• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Kirkland Bourbon sucks. Even at $17 I would not recommend.

Eh, I thought it wasn't bad, and I paid $20 for it. I also used it to make my spin on an old-fashioned - mixed it with some clementine-infused simple syrup and angostura bitters - and it was pretty good too. Sure, for around $20 I'd rather have a 750ml bottle of Buffalo Trace, or I'd even prefer to pay $5 more for a 750ml bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr, but I wouldn't say it sucks.

Prince

Reaction score
Just back from the liqour store. Wanted to stock up a bit. Was looking for Woodford since I loved it last time I had it, but they ran out of it. Didn't know what to get Bourbon wise so ended up giving Makers a try. You don't see it that often over here, so it is not as regular as for you guys. Had a small sip when I got home (not too much, it is freaking hot right now so prefer the beer) and the first impression was pretty positive. Then again, I can only give my opinion after a few glasses, so watch this space.
wink.gif

BCD

Reaction score
As a resident of the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, I drink a lot of bourbon and try many different kinds. Came across a good "bang for the buck" the other day. Russell's Reserve. It's a 10-year bourbon under $30. Very, very underrated IMO. That is all.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope its better than their rye, which I really do not enjoy.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Picked up the 1997 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Very nice, and I don't like run of the mill OF.

Their Birthday Bourbons are head and shoulders above the regular stuff. I just finished a bottle of the 1995, and I'll miss it. Each year is somewhat different, but they're all excellent from what I've tried.

Retailers hate them, the bottle takes up way too much shelf space
laugh.gif

Esa

Reaction score
Ok. I just polished off a bottle of Four Roses single barrel (from BevMo). I liked it but want to try something new and I'm looking for advice as I'm pretty new to bourbon. I've tried Mark's and Bulliet as a base for my ol' fashion. I've now tried makers 46 and four roses straight - I liked the roses better. I have a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 that I'm enjoying only on special occasions (ie San Jose Shark games)...

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Hope its better than their rye, which I really do not enjoy.

Funny you should say that. I bought a bottle of the rye a few months back, but never opened it until last night. Did not like it at all. Not even remotely. Seemed very one dimensional, grassy almost. Not sure if I can even use it to mix..
ffffuuuu.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Funny you should say that. I bought a bottle of the rye a few months back, but never opened it until last night. Did not like it at all. Not even remotely. Seemed very one dimensional, grassy almost. Not sure if I can even use it to mix..
ffffuuuu.gif

My notes read, "Flat. Do not buy again." I killed the bottle on Ward 8's, and really, even they didn't seem that good, which is remarkable. ~ H

GreenNYC

Reaction score
Tried a new bourbon last weekend.....Redemption High-rye Bourbon. The salesman told me that it has a higher rye content than most bourbons. I found it to be far smoother than KC, EC or Bulleit. You can definitely note the rye. Overall I found it to be quite different than other bourbons I've tasted....mellower.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Killed another bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23. Liked it a lot, but could it have a dumber name?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Killed another bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23. Liked it a lot, but could it have a dumber name?

Yes.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Yes.
mclaughlin_oreo_cookie_0713.jpg
WRONG! The correct answer is "NO!" Pappy Van Winkle is the dumbest name for a Bourbon EVER! [/end90'sreference]

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A

very nice.. ama and I had a good discussion here a year or so back on whether or not the 23 yo was worth the upcharge from the 20 yo. I felt it was, and still do, but I don't buy it regularly. I think I have a half bottle stuffed somewhere in the recesses of my measly bar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads