• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vets: Did military service effect your sense of style?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serving in the army definitely had an effect on my sense of style. It taught me how to show a little personality while adhering to the regulations. There are strict restrictions on what one can and must wear on a daily basis, but there is enough wiggle-room to make self-expression somewhat possible. It's not all that different from conservative business dress. To the untrained eye, everyone looks the same, but the canny observer notices the small details.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other than using starch when we were told not to, "baking" my jump boots to get the mirror shine that lasted a few weeks and putting my wet cover over a #10 can to get that perfect edge on top.. yup, fixed me right on up style-wise
eh.gif

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
other than using starch when we were told not to, "baking" my jump boots to get the mirror shine that lasted a few weeks and putting my wet cover over a #10 can to get that perfect edge on top.. yup, fixed me right on up style-wise
eh.gif

While nothing you named is aplicable to or advisable in the real world, all of them show that you went above and beyond the standard for personal appearance. Did you have the same attention to sartorial detail before your service?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, probably not many views so far. Besides shoe shine and other care preferences, there could be influences on colors, hat choice, etc. Maybe even an OCD attention to detail. Where are the comments from veterans?

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I was only ever a cadet, but I was actually thinking about this the other day. I remember spending hours pressing my uniform, polishing my boots, cleaning my belt, scrubbing the brass on it to a mirror finish. The military fetishizes care of your clothing (uniform) and I definitely think that this environment where I tried to excel in every aspect certainly had an affect on how I attend to my personal appearance, and how I care for my clothes. I don't think it directly affected my style per say, but it definitely has shaped my approach to clothing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. My dad (Italian Army officer) often wore a knit tie (wool in winter, silk in summer) with his uniform instead of the regulation solid silk repp. He also wore chelsea boots instead of the regulation captoe oxfords. Not sure he could get away with this these days though.

escheriff

Reaction score
I was an Army ROTC cadet for my first 3 years of college, just a few years ago. We wore digital camo ACUs on class days and those damn patrol caps. No more dress uniforms except for functions and commissioning. Nevertheless, even with the ACUs, if anything was out of regulation, we'd get **** for it, at least with our CO. Only place for self-expression was sunglasses, but even those were expected to be conservative.

I do recall though, that some of the ex-enlisted guys in our battalion wore slightly different boots than standard issue, like Oakleys.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was about the least neat soldier in the world - the IDF isn't known for spit and polish, and there is a sort of culture that the closer you are to the sharp end the less care you take of your appearance.

but it has influenced me- I like a very simple color pallet, I only wear boots, no low shoes, I like comfortable hard wearing clothing.

kungapa

Reaction score
Great thread! This brings me back. There were the tiny details - a few comes to mind:

At the barracks we wore our fatigues, albeit without the field equipment.

- The beret fold - we would obsess over the berets, making sure the felt folded down along the head in exactly the right way, spending hours forming it with water.

- When indoors, the beret placement in the breast pocket, folding it so that the emblem showed.

- Lots of innovative use of the "multi-purpose cloth" - during cold days used as a scarf or ascot.

- Choice of shirt under the uniform - most soldiers would wear a t-shirt or a thermal shirt under the uniform - us officers would instead wear the issued collared shirt with the issued cardigan.

- The boot-shine. At the barracks, it was almost a daily competition as to who had the shiniest boots. This one guy tried to cheat with silicone once - he never tried that again.

- A piece of flair - of sorts - was the choice of personal knife. For a while I carried a rather large parang, and put it on my back in my combat vest while in the field. All until my CO in anticipation of an upcoming general's visit ordered me to "get rid of the sword".

- In the field face paint became a mode of expression, in addition to the knife choice.

Of course, every single item of these pieces of clothing apart from the boots went in different hues of green - a very monochrome appearance.

I think the most enduring thing I learned from the army was to take proper care of my clothing - the difference between a well-cared for boot and a not properly cared for boot was huge, especially during the colder or wetter months. Sometimes the weather would dip down to around -20 Fahrenheit. The worst were the rainy days with 30-40 degrees fahrenheit - that is when the shoe care really mattered. To this day I really enjoy putting on some good music and polishing a shoe or two to a good shine.

Davelli0331

Reaction score
Marine veteran here. The Corps definitely had a profound effect on my style choices:
1.) I press just about everything I wear, including t-shirts and shorts. I also laugh at anything claiming to be "non-iron", as it will not live up to my standards of looking pressed without ironing.
2.) I detest anything more than a slight break in dress trousers.
3.) I obsessively clip loose strings off my jackets and trousers. These strings had the very politically incorrect name "Irish Pendants". No idea why.
4.) My dress shoes will always have a shine. Not always a mirror shine, as that is one of the few things I don't still do.
5.) I still wear my hair very, very short. Not a regulation "high and tight", but pretty close. I've tried growing my hair out, but it makes me look like a college kid who thinks he knows it all :)

I definitely have some OCD regarding my appearance and how I project myself to others. My poor wife is also subjected to my OCD, but I'll be damned if either of us look like dipshit ****-knuckle poorly dressed morons.

Oh, and I did get married in my dress blues. Could I have gotten a killer tux? Yup, but I'm prouder of my service to this country than my sense of style.

Seattlite

Reaction score
With school time, I've been wearing a Navy uniform almost everyday for the past 10 years. I agree with the other posters that you look for ways to style up your uniform; the very small, but significant changes you're authorized to make. The list is pretty endless, from material used, boot type, even choice of pen to stick out of the working uniform pocket.
However, I've found that focusing on the uniform appearance does not translate to civilian clothing choices. My friends agree, and you get some people that can dress quite sharply, and others that are pretty clueless (myself included up to a year ago). The simplicity of having a base appearance to then accent makes it easier, so when I was first had to think about what color shirt, tie, trousers, shoes, socks, it nearly sent me into an uncontrolled dive. The principles are the same, but it has made me more dependent on solid colors, usually dark or blue because it's rarely wrong. I'm very hesitant to dapple with lighter pastel colors, and floral patterns seem right out for me.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I spent 3 years in the army reserves, and it did make me a bit OCD where suits and the like are concerned. Shoes are highly polished - not like mirrors, but my black oxfords are pretty damned close. I also obsess about my tie - it has to be the *exact* length, and the dimple just so, before I can leave the house. I've been known to re-tie it 5 or 6 times until I feel it's suitable.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Army, 1/75 Ranger (Airborne) from 82-85

1) Never got over the short hair thing. Still get a haircut every 2 weeks although it was weekly in the military.
2) Clean, shined shoes always.
3) Crisp ironed shirts
4) No threads hanging off of clothing. I cut them off now, but we burned them off with a lighter back then.
5) We had 14 pairs of BDU's issued. 7 for the field and 7 for the barracks. The barracks versions had all but one of the pockets on the shirt sewn closed and the cargo pockets were sewn closed as well. The idea was that they would look very clean when heavily starched (which was done free at the base).
6) We shaved the extra "fuzz" off our berets and shaped them just right. Back in those days, only those in the Ranger Battalions wore black berets. Later on, in an effort to make the regular troops look better (and boost morale), the Pentagon gave black berets to all of the regular troops and gave tan berets to the Rangers.
7) Our field caps (we were made to wear Kevlar helmets about 1984) were creased just right.

I'm a chef-instructor now and I take my culinary uniform very seriously as well, and I expect my students to do the same.

graphite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by escheriff
I was an Army ROTC cadet for my first 3 years of college, just a few years ago. We wore digital camo ACUs on class days and those damn patrol caps. I do recall though, that some of the ex-enlisted guys in our battalion wore slightly different boots than standard issue, like Oakleys.
lulz "those damn patrols caps." if you were a soldier any more than just a cadet you'd know that the transition from patrol caps to the berets was the worst goddam thing the army ever did, ever. they should give the beret back to the rangers and let everyone else the practical headgear. also oakley boots suck and wear out in about a year. they were pretty flashy though, and comfortable. but for the $$ and the longevity, not worth it.

austerlitz

Reaction score
I have served both in the Shine and Iron party army and this new no starch, no shine, no iron, dirty boots ar'aight army. From Military Academy, - I learned to shine the hell out of brass and other metal items, even my tie bar must be shiiinyy
bounce2.gif
- I can put a mirror shine on shoes - I dont really focus on ironing as most of my stuff gets ironed at the cleaners - pockets always buttoned, this was a MAJOR peeve at school -nothing over the top shiny.... shiny is bad...
lol8[1].gif
-no strings, burned off with lighter -laces tucked..... As per personality wise - I wont be caught DEAD
laugh.gif
in certain things - I keep it clean and simple (less is more) - I try to appear my best at any event regardless, I mean, i dont wear a tux to Costco, but I keep my personal appearance sharp. - I groom hair to military regs
eh.gif
but most people outside of uniform are terrible dressers.... its just unbelievable... at my regimental ball a while back, I was the ONLY person with a self-tied bow tie..... besides the CG of the Division

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads