• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing

s3lam

Reaction score
malaujai

I forgot to ask about the student discount on the Mark McNairy shoes and wasn't thinking about duties either...actually just wanted to see if they had them in person so I could go and physically handle them and try them on....140 sounds ok..but 300 is def a bit steep.

Last time I was at Eaton Center they only had the salmon colour ones...do they have more colours now...I am looking for the lighter blue one....

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the chinos, I think I saw a few colours the last time I was there. The grey ones at least.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linkinwayne
Yep, flash an ID. At the CM near my house, at least

Originally Posted by Meis
Yeah, they really really don't care. I'll talk to the cashier about school, will tell her I've already graduated, and I'll still be given the discount. ****, a good chunk of the time they won't even ask to see the ID.

Rad, many thanks. I kinda feel like I should own at least one pair of wearable shorts going into summer. I'll check them out.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by malaujai
For the record, the Davis chinos were $49 on promotion (aka, no student discount) at Eaton Centre.

I bought these two days ago (I think they're Davis anyways, they were 49$ on sale and chinos) and got to use the student discount with them. They're solid although I wish the fabric was a little lighter.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in their a few days ago and was surprised by how expensive some of the items are. A $130 for a shirt, about $300 for a blazer. It was the prices that used to keep me out of Club Monaco. I know it's been said before but it really pays to wait for these things to go on sale. Especially when in the sales rack I saw a $19 shirt and $90 tweed blazer.

s3lam

Reaction score
http://www.brownsfashion.com/product...2M27570006.htm

Can't believe these are 80GBP at Browns. Picked these same ones up at Eaton Center today for $49.99CDN (promo)

I was surprised at how well they fit. I sized down from my W+H size. In my opinion these chinos feel a bit more substantial in terms of fabric when compared to the W+H version. They actually remind me a bit of the UNIS chinos. I know the quality and construction of UNIS chinos are definitely more superior to that of the CM ones but at 49.99 you cant really complain. That being said I really want a pair of UNIS chinos but have other priorities at the moment.

Here is a fit pic for those who are interested. Size 31
DSC_8824.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I was in their a few days ago and was surprised by how expensive some of the items are. A $130 for a shirt, about $300 for a blazer. It was the prices that used to keep me out of Club Monaco. I know it's been said before but it really pays to wait for these things to go on sale. Especially when in the sales rack I saw a $19 shirt and $90 tweed blazer.

Woah, I didn't realize Club Monaco had become so expensive! Whom do they think they are anyway, J Crew? Reminds me of how J Crew thinks they can sell a $1000 jacket by claiming something like "Made in a top Italian factory", which is both generic and exotic sounding.

You have to admit the name "Club Monaco" is an insult to the customer's intelligence. It's presumably intended to sound exotic, yet it comes of as rather Disney or mall-like. The purpose is to sound exotic, yet still seem accessible to the average guy. The name is about as bad as French Connection, which tellingly the creator of this thread compared Club Monaco to.

Club Monaco is to fashion what the Olive Garden is to cuisine. Olive Garden likes to present itself as some higher end Italian restaurant for the everyman, while simultaneously advertising all you eat for only $7. Makes it seem like a good deal, but in reality you are being served canned soup and pre-made salad from a plastic bag.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so much hate in your post. cool. down. man.

not everyone can wear RRL, TF, TB every day ...

I like club Monaco and j crew. they target to the trim and their merchandize quality to price ration is great. For me they are a great places to get quality clothing that I don't care about spilling food on or working around the house in.

Originally Posted by BB1
Woah, I didn't realize Club Monaco had become so expensive! Whom do they think they are anyway, J Crew? Reminds me of how J Crew thinks they can sell a $1000 jacket by claiming something like "Made in a top Italian factory", which is both generic and exotic sounding.

You have to admit the name "Club Monaco" is an insult to the customer's intelligence. It's presumably intended to sound exotic, yet it comes of as rather Disney or mall-like. The purpose is to sound exotic, yet still seem accessible to the average guy. The name is about as bad as French Connection, which tellingly the creator of this thread compared Club Monaco to.

Club Monaco is to fashion what the Olive Garden is to cuisine. Olive Garden likes to present itself as some higher end Italian restaurant for the everyman, while simultaneously advertising all you eat for only $7. Makes it seem like a good deal, but in reality you are being served canned soup and pre-made salad from a plastic bag.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Woah, I didn't realize Club Monaco had become so expensive! Whom do they think they are anyway, J Crew? Reminds me of how J Crew thinks they can sell a $1000 jacket by claiming something like "Made in a top Italian factory", which is both generic and exotic sounding. You have to admit the name "Club Monaco" is an insult to the customer's intelligence. It's presumably intended to sound exotic, yet it comes of as rather Disney or mall-like. The purpose is to sound exotic, yet still seem accessible to the average guy. The name is about as bad as French Connection, which tellingly the creator of this thread compared Club Monaco to. Club Monaco is to fashion what the Olive Garden is to cuisine. Olive Garden likes to present itself as some higher end Italian restaurant for the everyman, while simultaneously advertising all you eat for only $7. Makes it seem like a good deal, but in reality you are being served canned soup and pre-made salad from a plastic bag.
Hi, I'm BB1, I go into threads I'm not really interested in and bash whatever cheap brand people are talking about. Who gives a ****. People like CM, people like J Crew, people like Olive Garden. Not everyone spends their time pretending to be ballers on the internet by trashing 'plebes'. I eat at Olive Garden and I eat at places you can't afford. I wear J Crew and I buy SF approved stuff. Having some some dick come blundering in and providing his analysis of a brand he obviously doesn't really care about means nothing to me. ****.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright fellas, before this thread goes south. Everyone just relax. I like CM myself but as everyone else has already said, only buy on sale!

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
I think that goes for pretty much anything clothing-related.

laugh.gif

haha yeah I love when people complain about a given brands retail prices... I mean when the hell do we pay retail on anything... from any brand. We pretty much only pay retail for packs of hanes tees

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Call up the store in South Coast Plaza, A LOT of items on sale for decent price. A LOT of chinos in variety of selection of colors for $49

They will ship it to you also

malaujai

Reaction score
Was at Club Monaco today again and they have new pairs of Chinos that are much lighter weight than the previous ones talked about in this thread (these are also in Davis cut)

They aren't on sale/promotion so still 69.50 (can get 20% student discount though)... I tried them on and they feel great for summer... Actually I picked them up and might get them hemmed (free alterations on full price items) to a cropped length above the ankles

I'm not sure how many colours they have

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads