• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fighting Against Unionization

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience fighting unionization? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

For background, I'm a graduate student supported by a research assistantship at a large public university. There is a currently a movement to unionize graduate research assistants university-wide. For a number of reasons I am against it, and I want to do something.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's always a movement to unionize graduate students and I don't know of a single one that was even close to successful. I don't know exactly how you'd "fight back," but ignoring it will probably give the same result.

Curious about what your stance is based on, PM would be fine if you don't want to talk about it here.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
Does anyone have any experience fighting unionization? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

For background, I'm a graduate student supported by a research assistantship at a large public university. There is a currently a movement to unionize graduate research assistants university-wide. For a number of reasons I am against it, and I want to do something.

I suggest going and finding a bottle, preferably a big one. A magnum of wine will do fine. Now grease it up with vaseline and shove that ****** right up your ass.

Grenadier

Reaction score
The big problem with grad students unionizing is that the have zero (0) bargaining leverage. Many, if not most, grad students are on some sort of scholarship, if not a full ride. So they don't bring in a lot of money to the university. To the extent that graduate students do bring in money, the university has has degrees and professors, giving the university a fair bit of leverage. Of course, the grad students can always leave and go elsewhere, but try getting into another graduate program after explaining that you left your old one because you couldn't unionize.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
There's always a movement to unionize graduate students and I don't know of a single one that was even close to successful. I don't know exactly how you'd "fight back," but ignoring it will probably give the same result. Curious about what your stance is based on, PM would be fine if you don't want to talk about it here.
Well, this one might be successful. Teaching assistants are already unionized here, and they are trying to absorb research assistants. They had union people going to every RA desk with their spiel, and they got at least 50% of grad students to sign their petition, so it will be going to a popular vote. The union has the resources to mobilize their base, while the unionization opponents do not. I'm thinking about ways to mobilize unionization opponents. I'll PM you with my reasons.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
The big problem with grad students unionizing is that the have zero (0) bargaining leverage. Many, if not most, grad students are on some sort of scholarship, if not a full ride. So they don't bring in a lot of money to the university. To the extent that graduate students do bring in money, the university has has degrees and professors, giving the university a fair bit of leverage. Of course, the grad students can always leave and go elsewhere, but try getting into another graduate program after explaining that you left your old one because you couldn't unionize.
This is wrong in a number of ways, but the most salient issue is your misunderstanding of the mechanism by which grad students are funded. They are on assistantships, not scholarships. This is a crucial distinction, and it's a major reason that the remainder of the assertions in your post don't hold water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics