• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
I'll get on that right away!
laugh.gif

- M

Oh!!! Thank goodness.
cool.gif

(was looking for the "wipe the sweat off my face" smiley. but the one above will do.)

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concordia...can you please post before and after pics of the buttons

Especially brace button pics...thanks in advance

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
If Ambrosi trousers have an objective weakness, it is the buttons. Savile Row uses very strong silk thread coated in beeswax, with a nice amount spacing the button from the underlying fabric. Braces buttons on SR stuff almost never come off.

Ambrosi buttons (and he does use a LOT of them) are fastened more like shirt buttons. I've had my cleaners replace a bunch of them, or at least re-fasten the brace buttons so they didn't pull the waist band out of shape.

Wonder why they don't put buttons on proper. It is not that hard.

My granddad when he sewed buttons on after making the neck would take it through the neck, then around one and a half times and through the neck again, then 3/4s of the way around and through, and then a quart to a third and take through. When he was pulling it out for the last time he would give it a quick jerk snapping the thread right where it came out. Where it breaks the thread explodes. You can watch videos and read books about testing rope strengths and they explain about the ropes exploding where it breaks. Anyway, it is a neat little trick when finishing off sewing on a button. Just don't drive the needle into hands or fingers when concentrating on snapping the thread.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Concordia...can you please post before and after pics of the buttons

No.

msawch

Reaction score
How tapered does the leg opening tend to be on Ambrosi trousers? What is the width of the leg opening in Ambrosi owners' experience?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by msawch
How tapered does the leg opening tend to be on Ambrosi trousers? What is the width of the leg opening in Ambrosi owners' experience?

Mine are 8.5" but that is what I asked for.

elgreco

Reaction score
Have people received their trousers post-thread kerfuffle?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Are we still talking about fkn shirts?

I think Ambrosi will move on to making shirts when he continues reading this thread...

jack220

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
Wonder why they don't put buttons on proper. It is not that hard.

My granddad when he sewed buttons on after making the neck would take it through the neck, then around one and a half times and through the neck again, then 3/4s of the way around and through, and then a quart to a third and take through. When he was pulling it out for the last time he would give it a quick jerk snapping the thread right where it came out. Where it breaks the thread explodes. You can watch videos and read books about testing rope strengths and they explain about the ropes exploding where it breaks. Anyway, it is a neat little trick when finishing off sewing on a button. Just don't drive the needle into hands or fingers when concentrating on snapping the thread.

Thread breaks / exploding, what?? Won't the knot unravel?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jack220

Don't believe it? You can read a book about it!

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jack220

What knot? Your not being a knot head are you?
smile.gif
Some knots will weaken a rope or thread by half.

hatguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Have people received their trousers post-thread kerfuffle?
i placed an order in september 2010 and paid in full with my fitting in early february 2011, and was instructed that the pants would be mailed 1 month from the fitting. fast forward to now...still no pants and no communication despite multiple emails. to be honest, this was my first bespoke order and the experience has been a little discouraging. anyone else have luck?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads