• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Spring 2011: the 'Elgin' and/or the 'McTavish'

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those and realized but for the material used, they are rather similar to the classic collection, the Strand in particular and there are almost no occasion where the Strand in walnut could not be used in their place and many occasions where the Strand or Mcallister would be a far superior choice.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these shoes made with horween natural chromexcel leather? It sort of looks like it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not available in extra narrow widths.
frown.gif

Steeze

Reaction score
Bump. Mctavish or Elgin? These are both on the 5 last I believe

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steeze
Bump. Mctavish or Elgin? These are both on the 5 last I believe

Both are pretty nice. If I had to pick just one it would be the Elgin.

kungapa

Reaction score
I opted for the McTavish - but I wear it mostly with chino's or jeans.

soxpats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
I opted for the McTavish - but I wear it mostly with chino's or jeans.

I've been looking at both these and was going to get the Elgin (I love my Strands). What makes the McTavish a better choice to wear with jeans then the Elgin? I was thinking just the opposite. Just wondering.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
I've been looking at both these and was going to get the Elgin (I love my Strands). What makes the McTavish a better choice to wear with jeans then the Elgin? I was thinking just the opposite. Just wondering.

A personal preference for wing-tips, haha.

On a serious note, it is slightly less formal than the punched cap-toe. Though I guess the difference is marginal given the leather and what not.

kellgy

Reaction score
I'm likin' the look of the leather on the McTavish. That's because I am looking for a lighter colored leather to fill that void in my very small collection.

Edit: OP thanks for the links. I didn't know that Shoe-Store offered free shoe trees, polish, and shipping!

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new pair of casual shoes. I found two new AE shoes that caught my eye. Wanted your opinion on these.... look okay? Wasn't sure what is meant by 'waxy' and 'wax infused' in the descriptions. http://bit.ly/hhXe6Zhttp://bit.ly/fPLFD3

I just picked up a pair of the McTavish. Not sure specifically about the "wax infusing" process. But the associate at the AE store I went to said they are "saddle soap only." I take that to mean saddle soap and reno only...

Last edited:

JakeLA

Reaction score
Those are ugly shoes that scream Dad on HIs Day Off. For the same price you can buy three pairs of Clark's Desert Boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics