• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
That looks awesome, Parker. My tie today (from Howard Yount) looks just like that.
I could swear there's one factory in Italy that makes that tie then just sells to every brand. I have the same tie from Belgravia, I've seen a Paul Smith one, there's that Howard Yount one... Then again, it's not like it's a special pattern I suppose
redface.gif
I still feel bad because I never got the light purple version with white dots.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'm still keeping an eye out for you, A

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I could swear there's one factory in Italy that makes that tie
No. There are a number of makers. Almost all are good but you can tell a difference with some of them. For example, the Drakes ones are more crunchy. The Charvet are the heaviest. The ones that Paul Stuart sells are the best value/feel for the money IMO. But if you want a unique color or a classic that you will wear forever, consider spending more getting the Drakes or Charvet.

Diavolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
0FnSA.jpg

SZX5Q.jpg

8ER2P.jpg

Okay, I'm going to try to reform and be constructive.

I love this suit, love the tie and shirt - but does the colour of the shoes (forget my preference for double monks) conflict with what appears to be the burgundy in the tie and socks?

I think a chocolate brown shoe looks great with deep purple accessories such as socks and ties - preferably suede which I suppose is not conservative business dress.

Diavolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Parker keeps killing.

*waits for forvm smart alec to criticize the matching socks/tie*

He has been the gold standard over the years.

BTW if this is an international thing, surely double monks and knit ties are conservative business dress in Italy?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
No. There are a number of makers. Almost all are good but you can tell a difference with some of them. For example, the Drakes ones are more crunchy. The Charvet are the heaviest. The ones that Paul Stuart sells are the best value/feel for the money IMO. But if you want a unique color or a classic that you will wear forever, consider spending more getting the Drakes or Charvet.

Mine feels pretty heavy/crunchy so I'm guessing that it would be one of the better ones.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I agree. The crunch (cri de soie...) of the Drake's really does it for me. I also have one of the bicolor Gallo ones, which is nice, but much softer/less substantial.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diavolo
Okay, I'm going to try to reform and be constructive.

I love this suit, love the tie and shirt - but does the colour of the shoes (forget my preference for double monks) conflict with what appears to be the burgundy in the tie and socks?

I think a chocolate brown shoe looks great with deep purple accessories such as socks and ties - preferably suede which I suppose is not conservative business dress.

Interesting - I didn't notice that in the picture but I do find myself that I have a hard time combining chestnut colored shoes with red or burgundy. I find that more true with casual outfits when the bold color is the trousers or shirt.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
hCGlL.jpg

Looks great, even though I'm not a fan of pocket squares with coloured edges. I'm considering ordering a DJ in this configuration. What's the thinking behind the single boutonniere? Is it to make it more casual?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a dry wedding today. They should be illegal. CWD maybe (socks excepted)?

CaymanS

Reaction score
Looking good, counselor.

But...blocking-out your eye candy's face = criminal.

I'm gonna ask the prosecutor to press charges...
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Looks great, even though I'm not a fan of pocket squares with coloured edges. I'm considering ordering a DJ in this configuration. What's the thinking behind the single boutonniere? Is it to make it more casual?

There was no thinking. It was originally made with no lapel hole at all and I said "Hey, I like to wear a flower, this needs holes." And it came back with one, angled down. At first I was
ffffuuuu.gif
but then I figured, since I always wear a flower with black tie and no one would see it, I would just roll with it. No way to add another though, because two angled down would look even worse than one.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Looking good, counselor.

But...blocking-out your eye candy's face = criminal.

I'm gonna ask the prosecutor to press charges...
laugh.gif

The pictures you are about to see are real. The faces have been blanked to protect the innocent...

Originally Posted by srivats
That suit looks realy nice, Lutfy. The fit is spot on everywhere. Please tell me that is not vintage.

It's a BB Regent from maybe 1-2 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics