You're getting a better buy with either of these than a J Crew suit. Best of luck.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
If I may interject and ask that you consider another option: Brooks Brothers. If you like the slimmer fit, try the Milano or Fitzgerald cuts.

It's terribly difficult to nail a MtM suit correctly for your "first suit." And moreover, you want it to look good for a few years.

Take a look at this Milano or this Fitzgerald from the Brooks 1818 line. The tagged price is higher than TaT or J Crew, but the friends and family sale starts next week. You're getting a better buy with either of these than a J Crew suit.

Best of luck.

Whats the pricing for a BB suit with Friends and Family?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the suits. I've picked up 1818s for less than $500.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the cut of TaT suits, even on their models.

truth11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I don't like the cut of TaT suits, even on their models.

Just wondering but what don't you like about the tat cut?

truth11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
If I may interject and ask that you consider another option: Brooks Brothers. If you like the slimmer fit, try the Milano or Fitzgerald cuts.

It's terribly difficult to nail a MtM suit correctly for your "first suit." And moreover, you want it to look good for a few years.

Take a look at this Milano or this Fitzgerald from the Brooks 1818 line. The tagged price is higher than TaT or J Crew, but the friends and family sale starts next week. You're getting a better buy with either of these than a J Crew suit.

Best of luck.

That is definitely an option but I think their 36s may still be too big for me, most otr suits don't fit me well :/

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is definitely an option but I think their 36s may still be too big for me, most otr suits don't fit me well :/

How tall are you, and what's your weight?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering but what don't you like about the tat cut?
The cuts look disproportionate. The jackets are too short and look almost effeminate. I realize that it's a trendy look, but for a first suit it will make you stand out in a bad way. Have a look:
top-row-1.jpg
top-row-5.jpg
bottom-row-4.jpg
Even the "traditional" cuts/styles look a bit off:
top-row-2.jpg
top-row-4.jpg
bottom-row-2.jpg
Nothing against the seller. I have heard good things about the fabric and service as well. I just don't think it's a good idea for you to invest in a MTM suit, especially in a non-typical cut, without having more experience with suits so you find out what works best on you.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TaT are far better than BB or JCrew's old man fits.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
TaT are far better than BB or JCrew's old man fits.

facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads