• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
This whole concept more or less ignores the fact that good shoes are constructed the way they are so that the sole may be replaced fairly easily and the shoe restored to its original lines/sleekness, etc..

That said, once you get going down this path the logical next step is to put topy on topy so that the topy never has to be replaced.

I've seen it.

Wise words indeed

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
People with metal taps: do you get funny looks from others when you walk on hard surfaces? The click clacks must conjure images of tapdancing

sometimes from idiots only, though.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII
This whole concept more or less ignores the fact that good shoes are constructed the way they are so that the sole may be replaced fairly easily and the shoe restored to its original lines/sleekness, etc..

That said, once you get going down this path the logical next step is to put topy on topy so that the topy never has to be replaced.

I've seen it.

Originally Posted by entrero
Wise words indeed

Never seen that. But I didn't get to the billion mark yet either.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
People with metal taps: do you get funny looks from others when you walk on hard surfaces? The click clacks must conjure images of tapdancing

the flush units don't make much if any noise from what I've experienced.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the flush units don't make much if any noise from what I've experienced.
+1. Mine don't make any noise.

pwy95a

Reaction score
EG Chelseas...Happy with the work except they didn't get the stitching nailed on the waist of the sole...came undone...I took them back and they tried using glue, but it came undone again. I'm sure if they had another shot they'd get it right, but for me the wait time is a big deal. Would likely give them another shot but they gotta nail it on the 1st try...

Benjamin E.

Reaction score

I have 2 pairs of dress shoes: a vintage pair of Florsheim Kenmoors and a pair of English made monkstraps. The Kenmoors have a metal heel plate (not flush) and the monks have leather heels with nails that have become rather exposed. The Kenmoors make a clicking sound on stone surfaces, but it's nothing like the clamor the monks make. They're loud and very slippery, so I'll probably get a piece of rubber put over the heels so they're more wearable. While I don't think I get funny looks now, when I wore dress shoes in high school, kids would turn around in the hall looking to see if a teacher was coming.

poissa

Reaction score
what is JR?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 2 pairs of dress shoes: a vintage pair of Florsheim Kenmoors and a pair of English made monkstraps. The Kenmoors have a metal heel plate (not flush) and the monks have leather heels with nails that have become rather exposed. The Kenmoors make a clicking sound on stone surfaces, but it's nothing like the clamor the monks make. They're loud and very slippery, so I'll probably get a piece of rubber put over the heels so they're more wearable. While I don't think I get funny looks now, when I wore dress shoes in high school, kids would turn around in the hall looking to see if a teacher was coming.

Just go ahead and have the heel changed to rubber. I have a pair of vintage florshiems that had that same issue with the nails. That was the first thing I did, and I'm tremendously happy that I did it. The original stacked leather with vibram. It'll cost you the same as any reheeling, around $20. Prices may vary in the New York market.

what is JR?

A brand that makes top grade sole leather.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just go ahead and have the heel changed to rubber. I have a pair of vintage florshiems that had that same issue with the nails. That was the first thing I did, and I'm tremendously happy that I did it. The original stacked leather with vibram. It'll cost you the same as any reheeling, around $20. Prices may vary in the New York market.

actually, one could learn to walk instead of destroying a piece of history, imo.

xudisco07

Reaction score

actually, one could learn to walk instead of destroying a piece of history, imo.

Yes - try to walk a bit slower. You will learn how to walk in them after a few times when you almost fall. Granted I have never walked in the v-cleat (I've been looking for a pair and refuse to buy a pair without it), but I have a pair of shoes with a double row of nails all the way around the heel that was very slippery before I learned to walk correctly.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta add my feedback. After viewing the Nelson website, I expected a refinishing job, as advertised, I brought in a pair of PS stuarts choice boots with danite soles and asked for such. They replaced the danite soles and charged me $100 but there appeared to be 0 upper refinishing or and other changes beyond sole replacement. I was less than impressed. perhaps I didn't ask correctly, or didn't notice the subtle changes they made.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I gotta add my feedback. After viewing the Nelson website, I expected a refinishing job, as advertised, I brought in a pair of PS stuarts choice boots with danite soles and asked for such. They replaced the danite soles and charged me $100 but there appeared to be 0 upper refinishing or and other changes beyond sole replacement. I was less than impressed. perhaps I didn't ask correctly, or didn't notice the subtle changes they made.

Why does this not surprise me?...

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can B Nelson resole Blake rapid shoes specifically Ron Rider's ?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He has resoled blake rapid shoes that I own, but I have been wondering about my rider boots as well. The welt almost looks like it is pierced with an awl. Very large uniform holes. I would imagine if a machine were to just run through it again without being matched up properly to the holes it could come out looking very ugly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads