• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
"He wouldn't notice if I took one little bite on the back there, would he?"

Oh, he would have been out the window if he did.
lol8[1].gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck
Oh, he would have been out the window if he did.
lol8[1].gif

But they look so chewy!

dmass1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
J Crew Aldens:

How do you like these? They're the bucks right? I'm thinking about picking up a pair.

They look much darker in this pic than on J crews site. What do you pair them with other than jeans?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
After a fair amount of bitching about how LHS don't fit me because of my high instep, I bought a vamp raiser. It did the trick, and they're as comfortable as can be.

Ravello LHS today.

outstanding! enjoy wearing

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
just bought the six eyelet chukka from tom at LSW will post pics when i get them.

you will be very pleased

vivalet

Reaction score
Is your approving dog a Vizsla?! I have two amazing Vizslas!

Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck
So, I decided to get a pair of boots.
Thanks to LS for their help, what a great bunch of guys over there.

My fist pair of Alden boots, hopefully not my last.

and as you can see, the dog approves of these
smile.gif

d4735336.jpg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
Thanks to HorseHide for these Cigar Captoe Boots with Commando Soles on the Grant Last (9D). All my other Aldens are 8.5D on the Barrie last so I took a flyer these would be TTS. Now I'm trying to get use to the sleeker look of the Grant last compared to the Barrie
smile.gif

very very very nice
teacha.gif

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
Thanks to HorseHide for these Cigar Captoe Boots with Commando Soles on the Grant Last (9D). All my other Aldens are 8.5D on the Barrie last so I took a flyer these would be TTS. Now I'm trying to get use to the sleeker look of the Grant last compared to the Barrie
smile.gif

And do you agree that they're TTS vs the Barrie?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone here owns shoes of a higher quality than Alden? Perhaps EG? If so, how does the quality compare? Some of the MC folks stated that the difference is quite noticeable, but I would like to know if anyone here personally has any inputs.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmass1
How do you like these? They're the bucks right? I'm thinking about picking up a pair. They look much darker in this pic than on J crews site. What do you pair them with other than jeans?
J Crew's Alden suede bucks (http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...6863/26863.jsp) show up pretty much as pictured, a light camel. Size-wise they may be TTS as I got mine in my normal Barrie configuration (one half down from Brannock sizing) and find them a little snug. But it's a snug that doesn't cause discomfort as the leather is very soft and giving (they are only partially lined). You might prefer more room if you have prominent features. I've only worn these with jeans so far but can imagine wearing them with rolled-up chinos or shorts in very informal situations. They're strictly for casual wear, imo. I use no-show socks with them. These bucks are very pricey at $445, they get dirty fast -- not a shoe for the overly fussy -- but the cut and silhouette are perfect. Classic summer shoe.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
Picked up an Oxford Suede (flex welt) at Alden SF today... really versatile with Khaki or Denim.
Super comfortable and with more ankle support than the suede chukka model.
5647529715_60f0379547_z_d.jpg

I had been looking for this exact shoe for awhile and ordered them after seeing your post.
Do you find that the blue rubs off on your pants? Wanted to wear them the first time out with a light colored trouser but didn't due to this concern.
Thanks

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
m9sh1g.jpg

2w6tb39.jpg

ravello lwb
argyles otc

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bl@ster
And do you agree that they're TTS vs the Barrie?
For me the Grant last seems TTS. I have 5 pairs on the Barrie last in 8.5D and some fit better than others (mostly forefoot width). These Cigar Captoe boots on the Grant are 9D and seem a tad loose (but not in the forefoot and length). I might have been able to drop down to 8.5D but I think it would have been tight in the toe area. Strikes me as similar (but a little better for my foot) to the Leydon last which I have had in the past, both 8.5D and 9D, but sold for the above reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads