• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally some sunshine, albeit still cool. Made me want to wear suede today

AldenSuede.jpg

enigma77

Reaction score
Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Random question -- what are people's thoughts on shell boots for dancing? I'm going to a wedding tomorrow, and was considering wearing some ravello wingtip boots. Thoughts? Will the shell be OK?

Depends on the last - Barrie? NFW Plaza? Good

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77

As opposed to what?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

You don't need to go to the EG level to find quality higher than Alden. My C&J shells are nicer than my Alden shells.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
You don't need to go to the EG level to find quality higher than Alden. My C&J shells are nicer than my Alden shells.

I will most likely try CJ soon. I thought about Tricker's, but upon trying on a pair...that was just not my thing. EG is too MC for me. I don't like the overall last/appeal.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
I will most likely try CJ soon. I thought about Tricker's, but upon trying on a pair...that was just not my thing. EG is too MC for me. I don't like the overall last/appeal.

I enjoy my C&J shells on the 325 last very much. I would suggest you take a look.

etseq

Reaction score
I posted this is WTB, but if anyone has a pair of plaza wingtip boots in black in size 10D that they want to part with, let me know.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Finally some nice spring weather for whiskey:
Outstanding Chris! The NST looks great in whiskey.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck
So, I decided to get a pair of boots.
Thanks to LS for their help, what a great bunch of guys over there.

My fist pair of Alden boots, hopefully not my last.

88453038.jpg

58f9b72f.jpg

faca59df.jpg

and as you can see, the dog approves of these
smile.gif

d4735336.jpg

Nice purchase! Are these the 403 CXL Indy's?

Kevk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

The biggest difference I notice between my EG's and Aldens is in the stitching. EG uses more stitches per inch and is finished a lot cleaner (no loose ends). FYI, I have a pair of vintage shell Florsheim imperials that have nicer stiching than on my C&J's or my Alden shells.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevk
The biggest difference I notice between my EG's and Aldens is in the stitching. EG uses more stitches per inch and is finished a lot cleaner (no loose ends). FYI, I have a pair of vintage shell Florsheim imperials that have nicer stiching than on my C&J's or my Alden shells.

EG: More stitches that are more accurately placed; better quality leather (shell aside); sleeker lasts; better sole, edge and heel treatment; classically British designs; lousy customer service, redonculous MTO upcharge and limited availability in the US.

Alden: classic Americana; sloppy welt stitching; good mid-level leathers (shell aside); broad availability; long ass wait times for MTO and special orders; wide range of lasts available; significant QA issues appearing more and more frequently.

The upper end of Alden's pricing is converging on the lower end of EG's.

A better comparison for Alden is probably Vass - again, the upper end of Alden's prices are pretty close to the lower end of Vass', and Vass is lightyears ahead of Alden with respect to quality.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
A better comparison for Alden is probably Vass - again, the upper end of Alden's prices are pretty close to the lower end of Vass', and Vass is lightyears ahead of Alden with respect to quality.

I agree with this, but Vass has absolutely zero distribution channel in the US. I'd love to get a pair, but I simply can't "guess and buy" shoes for my hard to fit feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads