• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you take a 50% pay cut to pursue your passion?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gtfo OP. my passion is $$$$$$

Zach

Reaction score
I think it would depend on where I am in life. I am pursuing my passion now, and it will have taken ~15 years of education to attain. At some point I need to get out and make some decent money, though down the road I could certainly see taking a significant pay cut to pursue other interests (related interests, but in a different setting).

Eponym

Reaction score
Not a chance. I work in this profession so that I can pursue my passions. (in the very limited amount of time I have outside of the office).

Besides, spend enough time working at something and you'll eventually hate it.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Nope. None of my passions make 50% of what I make. More like 12%.
biggrin.gif

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goddamn I am jealous. Not only do you love your job, but you also have the best avatar on SF.

I think about changing the avatar now and then, but i suspect the protests would be vehement

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Nah, I had a chance to get (very well-)paid for pursuing one of my passions as a job a few years back. After a year, it felt like a job, and my enthusiasm was waning. I went back to my old job. I guess the lesson is, "Go, pursue, but leave on good terms.".
thumbs-up.gif

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every single one of my passions would take $$ away instead of making any,,,

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Definitely. Money is meaningless to me as long as it is over a certain bar. Luckily, 50% of my current income is > than the bar.

nice! half of my income cant even buy you a 10 year old ****** car.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no. i've had progressive increases in pay/standard of living, and i get addicted/used to the next level pretty soon after i attain it
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer
Actually that is my plan in the next few years. I pretty much hate my life right now. My 16 year old son is battling Cancer (doing pretty well at the moment), I don't like my job, don't see any value in my marriage any more... I am trying to figure out what I can live without and whether I can find happiness doing something I enjoy. My fear is that I won't be happier and I'll be poor.
confused.gif

all the best to your son

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the future I might take a 50% paycut to work LESS so I could pursue my passion. Making your passion your job has always struck me as a bad idea.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
In the future I might take a 50% paycut to work LESS so I could pursue my passion. Making your passion your job has always struck me as a bad idea.
I'm passionate about creating businesses. That has proven to be a great idea

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads