• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
speaking of Bass loafers.....we were down in San Diego at a bass outlet store in Carlsbad and they were having an insane deal, buy any 1 pair get a 2nd pair free, or buy 1 pair at 60% off. wow, that is a good deal, my missus got herself a pair of classic burgundy penny loafers at 60% off. would have gotten me a pair but already have several loafers, Bass included.

and personally I like tassles with a beefroll and kickstay (i think that's what it's called) at the back heel. But NO kiltie like the Loake "Brighton" loafer.

stilts121

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
speaking of Bass loafers.....we were down in San Diego at a bass outlet store in Carlsbad and they were having an insane deal, buy any 1 pair get a 2nd pair free, or buy 1 pair at 60% off. wow, that is a good deal, my missus got herself a pair of classic burgundy penny loafers at 60% off. would have gotten me a pair but already have several loafers, Bass included.

and personally I like tassles with a beefroll and kickstay (i think that's what it's called) at the back heel. But NO kiltie like the Loake "Brighton" loafer.

All the Bass outlet stores have this deal. I need to go get a new pair myself and just told my wife it's time we went to the mall.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
... White Ben Shermans ... Other pastel colours was also worn.

My memory too. That pic I posted of myself and 'Cockney Bob' has us in pastel Bens.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Now there's another interesting difference within the London area - two tone Tonik was worn south of the river.

Never saw a blazer south of the river either, but plain mohair and PoW yes; a handful of blokes wore dog tooth check too.

Damn... you just made me think of 'Johnny Reggae' by the Piglets... I need to lie down in a darkened room.

I wouldn't wear two tone mohair now at my age, but only because I think it wouldn't suit me.

Wore Two Tone Mohair in the `60s(Blue and Green and Blue and Brown) and a Blazer(around 69`70)with POW or Puppytooth Check Trousers.Another deviation from Area to Area.Never wore Cravat then,but would now-if I had one.
Open neck Shirts were worn with Suits,I wore them that way-most of the time(unless I was out "on the Pull".
satisfied.gif

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember A J Martin Shoe Shop Little Venice Maida Vale London, Well its shut down, Great shoe shop, One of the Salesman was a Original Skinhead, When one could no longer get Royals I would buy Alfred Sargent Brogues..from them, Sad Loss.

Yes indeed Lasttye! I bought a pair of shoes from there a few weeks before it closed. Nice helpful woman serving. I thought they were all one family. Very good prices and they had their own shoes made up for them in small batches. Problem with redeveloping the premises and rent put them out of business. She told me their unsold stock was all going to John Rushton in Wimpole Street.

Sad loss as you say.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/s...s-1471276.html

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
According to Kevin Rowland the 'top boys' in Harrow, Willesden and Wembley wore long gaberdine, single-breasted, fly-fronted raincoats (usually navy, sometimes beige, occasionally off-white) in the early days.

Jim Ferguson states that Short straight, fly-fronted macs appeared with frequency in '69/'70 in off-white, iridescent blues & greys etc. This was the Skinhead outercoat (along with sheepskins)...

There is a Film about the "24 Hour Technicolour Dream"-I think that is what it was called.It was held in the Alexander Palace in North London(around `67),and it has a Guy wearing a longer Gaberdine Raincoat.It looked the B*ll*cks.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did we do 'back in the day' when it rained? The mods had pac-a-macs and parkas, but I don't remember any of our lot carrying umbrellas. Can anyone else who was 'there' in the late 60s remember doing anything other than turning their collars up and getting somewhere dry quick?
What about the Umbrellas with the sharpened Points.I had 2 Raincoats(still like them!)

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Wore a Blazer(around 69`70)

I just want to get it clear in my mind what we mean by 'blazer' in this discussion. Do we mean simply a jacket which did not match your strides (what my dad's generation might have called a 'sports jacket'), or specifically a navy blue jacket with metal buttons?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to get it clear in my mind what we mean by 'blazer' in this discussion. Do we mean simply a jacket which did not match your strides (what my dad's generation might have called a 'sports jacket'), or specifically a navy blue jacket with metal buttons?

This is a Blazer.

IMG_0911.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might not be what I had in mind by the term, but now I know what you're talking about. Thanks.
smile.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might not be what I had in mind by the term, but now I know what you're talking about. Thanks.
smile.gif

I think a Blazer is well worth having in your wardrobe, one can wear with Jeans, Trousers, Sta press, Any Shirt, or Polo, With a Tie or without, I often wear mine at Army Doos.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think a Blazer is well worth having in your wardrobe, one can wear with Jeans, Trousers, Sta press, Any Shirt, or Polo, With a Tie or without, I often wear mine at Army Doos.

+1

it might be considered more mod since I've never seen skinheads wear it this way, but I really like "separates suits", where a blazer/sport jacket is worn with different strides so they dont match (but obviously compliment each other). I think a very smart look, sometimes even moreso than a full suit

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be considered Mod these days, But a blazer was the first jacket i wore as a skinhead in the 60s, bought it second hand, I am wearing my Blazer with Regimental Tie. UTJ Nov 2010.
211569_741283848_793089_n.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
it might be considered more mod since I've never seen skinheads wear it this way, but I really like "separates suits", where a blazer/sport jacket is worn with different strides so they dont match (but obviously compliment each other). I think a very smart look, sometimes even moreso than a full suit

'Back in the day' I used to wear my PoW jacket with Sta-Prest, and I wasn't alone in that. And some blokes did wear a dark jacket (maybe a suit jacket or one bought separately) with Sta-Prest.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Back in the day' I used to wear my PoW jacket with Sta-Prest, and I wasn't alone in that. And some blokes did wear a dark jacket (maybe a suit jacket or one bought separately) with Sta-Prest.

Thats right MoM Lads would mix and match jackets and trousers all the time,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads