• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official EPL, Serie A, La Liga, Champions, Bundesliga world football threak!

delakingois

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS
he turns defending into an art form of the game as much as going forward is.

Pretty much this. I hate when people (one in particular in this thread) say:

I bring Real Madrid up because you supposed purists of the sport seem to take no umbrage with their cynical tackling, playing 10 men behind the ball, 20% possession AT HOME, etc....doesn't that ruin the game? I think so.
No, it doesn't. Being able to defend against this Barca is an artform in itself, which Inter pulled off beautifully last year (under Mourinho) and Real nearly did now (under Mourinho). Yes, up until the red card he did "outscheme" Pep. Oh, and Inter did it despite being given a very controversial red card against Motta.
tinfoil.gif

Barca hadn't scored a goal in open play in the last four hours of this quadruple-El Clasico, and there really was nothing suggesting that they would either.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Messi wouldn't have found the space for those goals if Pepe hadn't been sent off. Messi was totally out of the game for all 60 minutes while Pepe was on the field. Once that red came out, it was as good as over for Madrid.

which game are you talking about.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
which game are you talking about.

The game from last night of course unless u believe Messi was actually effective in that game before the red?? As great as he is,Mou keeps him ineffective when it's 11 vs. 11.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ANIKETOS
The game from last night of course unless u believe Messi was actually effective in that game before the red?? As great as he is,Mou keeps him ineffective when it's 11 vs. 11.

i haven't seen an unsportmanlike and unprofessional team like real acting in the last years.

yes, i believe, that he was effecive as much as you can, when you're attacked by two or three players.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
As a Liverpool fan, I can't believe I'm going to say this but I hope United win the final (I hate myself already for saying that) but last night's exhibition was a disgrace to football. Both teams cheating horribly, consistently and cynically.

My sentiments precisely. I'm against United because of the rivalry, but against Barca for the same reasons...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I need Dani Alves to teach me that awesome skill of stopping his leg in midswing and instantly swinging it the other way...perfect timing no less, with Pepe's studs just millimeters away (but not touching of course
wink.gif
)
worship.gif

that would be amazing...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared7
why we are commenting on how much of a dick Dani Alves is and what a bunch of girls Barca players are for rolling around and conning the ref. It's not rocket science.

dunno. real asked for that. better a good dive than a injuring tackling. do you agree?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is such a fair assessment of the game. Coming from someone who knows what they're talking about when it comes to these two teams.

Respect.

+1

Brian SD

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Here's the tackle for anyone interested.

Jared7

Reaction score
^ No contact whatsoever. A complete con and pathetic acting on the floor. Yet you still have deluded idiots like this clown below who defend this behaviour.

Wait...you.....you're not....implying that this wasn't a straight red...are you?
confused.gif

pro_photo1303936422.jpg

Straight red ******.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Another relevant video. Would have been better if it included Real's dives as well but still humorous. Mash, what the hell happened? He used to boss the midfield when he was a red and was tough as nails.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delakingois
Barca hadn't scored a goal in open play in the last four hours of this quadruple-El Clasico, and there really was nothing suggesting that they would either.
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
They scored 2 yesterday. Ah, I forgot, when it comes to Barcelona, no player should ever be sent off for a red card offense. I am LOVING this new "there was no contact" thing. Really brilliant. Granted...that video might show one angle...and it is kinda damning in the "Dani Alves tends to exaggerate" debate..which is like someone arguing that water is wet..we KNOW. But red cards aren't given based on the result of the play, they are given based on the action of the player. Studs up tackle on a dude's shin is a red card offense. Sorry, but it is. Steven Gerrard got the exact same card called on the exact same offense vs. Michael Carrick. He went in dangerously and studs up...Red card.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^and after a long night, he's back.

xudisco07

Reaction score
But red cards aren't given based on the result of the play, they are given based on the action of the player. Studs up tackle on a dude's shin is a red card offense.

Remember that one time Xavi Alonso did a studs up challenge on Frank Lampard and Frank got a red card? Oh man.

Anyway you are being a bit of a sore winner about this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads