• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Multi-fold ties

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing more 7+ fold ties. Aside from a thicker knot, what does an 11-fold tie offer that a 7-fold doesn't? Does it imply better craftsmanship?

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there not a Vox thread about this. I have one 9-fold Isaia and can't for the life of me tell a difference between 7s.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by othertravel
I'm noticing more 7+ fold ties. Aside from a thicker knot, what does an 11-fold tie offer that a 7-fold doesn't? Does it imply better craftsmanship?
11-fold ties do not imply better craftsmanship - they imply interesting marketing most of the time. If you are using very thin fabric an 11-fold tie could be useful but with most luxury necktie fabric 11-folds serve no practical purpose. There should be no difference in the construction quality of a luxury tie due to the number of folds. I would pick a well made 3-fold over most 6 and 7 folds that are made quickly.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
11-fold ties do not imply better craftsmanship - they imply interesting marketing most of the time. If you are using very thin fabric an 11-fold tie could be useful but with most luxury necktie fabric 11-folds serve no practical purpose. There should be no difference in the construction quality of a luxury tie due to the number of folds. I would pick a well made 3-fold over most 6 and 7 folds that are made quickly.
So what you're saying David, is that I should have just ordered a 3 fold grenadine from you instead of a 6
tongue.gif

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober 11-fold ties do not imply better craftsmanship - they imply interesting marketing most of the time. If you are using very thin fabric an 11-fold tie could be useful but with most luxury necktie fabric 11-folds serve no practical purpose. There should be no difference in the construction quality of a luxury tie due to the number of folds. I would pick a well made 3-fold over most 6 and 7 folds that are made quickly.
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
So what you're saying David, is that I should have just ordered a 3 fold grenadine from you instead of a 6
tongue.gif

GradSchooler, First, I know that you are smiling as you type - but let me respond in detail in case others are curious: My post said that 11-folds are not usually practical I did not mention 6-folds which can be a very nice luxury if you like heavy ties that drape very well. Also when I said that I prefer a well made 3-fold over most 6 and 7 folds I was not talking about our Sam Hober 6 and 7 folds. With our ties the level of care taken in making every tie with all constructions is the same. The price difference between our 3 and 6-fold ties is due to the amount of silk used and the time to make the tie, not the construction skill. With ready made ties you won't get the same care put into the construction most of the time by most tie makers in terms of fit/finish and quality control. Also the custom design process is basically absent with a readymade tie. Here is an example of the custom made tie process: Yesterday, a gentleman who is a regular client ordered two unlined 7-fold Macclesfield ties from us and as part of the custom/bespoke process we talked about what he wanted to accomplish with his new order and after thinking about it we both decided in this case he would be better off with a lined 3-fold tie using the same Macclesfield silks. So his order was changed and a refund made. His goal was a lighter tie with a narrower knot compared to a recent tie made with a heavy English silk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads